FD EMS Chase Vehicle - Dead, Transmission Died

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
So I got everything hooked up this weekend. And, I'm sorry, I forgot to take pictures. But she looks gorgeous! Just a few of the things done, I had to rewire the switch box, cause someone decided years ago to unwire the 40 amp relay I needed to run the rotators, I had to run another 100 amp circuit breaker and separate line power line for the switch box. Mounted the strap kit, made a new wiring harness, rewired the inside of the bar for our needs and ran all appropriate cabling. It took a bit longer than expected, but she looks awesome! I responded to a call shortly after finishing and she cleared traffic beautifully!! I feel much better about driving this to calls now that she's more visible. The only thing I'm worried about now iso the charging system. I'm putting a lot of stress on the alternator and battery with the additional amperage. I'll be looking for new cheap higher output alternator, preferably from a junk yard for a close to free as possible. I'll get a video as soon aso I can, I've got a busy week this week.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Sounds like it's one helluva win on your end. The lightbar looks great in that one video and I'm really excited to see the new, improved rewired version!
Thanks!! And she looks wonderful, it takes me back to the old days for sure! I really miss rotators on vehicles!! It sure was a wonderful victory for us who have been fighting for it. I understand that they don't want to pump money into a 16 year old truck, especially when it could kick the can at any moment. But we can be putting our members in danger cause no one can see them. So, with this, we just need to stripe it a bit and we'll be done. But I'll take what I can get for now.

I'll try to get a video and some pictures tomorrow before I head out to our county fair for duty.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Ok, here a video of the bar mounted in the daylight. I'm still going to put a coat of plasti-dip over the top to block some if the sun light. But over all, it helps a lot. Plus it takes me back to the good old days as a kid looking from afar at the officers and firefighters doing their thing. Even though I'm a huge huge led fan, especially Feniex, there's just something about an old fashioned rotator that can't get reproduced. Anyways, enjoy!

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Ok, here a video of the bar mounted in the daylight. I'm still going to put a coat of plasti-dip over the top to block some if the sun light. But over all, it helps a lot. Plus it takes me back to the good old days as a kid looking from afar at the officers and firefighters doing their thing. Even though I'm a huge huge led fan, especially Feniex, there's just something about an old fashioned rotator that can't get reproduced. Anyways, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/ORFbng_q9t4
Looks great. The only thing different is have done was red domes. But I know you said yall had it like that in storage already. Just never been a fan of clear domes and colored filters.

I think the halogen bar really sets it off though.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
That thing looks amazing. Great job. Agreed on the need of striping, but I'd say you did an amazing job with a no-budget car such as this. Especially because 99% of emergency vehicles never had lighting this good at any point in time in the history of emergency vehicles. 

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Man I was following this cheering you on from the beginning.... right up until the clear domes on that Streethawk. I was hoping for a R/C/R setup just because I think sunlight causes a lot of washout during daytime responses with the clear domes.  Well with that being my only complaint, I congratulate you on a job well done and a rig I can say I'm jealous of.  You kept it period correct and highly effective on a shoe string budget. I hope your agency appreciates the effort you put in because you're the guy that keeps volunteer agencies running.

Reactions: bullfrog4ever

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Thanks for all the complements! I agree and definitely would've liked some red domes. That would've really set it off. But I'll take what I can get, lol. I actually found out that we got most of these older bars 2nd hand from our local steel mills years ago. But again, I'm thoroughly happy with how it turned out. For a "temporary" truck, I think it turned out decent for not having any real budget and having to make sure it was done correctly.

Reactions: Krsdog25

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Outstanding job for a no budget, finding used stuff around the fire house.  It's just me, but I would make the front outer red flashers steady burn, but that's because I started my LE/Fire/EMS career in CA.

Again great job, keep up the good work.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Thanks guys! I've gotten a lot of good feedback, even from a couple people who weren't initially receptive to it. Had a call the other night and a couple young kids were complementing on how much they liked truck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: strobecrazy

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Sadly, the ol' girl is leaving us. The transmission stopped, I believe the planetary gears are destroyed. She'll barely move forward, she won't move in reverse and park apparently busted too. Chief has already said, he doesn't want to put any more money into this truck and try to limp it along. It came into service with the understanding it was buying us time until we got a squad. So sadly, she'll be leaving our fleet after 1 1/2 years back in service. I'm gonna miss that truck, but at least one of our members will be purchasing it. So with that, this thread will be no longer. But hopefully I'll have a couple when we get our new squad and brush truck! Stay tuned! Thanks for all the support!

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Thanks, appreciate it! We should have a couple coming up. Hopefully over the winter I'll have another upfit to do.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I love those old burbs. The tranny was definitely the weak link in those things. Just imagine if it had the 454 V8! A few of my old county burbs for prison transport had em, they were a beast.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I love those old burbs. The tranny was definitely the weak link in those things. Just imagine if it had the 454 V8! A few of my old county burbs for prison transport had em, they were a beast.

Yeah. it definitely was. That 5.7L still has a ton of life left too! I'd love to habe the 454 in there!
It also doesn't help that this truck was a stock rental truck before we got it the first time!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.