Extreme Tactical Dynamics

liltum56

Apr 28, 2018
Honolulu
I just wanted to share what I thought about ETD, Extreme Tactical Dynamics.

So I bought 2 of their lights, Foxtrot 16 Linear and the Chaser Linear, both in Blue/Blue. At the time, it was advertised as using Gen IV 3 watt LEDs in both lights. The Fox 16 supposedly meets SAE 1 class but the Chaser doesn’t have any SAE class listed. These lights were about $75 and $60 respectively. For the price, thought I’d just try.

The car I drive now has a Whelen Liberty mini LED light bar and the rear deck has a Whelen avenger dash light. I wanted something on the front lower dash area bc their are no wig wags and the light bar is on the roof, making it difficult for clearing traffic in a traffic jam. Already had an incident where a guy had difficulty seeing my light bar In his mirrors while in traffic.

I had bought a cheap $20 amazon dash light (Ttocas) and tried the others (WoneNice and Xprite) with them working pretty well. It wasn’t Whelen bright but bright enough for upclose in traffic during daylight clearing. Night time, it was pretty awesome like a light bar on low power. I used it for a couple years and really had no complaints. I started to get greedy and wanted brighter, of course. I somehow found ETD and saw them advertising “3 watt LEDs” in most of their lights. Was cheap and their website convinced me so I bought.

The Foxtrot 16 Linear is kinda similar to the Whelen avenger, in looks. It’s kinda heavy compared to other dash lights. Pattern selection is not bad, but not as much as a Whelen. Maybe like half the amount of patterns. The spread of light is great for those intersections, consistent at all angles. Brightness wise, it’s pretty bright. I’d say it’s in between a Whelen and an Amazon light. Whelen lights are like looking at the sun but the Foxtrot 16 gets pretty close. Those Amazon lights are like Whelen on its lower power setting. The Fox 16 probably does earn its SAE Class 1 rating.

The ETD Chaser Linear are almost exactly like those Amazon lights. Same flash patterns and everything but advertised as having 3 watt LEDs. I was actually not expecting it to outperform but it did. It’s just as bright as the Fox 16 light. The ‘steady on both sides’ pattern is dimmer than the other patterns but probably as bright as the amazon brands. The ‘one side on one side flash’ pattern is right after and it becomes brighter. All other patterns flash brighter. I compared the Chaser side by side with the Amazon lights to compare and it is noticeable brighter. I even faced it towards a wall and I could tell the ETD lights (Chaser and Fox 16) produced a more brighter light compared to the amazon ones. The spread also seems more even (up and down) on both the ETD lights compared to the amazon light. Amazon light had some small dimmer spots when looking at the light up and down. The side to side spread is excellent on both ETD lights for those intersections. Even my Amazon light had a great consistent side to side light spread. I just wished they had a better flasher in it for a greater variety of flash patterns. The Chaser Linear on/off button gets really hot on the cig plug, to the point of burning your finger, probably bc of the on light in the switch. They could also do away with that illuminated switch.

I didn’t compare any ETD to the Whelen avenger as it is permanently mounted in my car and I also don’t want to look like an idiot to the public doing comparisons while working. Preliminary, ETD is just trailing behind Whelen is brightness.

If you’re on a budget or even if you’re not, I recommend ETD’s lights. Haven’t done a longevity test but they seem pretty solid and will let you know if it fails. If you’re willing and have it then spend the money on Whelen since they are American built, insanely bright, and have a huge variety of flash patterns.

Downside with ETD is their customer service. What everyone says is no joke. It’s seems almost non-existent and the lights seem to be like made to order bc it took about a month and a half to get my lights. They were both listed as ‘backorder’ once I purchased them and already charged my credit card instantly. It felt so long that I was gonna try to cancel my order for a refund. I tried leaving a message on their chat feature and emailed them like 3 times with no reply regarding my order status. I was about to call when I checked my email and received a tracking number stating it was being shipped. That took about 3-4 days to arrive. Thinking back, a month and s half wasn’t that long of a wait but maybe bc I was anxious. I don’t even wanna know what happens if I gotta return my lights in for their “5 year warranty”.

All in all, I’m very satisfied with Extreme Tactical Dynamic’s lights. They are a great mid level lights, IMO, with Whelen being the cream of the crop and Amazon lights being near the bottom. I’ll probably order their visor lights in a year or 2 or 3 when I get a new car. I really hope ETD will work on their customer service and inventory soon as they could become a great competitor.

Last edited:

liltum56

Apr 28, 2018
Honolulu
LOL well actually I’ve been watching this forum for a while but just never made an account. Nobody ever talks about the “other” brands but I know some have tried them. Emergency lights aint exactly a very popular topic in the world like cars or firearms.

I know there is no way to convince you I’m unbiased. I’ll post a video when I get time then although video is hard to capture true brightness. Hopefully ETD will send me free products to rebuild their sh*t reputation.

Reactions: Tony P

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
I've seen ETD lights in person and they suck in brightness to the point they should never be used on anything more than trailer park lawn mower

liltum56

Apr 28, 2018
Honolulu
I've seen ETD lights in person and they suck in brightness to the point they should never be used on anything more than trailer park lawn mower
Was it their older style lights? With the supposed 1 watt LEDs? I honestly think the lights with their “3 watt” LEDs are pretty good. Not Whelen, code 3, federal singal good but pretty close. Maybe if they worked on their optics a little more? Or maybe built them in America. Those amazon lights, I would say, suck in brightness. If you compare everything to those name brands, then yea they suck. For the money tho, I’d buy em again

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.