Dome Color Configuration For A Mars Skybolt

MIKET2

May 24, 2010
Houston Tx.
Hello to all.

Do ya'll out there know what the actual color configuration with inserts in the dome

of a Mars Skybolt SW2 are? I know only one used mainly by Chicago which were just

the red inserts. Right now I have added red and blue around mine. Im just curious to

know what was mainly used during the 1970's up to the 80's on patrol cars and Fire-

Department vehicles, any pics will be much appreciated on this.

Thanks Mike. :cool:

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I though Chicago PD ran straight blue domes, I don't know that they used the inserts. Cincinnati PD ran one blue dome and one clear dome, the clear had one or 2 blue bulbs and a clear bulb.

The ones that I have seen that used the insert strips weren't real effective when each strip was a different color; the signal just looked like a muddy blend of purple, pink or really light blue. They worked much better when each entire half was one color, say blue to the front and amber to the rear

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
The orignal Chicago Mars were clear with blue inserts. The inserts would come loose and jam up the rotators, They changed to the solid blue. The Chicago FD had mostly clear with red and or clear bulbs and some had clear and red inserts.

MIKET2

May 24, 2010
Houston Tx.
Thanks Guys, I was thinking split red and blue for it, yeah sorry I was thinking Sugarland Express on the red inserts.

I saw the bar that Ford Dealer has on the archive site, his is split red and blue and does look good. When there are

clear and colored inserts the flashes of light show alot of clear of course. I guess im just trying to make it look pretty

but trying to get the specs on it so its origional. Once again thanks for the info guys! :D

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Texas DPS Troopers used them in the 1970s. And they mixed red/blue/clear. You really need to see the movie "Sugarland Express" (1974). HUNDREDS of police vehicles, MANY light styles, numerous color combos. There are even a few Mars Auroras in the mix. A must see for vintage light enthusiasts... triple that if you're from Texas.

MIKET2

May 24, 2010
Houston Tx.
LRGJr72 said:
Texas DPS Troopers used them in the 1970s. And they mixed red/blue/clear. You really need to see the movie "Sugarland Express" (1974). HUNDREDS of police vehicles, MANY light styles, numerous color combos. There are even a few Mars Auroras in the mix. A must see for vintage light enthusiasts... triple that if you're from Texas.
I have seen clips of it on Youtube, boy I sure wish I can find the movie somewhere. I have been looking everywhere for

Sugarland Express, It looks really cool. I guess its only available online for sale. I just changed my Skybolt to split red@blue.

It sure looks cool.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Amazon.com has loads of the dvd up for grabs :cool:

Clicky

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I have several SW-2's in my collection with different colours.

Solid red, solid blue, blue inserts and red/blue inserts.

The one that has the best appaerance on display is the one with red and blue inserts.

In reality the red and blue is to close together so when lit it will be a mix of red and blue.

The next problem is that the recent blue inserts is very light in the blue colour compared to the older ones manufactured when Mars was Mars in the '70s and '80s.

I think that the clear Skybolt lens with red inserts work best because it gives an effect close to a red Unity Spitfire lens. That is that it gives clear impulses between the red light.

Blue has never worked as good as red neither with Skybolt or Spitfire lenses.

cpd1212

May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
A little trick with the inserts is to use the plastic material used to color stage spotlights. I think they are called gels or filters (?)

The color consistency of the new blue inserts leaves a bit to be desired and can very greatly from piece to piece.

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
LRGJr72, I do not believe Texas DPS ever used any kind of signals from Mars. Growing up, DPS originally used a single red spotlight to wave people over (similar to CHP) and that changed to red Federal Twin model 14's. DPS also ran mechanical sirens (small Federals) on many units until the late 1970's.

Perhaps someone associated with Tx DPS might chime in, but the bars in the Sugarland Express movie were just Hollywood and nothing more.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
In the end of the '70s I got some regulations from Texas DPS.

I do not remember what it was but I recall that the internal Texas DPS specifications was like that the Mars light was disqualified.

It might have been like that they did not accepted plastic bases.

MIKET2

May 24, 2010
Houston Tx.
cmb56 said:
In the end of the '70s I got some regulations from Texas DPS.
I do not remember what it was but I recall that the internal Texas DPS specifications was like that the Mars light was disqualified.

It might have been like that they did not accepted plastic bases.
Yeah because on up through the years I know they were using the Model 11 Visabar Twin Beacon Rays. I guess your right they

probably didn't want the plastic bases of the Mars Skybolts. I know they used Twinsonics and Aerotwins

troughout the 1980's, but even before the Twin Beacon Rays were of course the Beacon Rays.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.