edge freedom conversion

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
can a whelen edge 9M be converted to aedge freedom by ordering replacement LED heads and buying an aftermarket flasher?

Yes.

Both the 9M and Freedom utilize 400 series lights for the inboard lights, the only difference being one uses strobe lightheads and the other uses LED lightheads. The corner modules in the 9M and Freedom are also the same size. Both lightbars use the same halogen heads for TDs and Alleys.

The LED heads are 12v, so you can basically use whatever flasher you want as long as it fits somewhere into an Edge frame. You'd just have to figure out if you want to bypass the main relay board or figure out how to wire the flasher through it.

If you have a flasher for your TDs inside the bar, there are some nice flash patterns for LED use.

my idea was to scrap everything but the takedowns/alleys and start from scratch with replacement lightheads and like a sho-me flasher or something.

I'm in the process of doing this now for my paid FD. We've got an Edge Ultra frame for the full size bar and then a cut down Edge frame for everything else. All the modules slide in just fine and you can use any flasher you want.

how much did you pay for the modules?

The corner modules from our bar came from a mini Freedom frame, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Also, everything was used. As far as pricing for new modules, couldn't help you there.

since the inner modules are just 400 series leds, might the outer ones match up to something, like maybe 2 50's stacked?

If you're wanting to do something similiar to a Freedom corner module, may want to see if you could 45 degree mount a 700 series lighthead. Just my $.02.

grfd711 said:
If you're wanting to do something similiar to a Freedom corner module, may want to see if you could 45 degree mount a 700 series lighthead. Just my $.02.

that was my next idea, how hard would it be to fab up some brackets?

You don't have to stick with 400 series led lightheads. I surface mounted tir3s to the black filler plates that are ina 9m. I tappped off of the front activation wire in the strobe power supply. You could double stack the lightheads and have them fire at the same time for a larger warning footprint. IMO, this would be brighter than a 400 series led. You could also retrofit a Rect14 double stacked, space permitting...

These are just a few alternatives. You don't always have to go wi the "normal led upgrade". Think outside of the box...

Good Luck,

Steve

which one is the activation wire? can i just wire it up directly, and is it 12 volt?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381