Enlighten me

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
No pun intended....

ANyway, can someone (or many) tell me about the Baader-Brown sealed beam revolving lights? I have become the reluctant owner of one, and have never seen or heard of this company before.

The one I have is NOS/NIB, has a clear dome with alternating clear and red sealed beam bulbs.

Would love to know history and any other information you would like to share..

(Please see my stuff for sale in classifieds..)

Thanks to all!!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I know some members here have more info, but that company made Beacon-Ray type beacons in 2, 3, and 4 beam versions. There were a bunch of them on eBay a few years ago, but now they are getting hard to find. Here's a couple of good pics of a Baader-Brown beacon.

awww.prestoimages.net_store20_rd477_477_pd2146803_1.jpg

athumbs3.ebaystatic.com_d_l225_m_m38WQcSleKAgzlTa_BRcffg.jpg

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
I've got (2) NOS 4 bulbers from fleabay, when they flooded the market years ago. paid $75 each, and the seller made them to your specs with dome and bulb color. Have magnetic bases. Look good, however I'm sure exposure to the elements would wear on the all plastic base. Has the same motor that Badder-Brown used in its mechanical school bus flasher mechanism, rotates really fast.

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
MESDA6 said:
Many of that batch from a few years ago melted and/or caught fire with a little use. The best place for it is on your display shelf, unlit.

Really? what was the cause of that? Is it in the motor or some other built in fault? That's interesting information..

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
brw1249 said:
Really? what was the cause of that? Is it in the motor or some other built in fault? That's interesting information..

As I recall there were several people who bought them and installed them for use. Several were used for extended periods on scene (basically used on a typical response) and melted down completely. The plastic parts in them as well as the dome couldn't handle the heat. There was a great deal of discussion on one if the incarnations of this board at the time, but I don't remember how long ago it was.

I also remember seeing a number of complaints about the transactions because the person/company who was assembling them couldn't keep up with the demand. Someone can correct me if my recollection is wrong, but I think these lights were assembled from the last of a bunch of parts bought at auction by that individual. It's been a few years since all of that happened, and I know that the meltdowns and transaction issues made me not even consider buying one, even though I liked the look of the light.

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
MESDA6 said:
As I recall there were several people who bought them and installed them for use. Several were used for extended periods on scene (basically used on a typical response) and melted down completely. The plastic parts in them as well as the dome couldn't handle the heat. There was a great deal of discussion on one if the incarnations of this board at the time, but I don't remember how long ago it was.

I also remember seeing a number of complaints about the transactions because the person/company who was assembling them couldn't keep up with the demand. Someone can correct me if my recollection is wrong, but I think these lights were assembled from the last of a bunch of parts bought at auction by that individual. It's been a few years since all of that happened, and I know that the meltdowns and transaction issues made me not even consider buying one, even though I liked the look of the light.

Excellent information...but they look neat!!! No one could ever build a Federal Beacon Ray copy!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.