Federal Interceptor PA20 wail malfunction

AM1

Oct 20, 2014
Louisiana
Hello All! I’ve recently purchased a PA20 series 2C Interceptor that makes a chirping sound when Wail is selected. The other tones and manual work well though.
I found an owners manual for a series 2E with a malfunction diagnosis for a chirping Yelp, would the diagnosis for the Wail be the same fix?
Has anyone else encountered this problem and what was needed to fix the issue?
Thanks!
AM6139BD25-668A-43E5-BD4A-EBEE195678B9.jpeg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
@MtnMan is our resident expert on the repair of electronic sirens. If I'm looking at the same document you are, I'd start with the wail capacitor, marked C3.

Reactions: AM1

AM1

Oct 20, 2014
Louisiana
@MtnMan is our resident expert on the repair of electronic sirens. If I'm looking at the same document you are, I'd start with the wail capacitor, marked C3.
Thanks, the document I found was the Fed Sig manual for the series 2E. I found another one for the series 2B so I’m guessing there’s not much different between it and the 2C. I’ll take a look at that capacitor.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Thanks, the document I found was the Fed Sig manual for the series 2E. I found another one for the series 2B so I’m guessing there’s not much different between it and the 2C. I’ll take a look at that capacitor.
Series 2B, 2C, and 2D have the same circuit board. The circuit is designed to produce deep low-pitched slow rising wail and yelp tones. It doesn't sound anything like the sirens that are in use today. A series 2C would have been manufactured in 1968.

Series 2E was introduced in the early 1970s and has an entirely different circuit board. The 2E circuit was designed to produce high-pitched wail and yelp tones like the sirens we hear nowadays.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.