Fed-Sig CJ-184

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
One of my favorite lights from my past, is the Federal Signal CJ-184. I have looked around some here on ELB, however, between the size of this great web site and the sorry condition of my back at the moment, I just can't sit long enough to make a lot of headway in one search.

I'm sure some of you advanced collectors have 1 or 12 laying around or mounted like a moose-head in Manitoba! If you do, I'd like to see some of your photos. While the majority I used to see had the blue domes and used by police, I did know of one fire chief in North Carolina who used one with a red dome, on his official vehicle.

What's the going rate for one in working and in fair to good condition?

And speaking of condition, what do some of you enthusiasts believe is a good product to use when cleaning up a dome?

Thanks,

Steve

DalmatProd

Last edited by a moderator:

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
ex416 said:
How about a picture of each: (CJ184 & CJ284)

View attachment 56674

Meguiar's Plastx is a plastic cleaner and polish that works pretty good on lenses.
==========================================

Thanks for such a fast reply and the pics, especially since these two did indeed have the red domes! What was the difference between the 184 and the 284 models? By a quick visual, they looked identical.

And thanks for the tip on the Maguiar's product. I'll pick some up this week!

Any more hiding out there?

Steve

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
DalmatProd said:
==========================================
Thanks for such a fast reply and the pics, especially since these two did indeed have the red domes! What was the difference between the 184 and the 284 models? By a quick visual, they looked identical.

And thanks for the tip on the Maguiar's product. I'll pick some up this week!

Any more hiding out there?

Steve

the CJ184 had a 58 watt speaker whereas the CJ284 had a 100 watt speaker. the CJ284 was the later model.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Aha!!

Thanks,

Steve

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
ERIC6913 said:
thanks, but i actually still need to give them my "polishing" treatment to really make them shine!

Oh? Because they are not yet at their shiniest? Wow, what will that be?! :D

Side note, Eric, would the split some method work on something else than federal domes? Did Ryan make them?

To the OP, welcome to the board! :)

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Yes, I did make those. I have a jig for 14/100, 17-176 and 184 lenses.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Eric,

Do you have any videos of those lights? They must look very good when activated!

Thanks,

Steve

DalmatProd

p.s. You never answered my most important question: How much is either of the models going for these days, in decent condition?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
DalmatProd said:
Eric,
Do you have any videos of those lights? They must look very good when activated!

Thanks,

Steve

DalmatProd

p.s. You never answered my most important question: How much is either of the models going for these days, in decent condition?

Eric never does videos of his lights. It'd be so bright it would obliterate the sun...

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
In my own very biased opinion, the speakers in the CJ184/284 units sound best with the PA15A and PA20A sirens that have the deep low-pitched wail and yelp tones (B, C, and D series - c. late 1960s to very early 1970s). When I was I kid I remember seeing a police patrol car, a FD battalion chief car, and three fire engines equipped with those lights and sirens. They looked and sounded great. Best light/siren/speaker combo I ever saw and heard.

The high-pitched E series PA15As and PA20As (c. 1970s) sound better with the TS series speakers in the Twin Sonic light bar.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Sarge, Thanks for posting your pics. I've been somewhat confined to bed the last few days and started thinking about any other department that I could remember used either the 184 or 284. It was on the tip of my tongue when the message regarding your post popped up! I grew up just outside of Boston and drove the Mass Turnpike very frequently and passed the Troop E barracks on the Turnpike, as well as Troop F at Logan airport. Thanks to your post, I realized the feeble functioning of my tired, old brain! Growing up and driving in the greater Boston area, it was the absolute last thing you ever wanted to see in your rear-view mirror.

Thanks again!

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
CJ's were very popular in law enforcement in the late '60s and early through mid '70s in Florida and Georgia (as I am sure they were equally popular in other states, too). They were a great combination of 360-degree lighting with a self-contained siren speaker. It is still one of my favorite lights.

I have seen them rotate at a variety of RPMs, slower ones probably due to age, but FHP had them set to really crank. I think their flash rates were well over 200 per minute. You could tell it was a trooper miles down the road by the speed of the blue flashes.

One night I was driving along I-75 near Ft Myers and saw alternating red and blue flashes a few miles ahead. As I got closer it looked like a Visi-bar with red on one side and blue on the other. It wasn't until I was much closer that I realized it was a CJ with alternating blue & red bulbs on a local sheriff's office unit. That was my first experience with red & blue color-shifting.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
That's something I never saw in the northeast. All the ones I saw were either red or blue.

The strangest light bar I've ever seen was in 1975 in either Maryland or Delaware. The light (which I believe was of Mars origin) was on a scissor lift and could be elevated at least 3-4 feet and gave new meaning to "high visibility!"

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
DalmatProd said:
Sarge, Thanks for posting your pics. I've been somewhat confined to bed the last few days and started thinking about any other department that I could remember used either the 184 or 284. It was on the tip of my tongue when the message regarding your post popped up! I grew up just outside of Boston and drove the Mass Turnpike very frequently and passed the Troop E barracks on the Turnpike, as well as Troop F at Logan airport. Thanks to your post, I realized the feeble functioning of my tired, old brain! Growing up and driving in the greater Boston area, it was the absolute last thing you ever wanted to see in your rear-view mirror.
Thanks again!

My pleasure sir! The CJ's were used extensively by the state and local agencies (including Boston PD) right up until the late seventies (and in some cases even later.... I worked next to a town whose K-9 cruiser had a CJ184 right up until the mid-eighties).

It should be noted that quite a few of those agencies used split domes with blue to the front and red to the rear, the MSP doing so from about 1965 until the mid-seventies when a solid blue dome became the norm (though you could still find a few specimens wearing split domes).

I am in the process of hopefully acquiring a genuine 1978 Ford LTD 460cid C-code Interceptor sedan which will be refinished as a MSP "Bluebird" from that era. I've already located the car and have the proper lights, siren, two-way radio/antenna and genuine MSP Fleet Section-produced transmission hump bracket for mounting the radio head and siren amplifier. If all goes well, this will hopefully come together in the not too distant future.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
JennyCop said:
I expect pictures mister!
Ask and you shall receive, my dear! Nothing is cast in stone, and it'll take a few stars to align properly, but if the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, THIS will hopefully be my new project (all photos courtesy of Thebronze):

78 CSP LTD.jpg

78 CSP LTD [2].jpg

78 CSP LTD [3].jpg

78 CSP LTD [4].jpg

78 CSP LTD [5].jpg

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Sarge619 said:
Ask and you shall receive, my dear! Nothing is cast in stone, and it'll take a few stars to align properly, but if the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, THIS will hopefully be my new project (all photos courtesy of Thebronze):

=====================================

Sarge,

You have a great start there. You won't even need a paint job, unless you're planning to darken the blue of your car to match the dark blue of the MSP?

I also forgot to mention the the MSP's General Headquarters, Training Academy, and Station H-2, as well as the State of Massachusetts Emergency Management Center, were all located in my hometown of Framingham, on Route 9, where I drove hundred, if not thousands, of times, as I was growing up!

Steve

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
DalmatProd said:
=====================================
Sarge,

You have a great start there. You won't even need a paint job, unless you're planning to darken the blue of your car to match the dark blue of the MSP?

I also forgot to mention the the MSP's General Headquarters, Training Academy, and Station H-2, as well as the State of Massachusetts Emergency Management Center, were all located in my hometown of Framingham, on Route 9, where I drove hundred, if not thousands, of times, as I was growing up!

Steve

Thanks Steve! Not sure when the last time you were up..... but the entire former Academy facility originally opened in 1972 is now General Headquarters (converted starting in the mid 90's) which was relocated from 1010 Commonwealth Ave. in Boston.The Academy was moved out to New Braintree in the middle of nowhere (early 90's to an unfinished prison complex that the residents of the area protested against, so, it was converted). While Fleet Sections main garage is still on the Framingham site, most operations are now up at the former Fort Devens (now known as the Community of Devens) in Ayer as well as five other satellite locations. Supply Section (I believe) is still on the grounds in Framingham as is H-2 Barracks. The bunker is still MEMA Headquarters.

Unfortunately, to replicate a proper "Bluebird", the car will require a complete repaint so that the roof/hood/trunk/front doors are "French Blue", and the fenders "Electric Blue" (the automotive paint colors are named differently, IIRC the lighter shade is "Spinnaker Blue", etc.). The current color is a medium metallic blue (it was a Connecticut State Police cruiser originally), not really close to either shade that MSP uses and above all is metallic, while MSP two-tones were not.

That said though, that will be the biggest task to be completed. The interior is spotless and in amazing condition, mechanically it has been totally gone over and it only has, get this, 81,000 miles on it (it is believed it was a ranking officer, possibly a troop commanders car, so not a lot of use)!

I have a graphics guy that I used for over 20 years to do my own departments vehicles who can replicate the seals and lettering in the correct sizes and fonts and as I said before

I have all the proper emergency equipment for her. I only wish I could taker her home and get started right now!!

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
Hey Sarge, Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me that engine compartment photo is mopar!! That orange dual snorkel air cleaner is the give away! I love them old Fords too, Trying to obtain a 1970 Galaxie to put among my 2 Fury's and Diplomat

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Sarge,

Thanks for the civics update! LOL My younger brother still lives in the greater Boston area and this was the first summer in the last three that I didn't make it up there. I wanted to and I was as close as Albany and NYC, however, we brought our puppy along on the road trip (she was terrific the whole way!) and they're not "dog" people. And to stay at the Marriott on the Waltham/Newton border, would have cost a fortune IF they were even dog-friendly! Unfortunately, my family never quite understood my passion as a first responder in both fire and EMS, so he'd never bother to let me know any of the changes that you told me about. Can I assume that the MA state Emergency Operations Center is still located in the "hump?" (Ha! It's Wednesday! Hump Day!)

If I may, where were you on the job? In MA? (If you prefer not to advertise, please feel free to ignore the question or PM me). Starting in my junior year of high school, I had a girlfriend who lived in Newton Center. So, I could take Route 9, the Pike, or Route 30, to her house and back to mine in Framingham. Within a year of that, my older brother started grad school in NYC and of course, that was the Pike to I-84. And as much as I loved driving any of those roads, the one thing I wanted least of all was to be stopped by a MA or CT trooper!! Without a doubt, those two troopers were both the most feared and revered troopers in New England.

If someone made it past the Academy, you know that person was worth their salt! Never waiver, never flinch. If you treated them with respect, you received the same in return. But piss them off and you were in for holy hell!

I've been up to Boston as often as I could over the last thirty years, to visit my folks while they were still with us. I'm glad you mentioned your car was a former CT trooper car, as I didn't think that MA troopers used that model of LTD. Last summer I flew in to Logan and there was some big hubbub when we exited to look for my brother, so there were troopers all over the place and honestly, the car models still looked the same!

Another for cop on here recently purchased a used NYPD vehicle at an online auction. He had to drive to NJ to pick it up and when he got there, the car had lights, sirens, radios, etc., all the toys that one of us could wish for!

Good luck on the refurb and please keep those pictures coming in!

Steve

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
plybeep68 said:
Hey Sarge, Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me that engine compartment photo is mopar!! That orange dual snorkel air cleaner is the give away! I love them old Fords too, Trying to obtain a 1970 Galaxie to put among my 2 Fury's and Diplomat

ROFLOL!!! You're absolutely right!!! That's an engine compartment photo of his Plymouth Fury!!!! My bad!! I gotta dig around my collection to find the right engine pic. Thanks for catching that!!

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
DalmatProd said:
Sarge,

Thanks for the civics update! LOL My younger brother still lives in the greater Boston area and this was the first summer in the last three that I didn't make it up there. I wanted to and I was as close as Albany and NYC, however, we brought our puppy along on the road trip (she was terrific the whole way!) and they're not "dog" people. And to stay at the Marriott on the Waltham/Newton border, would have cost a fortune IF they were even dog-friendly! Unfortunately, my family never quite understood my passion as a first responder in both fire and EMS, so he'd never bother to let me know any of the changes that you told me about. Can I assume that the MA state Emergency Operations Center is still located in the "hump?" (Ha! It's Wednesday! Hump Day!)

If I may, where were you on the job? In MA? (If you prefer not to advertise, please feel free to ignore the question or PM me). Starting in my junior year of high school, I had a girlfriend who lived in Newton Center. So, I could take Route 9, the Pike, or Route 30, to her house and back to mine in Framingham. Within a year of that, my older brother started grad school in NYC and of course, that was the Pike to I-84. And as much as I loved driving any of those roads, the one thing I wanted least of all was to be stopped by a MA or CT trooper!! Without a doubt, those two troopers were both the most feared and revered troopers in New England.

If someone made it past the Academy, you know that person was worth their salt! Never waiver, never flinch. If you treated them with respect, you received the same in return. But piss them off and you were in for holy hell!

I've been up to Boston as often as I could over the last thirty years, to visit my folks while they were still with us. I'm glad you mentioned your car was a former CT trooper car, as I didn't think that MA troopers used that model of LTD. Last summer I flew in to Logan and there was some big hubbub when we exited to look for my brother, so there were troopers all over the place and honestly, the car models still looked the same!

Another for cop on here recently purchased a used NYPD vehicle at an online auction. He had to drive to NJ to pick it up and when he got there, the car had lights, sirens, radios, etc., all the toys that one of us could wish for!

Good luck on the refurb and please keep those pictures coming in!

Steve

Steve,

I worked first for the Littleton PD dispatching (1981) right out of high school, went away to college in Richmond, VA where I worked as a Student Auxiliary for the campus police and also as a Neighborhood Assistance Officer (auxiliary) for the Richmond Bureau of Police. I worked summers as a relief dispatcher for the Bolton PD (Worcester County) where I was eventually hired full-time and worked for 29 years, the last several as Sergeant.

FYI, MSP did use that style LTD, starting in '75 when it was called the Custom 500, right up until the '78 model year pictured here (all were basically identical. They also purchased other makes/models during that period with split-bids, for example one year they bought the Fords and Plymouth Gran Furys. That was a typical practice in the 70's for them). I have a bunch of archive pics of that style MSP Ford in my collection if you're interested. The only major differences I've found between Connecticut's and Mass's '78 LTD's was that the CSP cars had a hand throttle adjacent to the steering wheel to increase RPM's while the car was idling with it's emergency gear on, while MSP LTD's did not have the hand throttle option, MSP cars were equipped with a Unity spotlight while CSP cars had none and CSP's Whelen strobe bar setups were removable while MSP's CJ's were permanently mounted. (photo credit to the original photographers - unknown - source = the internet over the years)

Mike

MSP 75 Ford Custom.jpg

MSP 77 Ford LTD's  duringt Blizzard of '78.jpg

MSP 78 Ford LTD (Mass Pike).jpg

MSP 78 Ford LTD.jpg

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Mike, Thanks for that additional info and those pics. A couple of those pics we used to call, "S.S.'s" (for sphincter squeezers!)," because if you had that blue "CJ" flashing in your rear view mirror, you couldn't knock a 3-penny nail up....well, I'm sure you know the rest! And considering that, at least, during that time, all of the troopers wore uniforms similar to what many motor units wear today, i.e. the high boots, cross-strap on JB, etc., every trooper cut a very imposing and awe-demanding, figure!

I'm very happy that this thread has picked up some great traction, but there's one piece of information remains missing in response to my initial post: To Wit- What is a 184 or 284 in decent condition (even without a speaker) going for today for a lowly, neophyte collector??? ;-)

Best regards,

Steve

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
DalmatProd said:
Mike, Thanks for that additional info and those pics. A couple of those pics we used to call, "S.S.'s" (for sphincter squeezers!)," because if you had that blue "CJ" flashing in your rear view mirror, you couldn't knock a 3-penny nail up....well, I'm sure you know the rest! And considering that, at least, during that time, all of the troopers wore uniforms similar to what many motor units wear today, i.e. the high boots, cross-strap on JB, etc., every trooper cut a very imposing and awe-demanding, figure!

I'm very happy that this thread has picked up some great traction, but there's one piece of information remains missing in response to my initial post: To Wit- What is a 184 or 284 in decent condition (even without a speaker) going for today for a lowly, neophyte collector??? ;-)

Best regards,

Steve

Steve,

The MSP uniform is broken down into two basic categories: Summer and Winter.

Summer is worn from April 15th until October 14th and consists of French Blue short-sleeved shirt worn open at the collar, Electric Blue slacks w/1 inch light blue stripe, Milan straw campaign hat, Sam Browne belt and "paratroop boots".

The winter uniform, worn from October 15th until April 14th consists of the traditional French Blue long-sleeved shirt worn with black tie, wool-elastique Electric Blue riding breeches w/one inch light blue stripe with custom riding boots, wool French and Electric Blue "garrison" cap with front and rear chinstraps and Sam Browne belt worn with cross-strap. The "Class A" uniform consists of the winter uniform with the addition of the wool-elastique French Blue blouse coat w/Electric Blue collar, epaulettes, lapels and cuffs. In the summer months the campaign cover is worn with the Class A, in the winter the garrison cap.

There are, of course various modern outerwear items issued including cruiser jackets, raincoats/jackets, reflective vests, etc. all of which can be worn in conjunction with the winter and summer uniforms.

To answer you CJ question.... it can vary greatly depending on the seller. I purchased my A1 version for $195.00 (excellent condition) and my E2 for $175.00 (near new condition). I've seen prices as low as $150.00 and as high as $350.00. A good retail indicator, based on refurbished units with mint or NOS domes would be Doug at Great Lakes Fire Store(Great Lakes Fire Store | Vintage Lights & Sirens, Duty Tees) or Siren and Beacon Sales and Repair (Antique Police and Fire Sirens & Beacons: Sales, Service, Restoration) which was the late John Dorgan's operation, now run by his son. I'd say the median price is in the $200-$250 range (though like I said, in private sales and on eBay, you'll see them fetching higher prices sometimes).

Mike

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
plybeep68 said:

THIS is the photo I should've posted, that massive 460ci 4bbl 4 valve C-Code Interceptor mill in the car I hope to acquire. Again, sorry for the SNAFU (photo credit Thebronze):

78 LTD [7].jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ERIC6913 said:

At one time the amber/red domes for the 184s and CJs were regular Federal builds. I can't remember the service, but I've seen pix of a nice old Cadillac ambulance from California that had a pair of 184s on the front corners of the hightop and they both had the amber/red domes.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DalmatProd said:
One of my favorite lights from my past, is the Federal Signal CJ-184. I have looked around some here on ELB, however, between the size of this great web site and the sorry condition of my back at the moment, I just can't sit long enough to make a lot of headway in one search.

I'm sure some of you advanced collectors have 1 or 12 laying around or mounted like a moose-head in Manitoba! If you do, I'd like to see some of your photos. While the majority I used to see had the blue domes and used by police, I did know of one fire chief in North Carolina who used one with a red dome, on his official vehicle.

What's the going rate for one in working and in fair to good condition?

And speaking of condition, what do some of you enthusiasts believe is a good product to use when cleaning up a dome?

Thanks,

Steve

DalmatProd

Welcome aboard, Steve. So you're from Bahstan, huh? My dad was from Fall Rivah! :p

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Skip,

I'm not surprised with the dual colors as CA has had the "Amber-to-the-Rear" law since at least the early sixties.

Steve

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Split red/amber domes use to be seen on Maine F.D.'s (before lightbars). Ahead of NFPA's standards, it was believed the amber cut thru smoke/fog better than red while on scene (rear placement). Since the experts are here, did Federal offer one with 2 par46 bulbs?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.