Fed Sig Unitrol Touchmaster...

EMSChief1

Jul 17, 2010
NY/NJ
Has anyone ever tried to control a Touchmaster or Touchmaster Delta Siren remotely? I'm moving equipment to a new POV and my install space in limited in the front. I'd like to put the Touchmaster in the trunk and try to control it with switches up front. I basically use Wail, Yelp and the sweep function. Any ideas? Budget it tight so I can't just go out and buy a new siren.

Any siren pretty much can be remoted if the installer knows what hes doing. I had a regular Whelen siren remoted in my car. If might be cheaper to buy a new romote siren depending on how much your installer will charge you.

I just did this job . The first red momentary is for a Gorver 1510 stuttertone air horn , The next red switch is from the Whelen Duel Siren . You can remote any siren. I made a Costum plate to fit the siren and all the switches for the Tomar Blade Lightbar. ai950.photobucket.com_albums_ad345_VolEms_medic8siren.jpg

If you like the Unitrol stuff, get an Omega amp. It'll be way easier on you in the end.

rwo978 said:
If you like the Unitrol stuff, get an Omega amp. It'll be way easier on you in the end.

+1. More controls too for the functions.

There have been several discussions about doing it but on my Omega 90 that I have controlled by my SS2000, One button does Wail, one does manual and one does Sweep. There are wires for most of the tones and controls (sweep, manual, etc)

Hes said his budget was tight. Hes trying to use his current siren and remote it . The answer is Yes you can remote it.

VolEms said:
Hes said his budget was tight. Hes trying to use his current siren and remote it . The answer is Yes you can remote it.

But unless you know how to do it yourself, you're going to end up spending more to have someone do it for you, as opposed to buying a Omega 90 amp (which average like $40 on here and fleaBay) and easily doing it yourself.....

Rofocowboy84 said:
But unless you know how to do it yourself, you're going to end up spending more to have someone do it for you, as opposed to buying a Omega 90 amp (which average like $40 on here and fleaBay) and easily doing it yourself.....

Agreed

rwo978 said:

Bingo.

I know what he said. You, yourself, VolEms suggested buying a remote siren.

I have purchased two Omega 90s on ebay one for $30 and another for $20 shipped. Cables can be had for less than $30 typically. As apposed to screwing with a console siren and fiddling with the wiring and junk and ruining a nice $300+ siren.

Going with a used U90 amp instead. Going to run it to two swiches (one Wail/Off/Yelp and the other Sweep). Budget is tight, but like others have mentioned I think in the long run it would cost more for a custom job with the Touchmaster. Plus I have a buyer for the Touchmaster to offset some of the cost which helps.

Thanks guys, I'll post up some pics when it's done. Everyone is going into an 07 Explorer.

Klein...I saw you're Explorer on the boards and that is probably the brightest interior lightbar and one of the best set up's I've seen. How is the visibility out the front windshield with the ILS..it looks big? One of the Captains of a neighboring Corps has an interior Pinnacle in his Expedition and It's barely noticable up there but that little sucker is bright. I can't even image what that ILS looks like at night. What is the cost difference and why did you choose the ILS?

VolEms...I also trolled the posts and saw you were a TOMAR guy. How do you like the 200s high power dashlights compared to the Whelen Avengers?

Flashback is not bad at all. I am very picky when it comes to safety and driving and if I thought it would hinder my driving I would not use it. It is rather large however it is not made for my truck so the fit is off. The Pinnacle was my next choice but I just could not turn the ILS away eventhough the Pinnacle has a custom fit and not just brackets like a SV. At the time of purchase I was an employee at an install shop so there is a price difference there however it is more pricey than most interior bars. If you like to customize or can make anything fit properly in any vehicle than try your luck with an ILS otherwise stick with what fits for your vehicle/Explorer. I chose the ILS for the obvious, more noticeable choice...brightness. I have yet to see a brighter interior bar. Everyone on scene is always talking about it.

VolEms...I also trolled the posts and saw you were a TOMAR guy. How do you like the 200s high power dashlights compared to the Whelen Avengers?

I'd like to set up the Omega 90 to do the same sweep as the Touchmaster Delta...see

It sounds like the touchmaster in this video does Yelp, Futura and Ultra Hi-lo. I can't seem to find anything showing the Omega does the same Ultra Hi-Lo, only a Hi-Lo, Hetro or Alarm. Does the Omega 90 have the Ultra tone. If so, how do I set the dip switches to cycle the same as the Touchmaster?

EMSChief1 said:
Well I think I answered my own question. I found this and it looks like the Ultra Hi-Lo is only available as a choice option and not in the sweep function. Someone correct me if I'm wrong....
http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/ins ... U90-00.pdf

Look at the bottom of page 2 of the manual, on the left hand side it says:

*For 4-Tone Hi-Lo switch 4 in a group 2 ON.
This is a cryptic way of telling you to turn on switch 4 in group 2 to change the sweep's Hi-Lo into the Ultra Hi-Lo. Further, setting switch 4 in group 2 will have the side effect of making the choice's Hi-Lo, if selected, into the Ultra Hi-Lo as well.

I'm comparing the Touchmaster Delta Untra-HiLo...see

Is it just me or are they different? The Touchmaster Delta rounds more "ringy." The Ultra-HiLo is the third tones in the sweep for each.

I agree with you on the sound of the TM-Delta. I run dual Unitrol Omega 90's using the 8001 controller and love all the sounds it can emit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381