Dummy load antenna??

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Your local hamfest should be replete with dummy loads or people who will sell you the parts and tell you how to make your own.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
A dummy load is to put impedance on the output, not to transmit with. Get a length of coax with the proper connector, and strip the braid insulation back from the other end of it for a length corresponding to the lowband frequency you use, so all you have left is the sheathed conductor. Voila, instant antenna.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I presume the OP wants a dummy load so that he does not transmit any real distance from the radio. His original purpose is listed as testing pagers.

A dummy load will turn the vast majority of the RF into heat, but there will be enough remaining within a few feet or yards to test pagers without the whole county hearing it.

mojo3120

May 24, 2010
Charlotte, NC
shues said:
I presume the OP wants a dummy load so that he does not transmit any real distance from the radio. His original purpose is listed as testing pagers.

A dummy load will turn the vast majority of the RF into heat, but there will be enough remaining within a few feet or yards to test pagers without the whole county hearing it.

Actually, I guess I don't really care how far it transmits, no one in the county is on lowband anyway. I was looking for a dummy load bc I've always been told not to transmit on a radio w/ no antenna.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.