Federal Legend troubles......

exphillycop

Apr 18, 2012
Holmes Beach, Florida
The legend on my car is driving me nuts. It works fine on mode 1 and 2,, but when it is switched to mode 3, the lights stop working. It appears to be something with the flashing alleys and takedowns. Has anyone else had this problem?....please help...

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
While reprogramming my Legend flash patterns I also encountered an issue like you are describing. All I did was disconnect the harness with the 24 wires and plug it back into the serial interface box. It went away after that. I did not figure it out...

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Do the takedowns/alleys flash in mode 3 and the rest of the bar goes dark, or does nothing happen?

Does mode 3 flash if you unhook the flash takedown/alley wire? If so, does it shut off when you turn on your takedowns and alleys?

If the above does not affect operation, check the enable/cutoff wires. Dip switch one way will make them enable wires, dip switch the other way make them cut off wires. If those wires are set to enable, and tied to mode 1 and mode 2, those 2 modes must remain active when you are on mode 3.

exphillycop

Apr 18, 2012
Holmes Beach, Florida
the td/alleys flash on the passenger side. but if i hit the lightbar the lights come on. then if i turn them off then on again, same problem. also sometimes the alley lights do not activate immediately after the alley button is activated.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
I agree. Check the screws that tighten each circuit board down, as that is where they ground at. Also check where the main ground wire loops up to the main control board in the bar.

exphillycop

Apr 18, 2012
Holmes Beach, Florida
I resecured all the grounds and it worked for a while.....now if the car is off for some time the flashing alleys and t/d on the left side do not work except for a good hit on the bar causes them to activate....I'm stumped.....

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Quentin said:
Sounds like something else is still lose

Agreed.

I believe these are all of the ground points in the bar, but I might miss one. There is the main ground that comes in and screws down near the entrance point. From there are your individual grounds that go to each side of the bar and hook to one circuit board. The other circuit board is linked with a solid ground "strap". Since the takedowns are on a different board than the alley, and you are losing them both, check where the ground for that side comes in by the main ground, and check where it tightens to the circuit board on that side. Make sure there is no corrosion around the connection point.

exphillycop

Apr 18, 2012
Holmes Beach, Florida
Thank you guys for the info, i found that the aluminum piece that hold the boards down was broken and thats where i was loosing the ground. I removed the bracket and put 2 ground wires to the ground bolt on the bar......I hope this works. Also would i be able to get replacement brackets for my light? might as well replace the other side too

exphillycop

Apr 18, 2012
Holmes Beach, Florida
Another problem just arose with this lightbar. The left side alley and t/d light are out. I checked the fuses on the circuit board and the 15A fuse was blown, I attempted to replace it and the new one popped as well. This is a short somewhere, I checked the wires and all "looks" well. Any ideas where tis short may be?......the right side lights do work properly. All the LED are funtioning properly as well.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Is this an early model? There were some issues with the halogen lights on those. If if it is not, Federal will most likely replace the whole board anyway. They will send you a replacement, and you will mail the bad board back to keep from being billed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.