Favorite Mechanical Tone

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
Which siren has your favorite mechanical tone? Please link example vids.

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
guy m. said:
If your asking about actual mechanical siren tone it would be the Federal Signal Pulsator, here's a video of mine :)

Was looking mainly for an electronic siren tone, But I'm also interested in mechanical sirens also.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
+1

Definitely the eq2b or the xecutor. There's a video on youtube of an FD Ambulance (I though BCFD or DCFD) using a whelen mech tone that sounded really good. But it couldn't be a 295 because I have one, and it definitely doesn't sound as good as the one I heard.

I'll try to find it

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
If we're thinking of electronically simulated mechanical tones, the best I've heard so far are:

Federal PA5 Director (c. 1961-1962)

Whelen Executor

If we're thinking of actual mechanical sirens, I like those that 'growl' when they wind up. The best growlers I've heard are:

Federal double tone 77 series sirens

B&M Super Chief

Federal model WL (standard pitch, with eight ports in the rotor/stator assembly)

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
In Reply to your post #109252

Wailer said:
Federal PA5 Director

Agreed!!!

If only I could find one!

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Whelen Xecutor is one of my favorite siren systems, with the awesome Q sound.

EQ sucks in my opinion, doesnt have the deep growl, or steady wind down like a real Q.

Whelens new mechanical tone sucks majorly, i used it for a little bit, but got rid of the siren.

The Alpha 12Q was neat. Had DIP switches to change the pitch and growl of the tone, but its no more.

Carson has a great sounding Q in my opinion. Wind down aint long, but i dont need a long wind down. Mines usually wound up or winding down from being peaked.

May 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
For electronics, the Whelen xecutor sounds really good, with a deeper gutteral growl. The EQ2, as othes have said, sounds crappy and too high pitched. For real mechanicals, the B & M CS8B and Super Chief, which, by the way test slightly louder than the Q. The Timber Wolf sounds very good also.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If we are talking currently produced electronic "mechanical tones" my vote is for carson.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I'm looking into the eq2b for a second siren. I don't think I can put the real Q on a 2010 Sienna even though I would love to. Does anyone know if version 2 came yet.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Just bought a NIB EQ2b to add to my CenCom Gold , Howler and 1510 Air Horn. I wanted to put a Q2 but I dont think it would fit in a 2010 Sienna. After much debate it was between the Xecuter and the Eq2b. Whelen doesnt make the Xecuter and I wanted only NIB.

orion61243

Mar 5, 2011
United States Fl
My two favorite: Code 3 Mastercom on Hi Lo while pushing manual button.....actually used that one many times. My other favorite (which was before my time) Federal PA200 right between wail and yelp. Gotta love them both!

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
anyone know of a currently manufactured stand alone mechanical tone unit besides the eq2

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
orion61243 said:
My two favorite: Code 3 Mastercom on Hi Lo while pushing manual button.....actually used that one many times. My other favorite (which was before my time) Federal PA200 right between wail and yelp. Gotta love them both!

This thread is about your favorite mechanical tone, not your favorite siren tone in general.

911caddy

Mar 28, 2011
Canada BC
I have to agree with some of the other posts. Whelen kicked Federal's butt with the Xecutor siren way before the eQ siren came into production. And IMO it sounds way better in my opinion today. (The Xecutor has a switch to make it sounds more mechanical or less).

As far as true electro Mechancical siren tone.. The Sterling #20 and #30. And of course the B&M Super Chief siren!!

No clue how to attach a video.. But feel free to check my vids on youtube under my user name. Enjoy!

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
philyumpshus said:
"Which siren has your favorite mechanical tone?" in a thread titled "Favorite Mechanical Tone." Clear enough?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :thx: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.