Federal PA1000 Siracom questions

72stormer

Sep 1, 2011
British Columbia Canada
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum:

I have a Federal PA-1000 Siracom siren/PA controler and mike. Ex-RCMP. (Here comes a bunch of questions!)What years were these produced? Are wiring schematics still available? Also, it doesnt have the upper "master control" unit i have seen CHP photo's of. Were they separate units bolted together or a single integrated unit? I've seen the master control switches in red and in white - does this have any significance or just cosmetic?

Thanks

image.jpg

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
They were produced by Federal Signal from 1973 to around 1980. The siren portion which you have, slides into the chassis which houses the master control unit which typically had a black or red rotary switch and red accessory rocker switches. The 2 sections were mated together by a control cable in the rear that connected the siren to the master control unit. The siren portion is essentially the same as the Federal PA-200. Schematics and operating manuals are probably still available on these units from Federal Signal.

72stormer

Sep 1, 2011
British Columbia Canada
Historically would that setup be suitable for a Federal CJ-284 set up and would it be considered "vintage" ie: if I was to look for a Master control unit, is that where I should post?

Cheers and thanks for the info.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The PA200 and PA1000 were introduced in 1974. The PA1000 is the same as the PA200 except that it is housed in a larger cabinet - siren on the bottom and light controls on top. What you have is a PA1000 in a PA200 cabinet - so it's basically a PA200 with a different name on it.

The PA200 was in production for a very long time - from 1974 to 1989.

The PA1000 was discontinued in the mid 1980s and was replaced with the PA2100 Siracom.

The unit you have looks to be late 1970s - early 1980s.

Like the PA200, the PA100 should be able to operate at 200 watts with two 100 watt speakers.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
72stormer said:
Historically would that setup be suitable for a Federal CJ-284 set up and would it be considered "vintage" ie: if I was to look for a Master control unit, is that where I should post?

Cheers and thanks for the info.

Historically speaking, the CJ284 would be fine for what you're doing. Check the hook up wiring for that siren. Some of the earlier PA200s and PA1000s have separate connections in the wiring harness to determine use for 58-watt or 100-watt. The later PA200s are rated for 200-watts and had a slide switch inside to select the power. I'm assuming, however, with what I've seen, yours is the earlier variety.

I have a very nice PA150, which Federal used to replace the Directors, and is basically a PA200 with a wired-in mic. Since this unit came with a Type II ambulance I bought several years ago, I'm not sure how it's wired so far as output. But it's hooked to a pair of CP100 speakers and will flat rattle your brain. It's gotta be pushing the full 200-watts.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
Check the hook up wiring for that siren. Some of the earlier PA200s and PA1000s have separate connections in the wiring harness to determine use for 58-watt or 100-watt.

According to my PA200 manual, the green and brown speaker leads (pins 5 and 6) are for 58 watt speakers and the yellow and brown leads (pins 7 and 6) are for 100 watt speakers.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Wailer said:
According to my PA200 manual, the green and brown speaker leads (pins 5 and 6) are for 58 watt speakers and the yellow and brown leads (pins 7 and 6) are for 100 watt speakers.

By the way, your siren and its close family, the PA15, PA20, PA150 and PA200 have the classic clear crisp Federal tones with ramp down. They are also able to make a really neat additional tone about halfway between wail and yelp. With the addition of a Motorola mic, they have very clear PA use, less distorted and much louder than most. IMHO the Motorola mic sounds better than the OEM Federal one. There is a switch inside for mic impedance differences, and it is possible to share the mic with two-way radios of that era via an interconnect cable.

Nice find

Bill

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
billforbush said:
By the way, your siren and its close family, the PA15, PA20, PA150 and PA200 have the classic clear crisp Federal tones with ramp down. They are also able to make a really neat additional tone about halfway between wail and yelp.

The PA15A series 1E and PA20A series 2E have the same siren oscillator circuit as the PA150 and PA200.

The PA15 and PA20 are much older sirens and don't sound anything like the PA150 or PA200.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.