Dual Sirens

tjayfire17

Jul 16, 2010
Kinder, Louisiana
I'm considering running a dual siren set up once I get back to my old department after my deployment from Afghanistan, but wanted to get opinions from yall first. I used to run a Unitrol Touchmaster Delta and a Code 3 V-Con. I'm debating between running that or a Whelen 295HFSC9 with a Carson Mechanical. What dual sirens do some of you guys run?

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
Will you run 400 watts or 100 watts from each siren? I have ran Whelen/Code 3 200 watts each on an Ambulance and it was LOUD! As for your question I vote Whelen/Carson.

Dec 3, 2012
North Central Texas
I run a Code-3 V-Con for light control & 1 siren in 100 watt mode, controlled by built-in controls. I typically turn it to wail and activate the 7 second yelp (hit-n-go) mode or air horn from the buttons. Second siren is a Carson SA365 mounted behind the dash and controlled completely by horn-ring (HRC2) function. The transfer relay (SPDT relay) that I installed selects either factory horn (relay normally open contact) or the siren (voltage to relay coil applied by an aux switch on the v-con). This has worked quite well.

Carson is building some great boxes.

tjayfire17

Jul 16, 2010
Kinder, Louisiana
Marc M said:
Will you run 400 watts or 100 watts from each siren? I have ran Whelen/Code 3 200 watts each on an Ambulance and it was LOUD! As for your question I vote Whelen/Carson.

Most likely 400 watts depending on what siren I decide to use.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I usually don't like dual tone sirens. We have Carson dual tone sirens on out ambos. I always turn the dual tones off. There is only one way I like two sirens. One has to be a Q or a Carson mechanical. I have a Carson hooked into my Smart Siren. The best is a Q type siren with Power Call.

tjayfire17

Jul 16, 2010
Kinder, Louisiana
Eric1249 said:
I usually don't like dual tone sirens. We have Carson dual tone sirens on out ambos. I always turn the dual tones off. There is only one way I like two sirens. One has to be a Q or a Carson mechanical. I have a Carson hooked into my Smart Siren. The best is a Q type siren with Power Call.

That was my other decision. I was gonna have the Whelen running the "warble" tone and run the Carson mechanical tone.

Q2bman

Jan 27, 2012
USA oklahoma
I run dual unitrol omega 90's. I use the sweep function at intersections. I then let amp one sweep turn to wail while amp two cycles between wail and yelp. I find people fly out of the way and I have no trouble clearing intersections and I drive a slick top. It really gets attention. I like that the tones sound the same. Two different siren brands wouldn't sound good. Unless one is a mechanical sound.

By the way be careful over there and thanks for fighting for our freedoms! God bless.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I just happen to get lucky on Craigslist. I got a Carson SC-1002 for $50. I wired it up and put it under my drivers seat. I have a switch on my Smart Siren for it. Most of the time I use the mechanical with the air horn from the SS. I have used the yelp a few times. There was someone sell a Sho-Me siren in the classifieds that had the power call sound. It needed a switch.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I run a Cencom and slave an Alpha22Q (yes, Q... the non-MOO version) off of the low current outputs. Wail, yelp, phaser, hi-lo on the Cencom siren... mechanical, powercall warble, powercall whoop on the Alpha... to a total of 4 (2 per siren) SA314P speakers. Works nicely.

tjayfire17

Jul 16, 2010
Kinder, Louisiana
I decided I'm gonna go with a Whelen 295SLSA6 and a Carson SC-1002 and just use the Mechanical tone on the Carson.

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Q2bman said:
I run dual unitrol omega 90's. I use the sweep function at intersections. I then let amp one sweep turn to wail while amp two cycles between wail and yelp. I find people fly out of the way and I have no trouble clearing intersections and I drive a slick top. It really gets attention. I like that the tones sound the same. Two different siren brands wouldn't sound good. Unless one is a mechanical sound.

By the way be careful over there and thanks for fighting for our freedoms! God bless.

Yep I run the same using the dual Unitrol Omega 90's. Best sounding and traffic clearing effective dual-mode siren made in my opinion!

tjayfire17

Jul 16, 2010
Kinder, Louisiana
Black Hoe said:
Yep I run the same using the dual Unitrol Omega 90's. Best sounding and traffic clearing effective dual-mode siren made in my opinion!

After listening to the dual Omega 90's I fell in love. I think I'm gonna run that with 4 Federal Signal AS124 speakers. If Cajun is still doing installs next year I'm gonna bring it there since they aren't far from my house.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.