Explorer with Federal Q

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
SlickTop Solutions said:
That is station 9 in PG County, I will check and see what 14 has on the front of their Explorer.

Last time I saw 814's Explorer (Fusco's), it wasn't anything special - a 9M bar and a couple hide-a-ways. Then again, they may have gotten a new one, since this was a few years ago.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Doug said:
Last time I saw 814's Explorer (Fusco's), it wasn't anything special - a 9M bar and a couple hide-a-ways. Then again, they may have gotten a new one, since this was a few years ago.

I think 814B has the Fed Q (Maybe and EQ2) on the front of it.

I will check either tomorrow or Wednesday when I am over at Berwyn Heights PD swapping in APX7500s for them.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I stumbled across some YouTube videos of a department in Florida that has mechanical Qs on just about every vehicle in their fleet - pumpers, ladders, rescues, ambos, and support vehicles. They don't have Qs on their SUVs yet, but I'll bet they're working on it.

An old Federal model 28 (standard 8 port version) would be better suited for mounting in a SUV. It doesn't move as much air as a Q but it sounds pretty close.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
just my personal opinion, Im not a fan of the mechanical sirens on cars/trucks. Whether it be the electric version or the mechanical. leave that for the big rigs. Also not a fan of the ambulances with them or the loud obnoxious Airhorns. My depts new Buses have the airhorn and its rediculous IMO

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
UndercoverVLS said:
just my personal opinion, Im not a fan of the mechanical sirens on cars/trucks. Whether it be the electric version or the mechanical. leave that for the big rigs.

I don't like mechanical sirens on modern fire engines. Whenever I hear a mechanical siren I always think 'old fire engine'.

spike91

Jun 11, 2010
New York
UndercoverVLS said:
just my personal opinion, Im not a fan of the mechanical sirens on cars/trucks. Whether it be the electric version or the mechanical. leave that for the big rigs. Also not a fan of the ambulances with them or the loud obnoxious Airhorns. My depts new Buses have the airhorn and its rediculous IMO

I volunteer on an ambulance squad and drive frequently, and the airhorn is a NECESSARY tool, especially at intersections, crosswalks, and high foot/vehicle traffic area. People can go a few moments without taking notice of a normal siren wail, we need the airhorn to burst their little bubble and get them moving when it really matters.

As for the mechanical sirens on smaller vehicles, I personally think its pretty cool. Unnecessary? Probably. Cool nonetheless, at least for fire response. If volunteers start running around with them, though...

GTRider245 said:

I really don't like how they put those massive LED panels on the side of the rigs. Looks a bit ridiculous

Alovebaby41

May 23, 2010
Texas
Now really why is there a Q on something that really doesn't need it? Fed Sig invented the Q for the FIRE ENGINE not POV's. Plus they look stupid on them. and the fact that it's just the an Eq2b and not the real one why do they need the cover. All the cover does is make it more ridiculous than it already looks. :evil:

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
not to jack the thread but i know a local officer that installed one in a cvpi for awhile,lasted a week till he was told to remove it due to damaging the twp owned car

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
TCO said:
not to jack the thread but i know a local officer that installed one in a cvpi for awhile,lasted a week till he was told to remove it due to damaging the twp owned car

An actual Q or an eQ?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Alovebaby41 said:
Now really why is there a Q on something that really doesn't need it? Fed Sig invented the Q for the FIRE ENGINE...

You're wrong. Q sirens were also used on ambulances from the 1950s up until the mid-1970s.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
RL1 said:
An actual Q or an eQ?

i assume it was a eq2,if he tried to hook a real q to the car it would catch fire,the car was already pushing almost 100,000 miles at the time

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
TCO said:
if he tried to hook a real q to the car it would catch fire,the car was already pushing almost 100,000 miles at the time

Looks like a good project for Mythbusters.

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
Wailer said:
Looks like a good project for Mythbusters.
Naw you just want to see a perfectly good q destroyed.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
cutiger said:
Naw you just want to see a perfectly good q destroyed.

They wouldn't have to put the siren in the car or on the car. All they'd have to do is hook the siren up to the car and see if it blows up the car's electrical system. The test is not to blow the siren up - it is to overload the electrical system and see if the car catches fire.

Chasselber1

May 21, 2010
Prince Georges County Md
The boys down the street always go all out on the noise-makers and blinkies. They bought 3 explorers and all have been loaded. The new wagon is also loaded with lights. It's a Maryland (PG County) thing, you wouldn't understand... LOL

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
Wailer said:
They wouldn't have to put the siren in the car or on the car. All they'd have to do is hook the siren up to the car and see if it blows up the car's electrical system. The test is not to blow the siren up - it is to overload the electrical system and see if the car catches fire.
I am aware what the test is for I am just saying due to your obvious hate for qs (your profile pic) you would on the side be hoping it would be damaged.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.