Edge power supply question

Tomhae

Apr 22, 2012
Roseville, CA
Hello all,

I recently purchased an old Edge bar, I think it is probably one of the first generations. It has four corner strobes and halogen inboard lights. When I fired up the strobes they worked for about 60 seconds (with what I believe to be far more noise from the supply than normal). Then the fuse popped, and from that point on, all fuses popped immediately. Even 30 amp fuses. The power supply looks rough, some corrosion is visible. This bar has not been used in some time, and I was kind of surprised it worked at all after seeing the supply. So does the failure I described sound normal for an old board, or did I have it wired wrong?

Thanks for any theories,

Kevin

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
Which fuse? Where is it located? What amperage was the original? You shouldn't ever put a bigger fuse in when lower amp fuses are popping. They're popping for a reason.

Depending on the age of the bar/power supple, the strobes did fire more loudly. The first thing I would recommend is to open the bar up and disassembling it a bit to see what the insides look like. People love to modify these bars and a lot of the time it is a hack job. Components also quit over time and something might need to be replaced. The more you can disassemble and test individual components, the easier it will be to find out what's causing the problem.

Tomhae

Apr 22, 2012
Roseville, CA
I did have it open when I was testing it, and the noise was coming from the power supply more than the strobe tubes. The wiring all looked good and did not appear to be altered from the factory set up. One thing I was curious about is how many wires I should have been powering to run the strobes only. I saw there was a red, black, violet and green coming from the supply. Only the red wire had a fuse (which was empty to start with, thats why I started with the 25). I grounded the black and it went on (briefly) when I powered the red wire. Should I also have been powering the violet or green wire? If so, have I ruined it by only powering the red? I am also curious as to what model supply I should get if I wanted a little newer one, since this one only did the alternating double flash. Looking for the quad flash, maybe one with a couple selectable patterns?

Thanks everyone,

Kevin

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
It should be fused at 15 amps.

When I said the strobes fire more loudly I meant the sound from the power supply as they are firing.

Powering the red wire and connected to ground, the power supply should work. The other two wires are probably hi/low power and two strobe cutout. Connect them to ground first and if nothing happens, try connecting them to power.

I would take the power supply out of the bar and test it on its own. If a power supply hasn't been used in awhile, it should first be connected to power without strobes attached to allow the capacitors to reenergize without a load. It might have been fried when you connected it again.

You can use any different power supply to gain more options. The SL6 and EB6 are popular choices or even the 9M4S.

Tomhae

Apr 22, 2012
Roseville, CA
Ok, thanks. I'm glad to know I didn't fry it by powering it wrong. The SL6 seems like exactly what I was thinking of upgrading to. Thanks again for the assistance.

Kevin

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.