End of life annoucement: Motorola XTL/XTS5000

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Expect the 2500 and 1500 series to be done with by the end of the year as well.

XTS/XTL 5000 Last Order Entry: October 31, 2013

XTS/XTL 5000 Last Field Service 5 years Support to conclude: December 31, 2018.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Wow. And there tons of those radios in the field too. I wonder if Motorola is going to start pushing the APX line of radios. Ive already got mine. :yes:

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
They have been pushing the APX line for several years now. We figured that in Jan it would have already been annouced. I am surprised it lasted until October.

An APX and XTx radio similarly optioned is about the same price. Motorola does this all the time to encourage customers to buy the newer radios than the older ones.

May 22, 2010
Bauxite Arkansas
Did Motorola officially announce that? Is there a link to the announcement? I'd like to have a copy.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
If you have access to the businessonline Motorola site it will be there under the service section if you have access to that portion of the site. If not, your local MSS should be able to print out the notice. There is nothing special in the announcement other than the above last order and service date.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Is this like GPS unit that you buy that has the "lifetime maps" feature? You read the fine print and it says something like 'when we stop providing updates, your unit is at the end of its life'.

I go to this all-you-can eat restaurant. I went to reach for seconds, and the owner popped the back of my hand with a serving spoon and said "That's all you can eat!"

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Motorola cycles product lines (at least on the high tier) about every five years or so. They also typically have a parts/service availablity policy to support products for x years after the last one is shipped (hence the two dates). After that, when parts run out...thats it.

However, in the last few years they have been just cutting off service all together (IE won't even touch stuff) even though the "part" might be a software upgrade which is BS. But, they are not out of line in the business model of any other company. If you keep the same products out there, you lose marketshare and profitability. On the otherside - we don't need to drop $2,000+ (x) number of radios every year in our budget because we are a slave to innovations - even if we don't need the new product.

Internally, the XTS/XTL 1500/2500 are the same radio - different firmware/software revisions but the hardware (internally) is the same. The accessories between them is all the same. The 1500/2500 series came out after the 5000 and I'd expect it to have a little longer service life. The annoucement stated that there is no annoucement on the 2500 line.

Essentially:

XTS/XTL5000 = APX7000/XE

XTS/XTL2500 = APX6000/XE

XTS/XTL1500 = APX4000

Is this like GPS unit that you buy that has the "lifetime maps" feature? You read the fine print and it says something like 'when we stop providing updates, your unit is at the end of its life'.

Well, at least for most GPS units, it depends on the map provider data they use. Garmin changed theirs years back when they went to the Streetpilot series (C series?) from the more legacy units such as the III, III+, V etc (the first attempt at car navagation before the color units came out).

With Motorola these days, part of it seems to be innovation, another part greed. They are really pushing for digital, and phase 2 trunking - which is where the $$$ is.

Last edited by a moderator:

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
"Some" of the CDM and HT series models are going and have been gone for a while.I will find out what is in future at Motorola Sales class in Rockland County NY on June 4th :)

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
For those who were looking for offical documentation, apparently the annoucement was quietly floated around at Motorola and a few of us that were included in the loop were not suppose to. Quite a few MSS's also received the word, but nothing has popped up on MOL on the public side yet, but rest assured the information is accurate.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
This is awesome. We're still using MTS2000s purchased in 1995. So now we're 2(?) product cycles behind.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
My agency is P25 Digital. We use XTS2500's and APX6000's. I have an APX6000 and I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
RolnCode3 said:
This is awesome. We're still using MTS2000s purchased in 1995. So now we're 2(?) product cycles behind.

3, really.

Jedi - MTS2000

ASTRO - Astro Saber, XTS3000

ASTRO25 - XTS1500/2500/5000

APX

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
jprleedy4680 said:
If it ain't broke...

State of Michigan is still regularly using Astro Spectra W5 mobiles.

They break all the time. Every dead radio gets scavenged for operable parts for the next broken radio. We have the same Astro Spectra mobiles. We got them about 3 yrs ago(?) with rebanding.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.