Emergency driving in winter

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
Now I've been a driver/operator/chauffeur on my department for a few years and know how to drive emergency.

We recently got 3" of Lake effect snow (light and fluffy) fallowed the next day by 4+ inches again. So the plows have been busy working and due to the 10 degree temperatures there is no salt just sand being applied.

So we receive a class 1 at a farm. I responded, our med squad (Chevy suburban) needed the stokes basket and requested the heavy rescue.

So I was maintaining the Fast lane left lane w/e you want to call it. But due to the snow it was 2 tracks in the lane. So slow going for sure till I turned on to the rural street and was down to a crawl.

My question relating to the long story is, if the conditions in the proper lane was more hazardous than the other would you drive in the other one even though it is not the proper one.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
Essentially it's snow covered road, 4 lanes split with a median. Proper lane of travel for emergency driving is left lane. Yet the right lane has less snow on it.

Would you drive the proper lane even though it's slightly more dangerous, or shift to the other lane because it has less snow, allowing more control.

There is no other roads any better, so route doesn't matter.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
justavillain said:
Essentially it's snow covered road, 4 lanes split with a median. Proper lane of travel for emergency driving is left lane. Yet the right lane has less snow on it.

Would you drive the proper lane even though it's slightly more dangerous, or shift to the other lane because it has less snow, allowing more control.

There is no other roads any better, so route doesn't matter.

You do what is safest for yourself and crew. Hopefully SOP's would dictate that, and usually most leave the judgement to the MPO. The officer is a great resource, but he's typically not the one driving.

SOG's, are just that, guidelines. Things can deviate, and most often SOP's and SOG's recognize that, and state so. Situations can change, and cannot write an SOP/SOG for every single possibility.

That said, I would run in the clear lane, and if needed to pass, or for some other circumstance, then utilize the other, less clear lane.

I as well am an officer and MPO, and this is how I would operate.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Every situation is a bit different, and different agencies have different rules about some of these things. That said, if the roads were that bad, I'd seriously consider shutting off the lights and siren, get over in the better lane and proceed to the scene at the speed of the flow of traffic. Now, some departments would insist that you MUST use lights and siren on every call. Frankly, I think that mindset is dangerous, especially in snowy weather. We have to remember that drivers do stupid stuff when an emergency vehicle approaches on clear, dry pavement. When they do the same stupid stuff on a slippery roadway, everybody gets caught in the pileup, guaranteed. If the left hand lane is that bad, you gain no speed advantage anyway. Much better to get to the scene as safely as possible.

I rolled our ambulance on a woman fell call yesterday at 6:10 AM. The main roads were mostly clear and dry with some icy patches, but the side roads were completely iced over. With the concurrence of the other members of the crew, I drove to the scene with no lights or siren. Time lost was 0 seconds. The roads dictated the safe speed. No emergency lights ensured that other drivers would not slam on their brakes and slide off the road or into our path. Using lights and siren and driving accordingly would have been an unnecessary risk.

I've been driving ambulances, fly cars, and police cars in upstate New York for 41 years now plus my POVs. Exercising good judgement under bad circumstances is essential up here.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
When the weather is bad, we don't respond.

We also don't go out at night.

And do not call us on game day.

Seriously, as said above: safety. You can't do any good if you don't get there.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
JazzDad said:
When the weather is bad, we don't respond.

We also don't go out at night.

And do not call us on game day.

Seriously, as said above: safety. You can't do any good if you don't get there.

JD - I didn't realize that you worked for the Post Office. :D

Seriously though - Overtaking traffic from the right because the lane is clearer could be inherently more dangerous than running a little more cautiously in the snow-covered fast lane. Most drivers tend not to use their right hand mirrors very well, if at all. You as the driver have the ultimate responsibility, so you just have to use your best judgement to keep everyone safe.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
MESDA6 said:
Seriously though - Overtaking traffic from the right because the lane is clearer could be inherently more dangerous than running a little more cautiously in the snow-covered fast lane. Most drivers tend not to use their right hand mirrors very well, if at all. You as the driver have the ultimate responsibility, so you just have to use your best judgement to keep everyone safe.
In my previous post, I suggested that moving with the flow of traffic in the lane that has better road conditions (usually the right hand one in North America) without lights and siren during hazardous weather would be a prudent decision. If the roads are that bad, overtaking vehicles ahead is not a good idea anyway.

The problem with the nuts that get out in the left hand lane and pass everyone is that they are doing it on a greasier surface. Staying in the right hand lane with the flow of traffic generally means that they'll pass you instead of you passing them. The huge advantage of being on the better track is that when you apply your brakes, you've got a much better chance of stopping in a straight line.

It's a judgement call based on weather conditions, the type of vehicle, the nature of the call, and the experience level of the driver. There may be other factors that come into play as well. I would generally offer that the nature of the call should not override seriously bad conditions. If the weather is that crappy and the call is that bad, getting there safely becomes even more important.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
GHoo points made here already. I will expand by saying lately I have been responding flow of traffic on interstates because the flow of traffic is 75mph. We have medium duty trucks, 75 mph is about top speed anyway. I find running lights and siren confuses people on the interstate, and they do things like stop or pull left (more than normal). Unless the flow of traffic is going significantly too slow for the conditions, I find running lights and siren on a four lane or more road is often more trouble than it's worth. Now keep in mind that all the previous is referring to normal conditions. Under snowy or icy conditions it's even worse. People try to pull over and run off the road, creating a new scene. I find as long as traffic is moving at all, it is faster to run normal traffic on many roads when conditions are bad. Obviously this is situational and there are times when lights and siren will be a better option.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
I'll preface this statement as I'm one of the more prudent drivers on the dept. I'm quick to turn the lights off. When we get a fire alarm and even dispatch info sounds weak I don't go hot.

I feel I needed emergency lights due to the nature of the call. He was warm, 10 min down time left, emd had cpr on line, we needed the stokes basket to get him out.

But that said traffic was light it was 10am I don't think I would have added time running no lights. I was more curious if the masses thought hard line lights on driving in the left only

We're now on day 5 of snow fall. I've not turned the lights on since.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
There are no black and white rules when running code 3 (hell, when driving at all). You do what is necessary to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. I'm pretty strict on the left-lane thing, but occasionally you get an idiot that stops in front of you and just won't move, so you have to (cautiously) pass on the right. If it's safer to run the right lane, do so, but be prepared for people to not react exactly the same way they might if you were in the left lane.

Get there safely and promptly, get the job done, go home. That's all that matters.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.