Federal Signal JetSonic J-CAL find Updated 10/18/2016

Jun 18, 2013
PA
And another part of my find.. I do find it amusing finding a CAL bar in PA...
Seller stated that this was part of a movie, a prop of some sort.. he mentioned that the lights were clear.. something about some future type movie.. Whatever!

So I picked this up... turns out it's a J-CAL Series B Jetsonic.. chain driven and the interior is in immaculate condition. Domes are OK.. probably salvageable if I can't locate new ones.
I added the feet on this one from a spare set I had lazing about. Motor reads "82" And the bottom of the bar in engraved with the numbers 155.010438.

I have most of the inserts I would need to complete this bar... already have the feelers out for solid R/B endcaps and amber inserts for the flashers..

I'd like to order replacement domes.. problem would be the black top part which I do not believe they make anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to re-create that?

Optimized-20161009_160431.jpg Optimized-20161009_160451.jpg Optimized-20161009_160503.jpg Optimized-20161009_160520.jpg Optimized-20161009_162517.jpg Optimized-20161009_170826.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
I have a Jetsonic bar that needs the black tops repainted. Where do I find black satin finish paint? I assume it comes in a spray can? Is it a good idea to sand off the old paint first?

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I have a Jetsonic bar that needs the black tops repainted. Where do I find black satin finish paint? I assume it comes in a spray can? Is it a good idea to sand off the old paint first?
Any hardware store (True Value, Lowes, Home Depot) will have satin black in a spray can. There are several brands. Make sure you get a quick dry (most of them now are). If the old surface is fairly smooth Id just clean it off before painting it. Maybe lightly sand down any raised or damaged areas. Just tape off the area that you dont want to paint before spraying with painters or masking tape.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Is there anyway to buff the speaker housing without making it look worse?

Most auto parts stores have a satin black spray paint for use on black car trim that has been degraded by uv exposure--designed to take outdoor abuse. Try that on the speaker housing. I used some on my '92 Explorer wipe blade arms and they turned out great.

Don't forget...any good finish is the result of good prep work.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I actually had a better set of domes in storage that I forgot about.. so that solves that issue...

348 I appreciate the offer but I am gonna stick with what I have..

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Thanks to shibby1952 and my buddy Leslie from TN I was able to procure what I needed to complete this bar. I have a speaker for it, just need to get around to installing and it will be complete.

I ended up stealing a pair of domes off of another never ending jetsonic project bar.. I need to hit them with another round of plastix and they will look even better.

To be honest.. I really don't like the jet series bars.. (flame suit on!) I think the Aerodynic did a better job, and cosmetically the Aerodynic IMO looks better.. because of this many Jet-series bars have met a meh fate from me.. Why is this one different? Because its a J-CAL bar.. While I don't have the love for Cali bars like some on this forum I do recognize they are not all that common (well at least in PA) That and the interior of this bar is pristine.

Optimized-20161018_173652.jpg Optimized-20161018_173727.jpg Optimized-20161018_174507.jpg Optimized-20161018_174726.jpg

Video

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
Nice bar Rob. I had a similar situation. Answered a CL AD for a jetsonic, was amber /clear, took it home opened it up and J-CAL. Yes! Swapped out to red blue and added new domes. Only difference is mine has a clear TD on the blue side. Nice job!

Jun 18, 2013
PA

So 2 things worth noting.. I was not sure if the Tridon flasher in my bar was original, but toon your bar has the same type.. so I am assuming yes.

Also besides the alleys, which look almost plug and play. the bar is the same other then missing a blue filter over the passenger side takedown lamp and only 1 amber filter to the rear on the red side.

I'd put alleys on it, if I could locate the proper inserts.

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
-cal
So 2 things worth noting.. I was not sure if the Tridon flasher in my bar was original, but toon your bar has the same type.. so I am assuming yes.

Also besides the alleys, which look almost plug and play. the bar is the same other then missing a blue filter over the passenger side takedown lamp and only 1 amber filter to the rear on the red side.

I'd put alleys on it, if I could locate the proper inserts.

Not sure you can say the blue filter is "missing" over the pass side takedown as takedowns are usually clear. I know cal stuff sometimes has red AND blue steadys but the J-CALs Ive seen have the single clear pass side takedown.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
-cal

Not sure you can say the blue filter is "missing" over the pass side takedown as takedowns are usually clear. I know cal stuff sometimes has red AND blue steadys but the J-CALs Ive seen have the single clear pass side takedown.

ok so better term would be using a clear insert rather then a blue.. but nothing internal in the bar?

Regardless I think I will keep my bar with the all blue inserts.

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
Well if I remember correctly the takedown reflector is smooth chrome and the flasher (or steady burn) reflector is a rougher coated surface to spread the light into a wider pattern rather than the narrow beam.

Reactions: denko3

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
Well if I remember correctly the takedown reflector is smooth chrome and the flasher (or steady burn) reflector is a rougher coated surface to spread the light into a wider pattern rather than the narrow beam.
Yes you are probably right,it is the same stuff on lp6000 CA special.front ca steady burn had sprayed reflector like work light and basic reflector is shine chrome like mirror.
The CA bars had interesting rear setup on older bars like in the front.rear flashers had color A/B or A/A. Sometimes i think lasd used A/B and other agencies like lapd used A/A on rear....hmm.....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.