Do I need a 100 watt or a 200 watt siren?

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
How do I know which type of siren I need and how powerful it needs to be?

Discuss!

Please keep it clean and organized, this forum section is heavily moderated to keep information organized. We're going to use content from these discussions to compile a helpful guide for users seeking information about products in this industry.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
I would say that it depends on a number of factors. My city vehicle uses a single Whelen compact speaker with a 100W siren. It is adequate, but not particularly loud. In my personal vehicle, I have a 200W siren with two 100W TS100 type traditional speakers behind the grille. It absolutely rocks! The larger, more traditional speaker designs are IMHO much louder than any of the new compact designs. So much so that if a better speaker were used, wattage may not be as important (although it cant hurt).

I would put a 58W Federal Innterceptor and twin CP100 or fiberglass speakers up against any 100 or even 200W siren with compact speakers and I'll bet it would be louder.

If you are responding on straight a ways, more volume may be needed than in urban settings.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
years ago we had an engine that had a Federal Interceptor and twin CP100 chrome speakers.   I swear that setup was incredibly loud.  Much louder than most anything we have today.

I didn't realize that the Interceptor is only 58 watt??  Are you sure about that, I have always thought that was a 200 watt setup

Reactions: Skip Goulet

VFRDCHIEF1601

Mar 26, 2011
Verbena, Alabama
My department is planning an install with a Whelen 295SLSA6 & we already have (1) off brand 200w speaker that we would like to use due to space limitations behind the grill. My question is, beside's being a no name brand, will the (1) 200w speaker drive dual tones + airhorn effectivly or do we need to get (2) 100w speakers? Thanks.

Mods, If this is the wrong place please correct. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
No it will only drive one tone

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I didn't realize that the Interceptor is only 58 watt??  Are you sure about that, I have always thought that was a 200 watt setup
They Interceptor has a selectable 58 or 100 W output.

My department is planning an install with a Whelen 295SLSA6 & we already have (1) off brand 200w speaker that we would like to use due to space limitations behind the grill. My question is, beside's being a no name brand, will the (1) 200w speaker drive dual tones + airhorn effectivly or do we need to get (2) 100w speakers? Thanks.
To get 200 W out of a siren amp, you need either dual speakers or a dual coil speaker e.g., the Federal BP200, which are not common.

The off-brand versions I've seen are just a 100 W speaker with a 200 W sticker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
They Interceptor has a selectable 58 or 100 W output.

To get 200 W out of a siren amp, you need either dual speakers or a dual coil speaker e.g., the Federal BP200, which are not common.

The off-brand versions I've seen are just a 100 W speaker with a 200 W sticker.
The Interceptor did not have selectable output.  It and the Director were always 58 watt output. I had always thought that they were 75 watts but was quickly corrected by board member Wailer some time back.  The Interceptors and Directors would effectively drive either a single or double 58 watt speaker such as the SA24 or CP25.   Federal always claimed that you could get an effective 100 watts output out of those sirens when using dual speakers but I've never seen anything definitive on that.    What I have heard that was quite loud was on a '76 Dodge van ambulance in Canyon, TX was a simple Director that drove triple CP25 speakers.  That was loud.    I may be wrong, but I think that the first selectable-wattage siren from Federal was the PA200.   We had a '72 Chevy Type II van that came with twin CP100 speakers powered by a pushbutton North American siren.  We replaced the N.A. at some point with a PA200, and one of our guys added another pair of 100 speakers to the mix.  Now I know that a 200-watt siren isn't putting out 400 watts to those four speakers, but I guarantee, that siren cleared traffic better than any electronic siren I had ever used.

That having been said, I'd still rather stick to a good Q or Super Chief anytime.

Reactions: MtnMan

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I should have phrased that better. Not exactly selectable, but as you said, 58 W with one speaker, 100 W output with two.
That's much better!   I'd be curious to know what the effective wattage was on that Director that was driving the triple speakers that I mentioned above.

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
Has anyone heard the BP200 to say whether it really is "that much louder"?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
200 watt siren with two AS124 in my setup very loud and has a very good range cars pull over a long way off ahead of me I am very pleased with the setup

Nice to see someone else from West Texas on here.  What 200-watt siren are you using? I had an EQ2 on the '92 Ford van ambulance that I had and it was connected to the two 100-watt CPI speakers that came with the truck.  They worked fine, but you could really feel the hear on the speakers when the siren was used.  Hope you haven't had the same problem with those AS124 speakers; but they are a bit different technology than the CPI spearkers.

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
I am running a star lcs 880 siren right now. It runs my lights traffic advisor takedowns everything I like it a lot I am still working some bugs out of the system only have had it two months but love it so far

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I am running a star lcs 880 siren right now. It runs my lights traffic advisor takedowns everything I like it a lot I am still working some bugs out of the system only have had it two months but love it so far

Sounds good. Is that the one that has the nice mechanical tone?  I have a Whelen 295SL100 that has the mechanical tone and I really like it.  I've got to get up your way some time soon.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.