does anyone know what code3 called the sd bar with the halogen rotators?

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
No, the XL bars were the "diamond shaped" domes when viewed from the side, the SD bars were the Twinsonic-style flat domes. They called them Code 3 SD, in contrast to the halogen reflectors which were called Force 4. There's probably a brochure in the brochure sticky.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Yep, the independent motored, halogen bulb/reflector rotator SD's were marketed under the "Force 4" label, model numbers were 4100 for the mini bar, 4200 for the larger versions.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
Yeah, i'm getting old too. I knew after I posted that .... that I was probably wrong!! .... lol.. Thanks guys!!

JediTalen

Jun 19, 2011
Bummertown, WA
I think what's confusing about this is that there is another Force 4 bar from Code 3. The Force 4 LP (low profile) uses the same internals, at least as far as I know, but in a much more "modern" aerodynamic dome.

WSP_87_3.jpg

634385509356869975.JPG

Back in my firefighting days (aka High School) we had one on one of our Brush Trucks. iirc it was brighter than anything else we had then (86-89), and pretty much outclassed everything else on the street until the State Police started buying Street Hawks

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
the lp6000, or force 4 LP use totaly different internals, as a mater of fact nothing is the same , they are totaly different bars , styled somwhat the same but different

another thing to remember is that the code 3 name wasn't always uses like it is now, the force 4 series were marked as"public safety equipment" force 4 LP, on the later years they dropped the force 4 names and went with "code3 lp6000", or "code3 mx7000", and they listed code 3 as a subsidiary of public safety equipment co.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Shawn L said:
the lp6000, or force 4 LP use totaly different internals, as a mater of fact nothing is the same , they are totaly different bars , styled somwhat the same but different

another thing to remember is that the code 3 name wasn't always uses like it is now, the force 4 series were marked as"public safety equipment" force 4 LP, on the later years they dropped the force 4 names and went with "code3 lp6000", or "code3 mx7000", and they listed code 3 as a subsidiary of public safety equipment co.

That would be correct, my SD makes no mention of Code 3 on the tag.

Edit I stand corrected it does state Code 3 TM on it along with Public Safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
My SD mini does read "Code 3" and "Public Safety Equipment" and is the old version of the SD. The rotator assemblies are not the quick change type, looking more like Grote lamp holders, and the motor is dated either 1976 or 1979, the ink on the last digit is a bit heavy and makes it hard to tell which year.

Seems to me when the LP was first introduced it was marked "Code 3", but after about 1 year PSE changed the naming structure so that "Code 3" marked items indicated sealed beam bulbs, "Force 4" marked items used halogen bulbs.

FGS

May 21, 2010
United States, Maryland
motorolamaniac said:
Me likes the all clear verion in the ad sheet. Looks like a Cal Spec setup with steady red, TD and rear flasher. Nice!

I was thinking of the same thing when I looked at it! LOL!

Do cal-spec have two amber flashers or it's only one amber?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.