Dummy load antenna??

Your local hamfest should be replete with dummy loads or people who will sell you the parts and tell you how to make your own.

A dummy load is to put impedance on the output, not to transmit with. Get a length of coax with the proper connector, and strip the braid insulation back from the other end of it for a length corresponding to the lowband frequency you use, so all you have left is the sheathed conductor. Voila, instant antenna.

I presume the OP wants a dummy load so that he does not transmit any real distance from the radio. His original purpose is listed as testing pagers.

A dummy load will turn the vast majority of the RF into heat, but there will be enough remaining within a few feet or yards to test pagers without the whole county hearing it.

shues said:
I presume the OP wants a dummy load so that he does not transmit any real distance from the radio. His original purpose is listed as testing pagers.

A dummy load will turn the vast majority of the RF into heat, but there will be enough remaining within a few feet or yards to test pagers without the whole county hearing it.

Actually, I guess I don't really care how far it transmits, no one in the county is on lowband anyway. I was looking for a dummy load bc I've always been told not to transmit on a radio w/ no antenna.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381