Farm Equipment lighting. Been along time coming...

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Kinda cool to see the lighting on farm equipment coming around. Just yesterday I passed a Combine on the highway that had 2 code 3 550s in amber on the front top of it and a 3rd on the rear just above the slow moving vehicle sign. Being from a mostly rural area I think its a great idea and ought to be adopted to all farm machinery that is on the roadway. Seems like its just on the latest and greatest new equipment but I feel it will save lives on the highways and rural roadway's. We just had a MVA where a Combine stopped and got over for oncoming traffic and the van behind it stopped but the next guy didn't and ended up hitting the van and a pole and a house. The driver was careflighted and was in serious condition. Haven t heard whether or not he made it. Around here we have several serious accidents every year that involves farm equipment and other vehicles. Not sure if its new laws or just a new industry standard but I noticed at this years fair just about every piece of equipment had some kind of lighting on it.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
I find it kinda funny that John Deere has put their GPS tracking domes on the front of the canopies on their equipment just where a light would be mounted and the domes are colored yellow. They look like beacons!

Heres a pic of a JD7530

john deereeeeee.jpg

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
Also, a long time ago on either here or the old LPSE forums someone mentioned seeing some farm equipment with oversized attachments and on the edge of the atachments they has pancake lights. I'd like to see that! Seems like a great idea.

firefighter31

Sep 16, 2011
Missouri
in my area there was a fire-whacker that he took his old ass tractor and bungie cored and duct taped an amber twinsonic to the rear of his tractor. it oined down and looked dumb as hell

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
All of the tractors the road commission uses here for roadside mowing and what not have dual rotator Turbo Beams (newer style). Actually all of their trucks have them too...

dcfrmp255

Nov 26, 2010
South Georgia
I think that the tractor manufacturers need to make the lighting systems(warning lights and work lights)on tractors more durable. I have lived and worked on a farm my whole life and have yet to see ALL of the lights function properly on a tractor that has been in service for an extended period of time. Tractors take a beating, and therefore the lighting components need to be able to withstand that beating. I have tried multiple times to try to figure out why all of the lights on our tractors did not work, it is not as simple as changing a blown fuse or bulb, because I have tried that! haha

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
dcfrmp255 said:
I think that the tractor manufacturers need to make the lighting systems(warning lights and work lights)on tractors more durable. I have lived and worked on a farm my whole life and have yet to see ALL of the lights function properly on a tractor that has been in service for an extended period of time. Tractors take a beating, and therefore the lighting components need to be able to withstand that beating. I have tried multiple times to try to figure out why all of the lights on our tractors did not work, it is not as simple as changing a blown fuse or bulb, because I have tried that! haha
Sounds like you need to go mil-spec. But, if the harness isn't protected where it needs it, it won't matter. Talk about gremlins...

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Most government roadside equipment has some kind of warning equipment on it. ODOT uses strobe and halogen beacons on theirs, when you see them operating they usually have the flashers and headlights also activated. However a majority of farm implements have little of no lighting, alot of times its simply a slow moving vehicle sign. Within the past week Ive heard atleast a dozen crashes involving farm equipment on the roadway. Fortunately none Ive recently heard have been fatalities. For those that live in the nations farm belt you probably see it all the time in Planting and Harvest Seasons. The fellow that I wrote about in the start of the thread is still hanging in there. Besides the injuries from the accident he had to have a 4 inch bolt removed from his skull, his son stated he must have had it in the cab of his truck, talk about a lose projectile.........

User Name

Sep 26, 2012
Michigan
If you want to spend the $30 for a euro-style (and standardized) DIN mount, I can try to source you a supplier for very good quality Hella amber beacons for like 70% off retail. The DIN mount with the beacon is a quick attach and the light sits right on the DIN post. I bought two amber lights for a test project. What I wanted to do is get a telescopic mount on the back of my truck between the bed and cab area and just "plug" the beacon on the mount when I needed it. These Hella beacons are very bright and have that classy fast rotation as seen all over Europe. Look on here in the near future in the classifieds section or PM me and I'll get back to you next week when I get off vacation.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Sorry, the John Deere factory lights suck.

We had a Gator with one and it sucked. The other Gator had a factory angled canopy making mounting a light bar difficult.

I agree that slow moving farm vehicles need more warning lights when on the road.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.