Falmouth Fire-Rescue Slicktop: Car 28 - Shift Commander

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
I really like this setup but, in true ELB fashion, time to say "what I would have done".

I normally only like 2 large lights in the grill instead of 4. I can live with the 4 but would be curious what 2 would look like.

Maybe an 8 head dominator in the rear window too.

Done.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJIceman97

Dec 22, 2012
Northeast Kentucky
With grille's like that (narrow openings and split in the middle) I like the 4 grille lights over 2. Needs some sync'ing though. And really does need some rear warning. Maybe he forgot to flip the switch, I hope....I know in our Expedition at the station, you have to flip about 7 different switches to turn everything on...

uniden278

Oct 10, 2011
Winthrop, MA
Not sure why a front line fire vehicle needs to be slicktop. But, if it must, rear window warning would be nice. And synch up the lights.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Not a fan of it not having a lightbar..... Also I wonder how the opticom does behind the grille, have always seen it mounted a little more out front.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
I've seen this in question, I don't believe it has any rear window warning. Also not sure why they didn't do a lightbar, but mounted spotlight on roof?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I'm one of many here that doesn't like marked slick top fire department vehicles...my thought on FD vehicles: if it's an admin vehicle, slick top is okay b/c it isn't responding frequently to calls; on the other hand, if it's a department-owned piece of line apparatus, it should be marked as such and have a lightbar. Also, it's not like they're worried about drilling/mounting on the roof on this vehicle anyways.

I'm like rob and like 2 large grill lights or, if a good pattern is selected (ie 4 LEDs alternating with the other 4 LEDs, no scan, etc), a D8/Ultralite in the grill is nice too because of it's ability to put out a large, spread-out footprint. This wouldn't have looked too bad if all 4 were synced together properly.

As for side warning, is it just me, or is there only 1 lighthead on the running board (by the a-post)? If so, I think it's stupid to have the only side warning localized to A-post region; I love running board lights, but if you're gonna do them, I think they need to be in pairs (1 next by the A-post & other by C-post) and that there should already be solid, mid level side warning already in place.

Rear is completely lacking a TIR3 red/amber D8...this department clearly has money to invest in an install; they just need to allocate it better. As for the GoLight, I think they're a waste; I think they're a good idea in theory, but (unless they're mounted on an elevated pedestal) they can't illuminate anything nearby your vehicle b/c the light bounces off the roof. I had one on my former duty chief Tahoe, but I never bothered using it...other than playing "light wars" with the other duty chief when bored

liberal noob

Jun 14, 2010
Berkley, MA
It is a growing trend fire chefs (and other personal with ranks very close to one) have department issued vehicles that can be taken home. Having a fully marked SUV with a lightbar on it is very conspicuous in the Chef's driveway. So when a chef specs it out, the tend to be slicktops minimal markings.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.