Do they have enough lights burnt out yet?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
At this point it's actually getting kinda expensive to fix all the dead bulbs and motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c7nbn5wYrM

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
A lazy strobe on the right rear?

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Is it that hard to call in a tech to spend a day fixing the lights? Jeez.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Hell if I was assigned that I would just go buy the bulbs myself, not expensive at all. Maybe though the flasher is broken for the front wigwags and maybe a motor or two in the lightbar is blown. You can't really tell whats wrong with just looking at the video. So many possibilities.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
I'm not defending them but it is a reserve engine. They have a massive fleet and I'm sure their mechs are busy with normal PM and repairs.

But on the other hand it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to replace a drive motor and bulbs

Reactions: Pimp

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Wow, and I thought my dept's 12 YO quantum reserve engines were bad...that seagrave looks like a disaster (beyond the lighting) and even with annual pump certification, I still would not feel confident as a nozzle man being supplied by that unreliable-looking rig

Reactions: Surgicalcric

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Well said pdk9. That engine shouldn't be responding priority to anything with the visual warning equipment in such disarray. An attorney would bankrupt the department with a negligence suit following an MVA.

Furthermore, with the lack of attention to detail on the stuff in plain sight It begs one to question what else isn't being given it's due attention.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
They could have lit a couple of fusees and duct taped them to the corners.  That would have been more effective.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This is not an excuse, but.... This is a reserve engine, and that means it is a "crack slipping through" master.  No one has it long enough or cares enough about it to do a full check or report what they find.  Example: Their normal truck goes down for service after they check it, they get this "beater".  Even in proper repair it's not up to modern standards.  The next day's crew isn't used to checking it, and gets a job during the check.  People get out of their way on the way to that call.  Siren, two flashers and some driving posture is enough to move people and make you think the blinkies are in normal repair (says every medic/firefighter who has run siren and secondary lights).  It's not an excuse, but it's a reserve and is rotated from home to home like the proverbial step kid. The abuse never gets reported...you get the point.

That said, polish that aero only in front of the par 36 flashers and I'll take it over a split fail blob of LEDs.

This truck just needs a pair of 900/m9 LEDs over the round holes left from removing the "grill lights".  Gut the aero except the pars, throw one independent aero rotator in each side.  Done. 

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
When i was a volunteer with another department we had a old 70s le france engine with just headlight wig wags and two rotators on the roof it had two little blinky lights in the rear but to tell you the truth they looked like they were off even when they were on so they dont really count. And people would get the hell out of our way out of sheer terror of how our crazy driver would drive that thing... And to make things worse it had a open rear cab so the two firefighters in the back were facing the back of the truck hanging on for dear life with the engine of the truck blaring 5 inches from our face throwing exaust fumes at our faces. I rode that truck for 4 years and that truck is still in service to this day but it recently got a fredom lightbar and some 600s leds all over it wich helped alot.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
When i was a volunteer with another department we had a old 70s le france engine with just headlight wig wags and two rotators on the roof it had two little blinky lights in the rear but to tell you the truth they looked like they were off even when they were on so they dont really count. And people would get the hell out of our way out of sheer terror of how our crazy driver would drive that thing... And to make things worse it had a open rear cab so the two firefighters in the back were facing the back of the truck hanging on for dear life with the engine of the truck blaring 5 inches from our face throwing exaust fumes at our faces. I rode that truck for 4 years and that truck is still in service to this day but it recently got a fredom lightbar and some 600s leds all over it wich helped alot.
I hope they enclosed the cab too...

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I agree it should be fixed, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is unsafe to respond.  I am sure they are still recognized and drive with due regard.  I can safely run a red light with no lights or siren as long as I look and wait until it's clear.

Many, many guys in big departments do not care if stuff like that is working or not, especially on a spare piece - and there are other issues.  Working in a very large department myself:

1.  No, it is not that easy to just have someone come out and change a bunch of lights.  They more than likely note them and several things get fixed when something requires it to have to be taken out of service and sent to the shop.

2.  It is against policy to just go and start working on things yourself - even just changing a bulb.  As liability worried as you all are about them responding while not working, would you want the liability of them not working on you?  You fixed them last.

3.  There is a balance - you are there to protect people from fire and other emergencies.  Is not going to a fire because I have some bulbs out the best thing to do?  Not in my book.  Depending on the workload at the shop, I may be able to go there and get bulbs changed, but it may take 12 hours.  Half a day that you are out of your district sitting out of service.  You may also have to swap out which is a huge pain in the ass.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
When i was a volunteer we rode tail board... but we had a model 14 on each side in the rear and a aerodynic in the cab and two huge red flashers above the grill of the 70's ford ceo. ;)

This truck would be a easy fix when they get around to it..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.