Federal Signal Legend Improved Optical Performance

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
It was far too bright to begin with. I don't know about you, but I like to be able to see where I'm going. :suicide:

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
nerdly_dood said:
It was far too bright to begin with. I don't know about you, but I like to be able to see where I'm going. :suicide:

In the day time, it can never be to bright. For night that is what low-power is for:thumbsup:

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
I really like the Legend on my PC, but it lacks true modularity. I am on the verge of talking my Boss into red and blue instead of solid blue and the Legend makes this a very costly operation.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
11b101abn said:
I really like the Legend on my PC, but it lacks true modularity. I am on the verge of talking my Boss into red and blue instead of solid blue and the Legend makes this a very costly operation.

Now are you talking about the newest style of reflectors and LEDs?

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
Quentin said:
Has anyone got ahold of the upgraded Legends?

The upgraded Legends are what is on these 2 Tahoes I just built. The output from them is greatly improved. Methinks FedSig is gearing up to offer the Legend in Multi-Color, like the Valor, and thus, the change in design.

7218046768_2b7296d94e_h.jpg

J. Forbes

May 24, 2010
Houston
11b101abn said:

Disagree - here's why:

To replace half of a Liberty you need two corner modules (List is 481.00 ea.) and five inboard modules, 3 rear and 2 front (List is 320.00 ea.). So you have a total list price of $2562.00 and a retail around $1537.20. You can buy the whole bar for that or less on some contracts. If you buy the 2 head kits they are 199.02 ea. per Sirennet.com. This would make the price $1174.26 for the corners and inboards. We sell the legend boards, 2 needed to change out one half of the bar, for $279.00 ea. Total cost to change half of a Legend out $558.00. May not be able to change one lighthead, but it is much less expensive than the alternative.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
J. Forbes said:
Disagree - here's why:

To replace half of a Liberty you need two corner modules (List is 481.00 ea.) and five inboard modules, 3 rear and 2 front (List is 320.00 ea.). So you have a total list price of $2562.00 and a retail around $1537.20. You can buy the whole bar for that or less on some contracts. If you buy the 2 head kits they are 199.02 ea. per Sirennet.com. This would make the price $1174.26 for the corners and inboards. We sell the legend boards, 2 needed to change out one half of the bar, for $279.00 ea. Total cost to change half of a Legend out $558.00. May not be able to change one lighthead, but it is much less expensive than the alternative.

That's the only decent explanation of this that even makes any sense at all. This doesn't hold up in the used market yet either.... but if the price is set to allow whole "chunks" being switched out, that really answers a good bit of my problem with non-modular design.

The issue of course still lies in the situation where I don't want to swap out half the bar. I like to talk depts into adding two amber heads to a bar.....

J. Forbes

May 24, 2010
Houston
JohnMarcson said:
That's the only decent explanation of this that even makes any sense at all. This doesn't hold up in the used market yet either.... but if the price is set to allow whole "chunks" being switched out, that really answers a good bit of my problem with non-modular design.

The issue of course still lies in the situation where I don't want to swap out half the bar. I like to talk depts into adding two amber heads to a bar.....

Not saying I agree with the design methidology, only disagreeing with the agrument that it is not cost effective to change the boards.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
J. Forbes said:
Not saying I agree with the design methidology, only disagreeing with the agrument that it is not cost effective to change the boards.

Which is actually the first time i have seen someone explain it correctly... so +1

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
cajunblitz said:
The upgraded Legends are what is on these 2 Tahoes I just built. The output from them is greatly improved. Methinks FedSig is gearing up to offer the Legend in Multi-Color, like the Valor, and thus, the change in design.

They did it primarily to get to SAE J595 Class 1 in all colours, and Class B for CA Title 13 (previously, corner modules were not Class B compliant), so they could make the Legend available to amber customers in California.

However, I'm guessing that they'll be moving towards a Spectralux design for the Legends and other similar products at some point in the near future (just my speculation, nothing official).

I'm glad to hear it is a significant change to the light output. I haven't seen a new one in action yet.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
leftcoastmark said:
They did it primarily to get to SAE J595 Class 1 in all colours, and Class B for CA Title 13 (previously, corner modules were not Class B compliant), so they could make the Legend available to amber customers in California.

However, I'm guessing that they'll be moving towards a Spectralux design for the Legends and other similar products at some point in the near future (just my speculation, nothing official).

I'm glad to hear it is a significant change to the light output. I haven't seen a new one in action yet.

Mark, I love the way you say "colours"....lol....damn Canuck....lol....

I believe your speculation will become fact....very soon.....

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
cajunblitz said:
...I believe your speculation will become fact....very soon.....

Ooh. Want. Don't need. But want.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
J. Forbes said:
Disagree - here's why:

Well, sheeeeot. Thanks for setting me straight. I guess I didn't know what I didn't know. I will certainly pass this on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.