Dual Color FS Impaxx Problems!!!

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
I have two red/white Federal Signal Impaxx. I am helping a friend wire it up and am having a few difficulties. The light has several wires: red=positive, black=ground, white=option, green=pattern, yellow=sync, orange=sync. He is trying to have the steady burn white come on when he is in reverse but connecting black to ground and white to positive does not turn on the steady burn white like it should. In order for the steady burn white light to come on I have to apply positive to the red wire. This means in order for him to backup with solid white he must turn on his warning lights or red wire. I have red the manual and nothing seems to help. Any help would be great!!!!!!

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
JohnFireFan said:
I have two red/white Federal Signal Impaxx. I am helping a friend wire it up and am having a few difficulties. The light has several wires: red=positive, black=ground, white=option, green=pattern, yellow=sync, orange=sync. He is trying to have the steady burn white come on when he is in reverse but connecting black to ground and white to positive does not turn on the steady burn white like it should. In order for the steady burn white light to come on I have to apply positive to the red wire. This means in order for him to backup with solid white he must turn on his warning lights or red wire. I have red the manual and nothing seems to help. Any help would be great!!!!!!

From the manual, this is how you make the option mode flash white with the pattern. Doing these steps again will make the option wire work as a steady burn. likewise, if you were to follow the instructions on changing from a controller to a follower and then back to a controller, it would reset to default and should give you the solid clear your after by default.

to set the OPTION Wire Mode:

1. Connect the black wire from the lighthead to ground (–GND).

2. Apply 12 Vdc (+BAT) to the red wire from the lighthead.

3. Set the lighthead to be controller or follower. See page 13. (disregard this step for now)

4. Apply 12 Vdc (+BAT) to the white wire from the lighthead.

5. Hold the green pattern-selection wire to ground (–GND)

until the lighthead goes out and then flashes four times. This

procedure will take approximately 6 seconds to complete.

Remove the green wire from –GND, shortly after the four

flashes complete. Changing from follower to controller resets

all features to the default (Table 2 on page 15).

The OPTION wire now enables the white LEDs to flash with

the pattern. (or changes it back to default which is what you are trying to do)

sometimes it can get a little confusing when you are counting flashes but keep trying, it should work.

Hope this helps

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
JohnFireFan said:

This must be an older Impaxx before they changed the steady-burn function. You will likely have to power the red flashing before you can activate the steady-white wire. On the newer (in the last year or so) they have changed this so you can just activate the steady-burn colour with the option wire, not requiring any other wire to see power.

cswroe

Apr 25, 2012
Northwest Indiana
EDIT....

Thought there was a start-up color setting but not seeing it in the manual. I have the older ones in push bumpers set to go white with the take-downs and they did not flash the color, and I don't think they flash at all when they are turned on. Just have the red on one relay and white on another. If takedown button is pressed, it applies power to both relays, in regular mode, just powers the red.

Last edited by a moderator:

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
cswroe said:
EDIT....

Thought there was a start-up color setting but not seeing it in the manual. I have the older ones in push bumpers set to go white with the take-downs and they did not flash the color, and I don't think they flash at all when they are turned on. Just have the red on one relay and white on another. If takedown button is pressed, it applies power to both relays, in regular mode, just powers the red.

There certainly did used to be a start-up color setting - had it on mine that I sold last year.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.