Federal Signal Raydian?

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Anyone have any experience with these? Wiseguys (http://www.lightbars.net) have two in stock in blue and I'd really like to get one once I get rid of my shitty STL bar. Search here didn't have anything, but a youtube search looks like they're fairly bright.

Can the modules be swapped out as easily as say a Liberty?

The bars that Wiseguys have are equipped with blue endcaps over the modules, can you get clear endcap domes for these? Anyone know where to get them?

Thanks a lot guys.

emt322636 said:
Anyone have any experience with these? Wiseguys (http://www.lightbars.net) have two in stock in blue and I'd really like to get one once I get rid of my shitty STL bar. Search here didn't have anything, but a youtube search looks like they're fairly bright.

Can the modules be swapped out as easily as say a Liberty?

The bars that Wiseguys have are equipped with blue endcaps over the modules, can you get clear endcap domes for these? Anyone know where to get them?

Thanks a lot guys.

with any of the newer Federal Signal lightbars, you cannot simply change out the modules for another color... the bar is built in segments usually with 4 heads on it per segment... 2 front and 2 rear.

in order to change the color of the bar you have to order whole new boards. then you run the risk of it not being compatable software. its easier to either a: get it right the first time or b: order a new bar when (if ) you have to change colors.

that being said...

the Raydian is a goofy looking bar.

cory y said:
with any of the newer Federal Signal lightbars, you cannot simply change out the modules for another color... the bar is built in segments usually with 4 heads on it per segment... 2 front and 2 rear.

in order to change the color of the bar you have to order whole new boards. then you run the risk of it not being compatable software. its easier to either a: get it right the first time or b: order a new bar when (if ) you have to change colors.

that being said...

the Raydian is a goofy looking bar.

I think he's just looking to change the color of the endcap domes for a more low-profile look while still having a blue lightbar, not to change the color of the entire lightbar.

My personal preference would be to keep the blue end domes, but to each his own.

Yes you can get clear domes, but again the endcaps are a complete segment and not just simple lenses

cory y said:
Yes you can get clear domes, but again the endcaps are a complete segment and not just simple lenses

Yes you can change the endcap lenses. The whole end assembly just slides into the endcap lens. Takes 2 seconds.

Also you may want to see if the ones for sale are the Cuda LED's. Those can be changed to other colors by swapping the individual LED boards.

lite-em-up said:
Yes you can change the endcap lenses. The whole end assembly just slides into the endcap lens. Takes 2 seconds.

Also you may want to see if the ones for sale are the Cuda LED's. Those can be changed to other colors by swapping the individual LED boards.

Ok, yes I was asking two different questions, could the blue endcaps be changed, but also could individual modules be changed say if I wanted to add an amber module to the rear or need to replace one, etc. But thanks for the replies guys!

Is $600 a fair price???

You CAN change out individual modules in a Raydian whether it has Cuda or Solaris modules.

I had a Raydian that was a Cuda version & changed it all over to Solaris.

$600 seems a bit steep; I sold a demo Raydian a few months ago for $450.

You can also put clear endcaps on the bar to replace the colored ones. I do have some used clear endcaps if you're interested.

I'm curious about the pricing. Why does $600 seem high? I've looked at several websites that sell them new and they all seem to be well over $2000, around $2500-2700 with extras.

I wouldn't dump $600 on a loaded Cuda bar even if the car it was bolted to was included in the purchase...

Website pricing for NEW bars with Solaris modules is going to be in a completely different category from used websites like Wiseguys (which tends to be on the very high side of the used equipment market) selling basically the first generation of successful LED lightbar... We're talking apples and freaking mobile home sump pumps - two complete and utterly different items.

Case in point - there was a loaded amber Cuda filled bar on here about 4 months ago that couldn't be practically given away for $200 shipped... And that had an internal Signalmaster controller.

If you're going to spend $600, you can almost buy one of the several Liberties or other similar top shelf bars from one of the members in the FS/FT section of the site.

My agency has the Raydians on most of the patrol cars here, some still have 911ep and a couple of Edge's. Supposedly we got the first Raydians to come out, and we have had several problems with them. Some of the cars have been sitting in the parking garage and one or two modules will come on and flash, even though no one has touched the car in days. Another instance was where a take home car in an officers driveway came on while he was out of state on vacation. Still others will have a single module come on in steady burn mode and the car has to go to the shop for repair... I have to say I am not a fan of the Raydian...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381