Federal Signal Rumbler

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
Do any of you guys have one, or heard one, that you could give a review on. Think it is definately state of art... but how good is it... REALLY??

Am a fan of FS. My first purchases where a PA15A and a VisaTwin when I first joined the fire department back in 1983.

So I always like to cheer them on when they come out with new stuff. Gotta keep up with ALL the big dogs!!

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
The Rumbler is no longer new, but a proven product that has been around for five years. I was one of the first in Tennessee to have one and have been using it now since Summer 2006. It is very beneficial in urban traffic. Our agency has over thirty in service and will continue to add them to cars. I feel that the Rumbler is a better use of $400 extra bucks than adding $400 in extra lights to a cruiser. Installation ranges from advanced difficulty to a real pain in the rear depending on vehicle and system integration. We have seen some issue where the Rumbler's output became garbled at the high end pitch. The fix required an adjustment in some cases and a replacement board in others. First generation systems seemed to be less problematic than the Rumbler2. I do believe FedSig has everything squared away now. Newer speakers are more compact and easier to install/fit.

In short, worth the money. I would not want to again be without one, even if I had to provide it myself.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
WOW!! Didn't realize they'd been out that long. Sweet. I figured they were out for a couple years anyhow. I definately liked what I saw and heard on video. The "customers" as a result of that siren were amazed that they "felt" it like that. Overpowered their stereos according to the video I saw.

But, I don't just go by what I see ... I need to know!! I would want to uplift a unit with this if it is worth a look at.

Thanks for the review!! Would like to hear more from others before I go running after one.

p.s. How bad was it when you were without one... can you give example of what you noticed during a response? Maybe even aquire a video to show a response you did with this siren.

Nov 1, 2010
Mass.
Our new ambulance has one, and some of our town's new police cars have them too.

They make a reasonable difference, especially in tight traffic.

However, none of our trucks or our older ambulance has it, and they seem to move traffic pretty fine.

If the customer has the budget for it and wants it, then I'd say go for it.

But if they don't, I wouldn't call it an absolute necessity by any means.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
Hoser said:
Montgomery Co SO runs them, IMHO they are alright, but I still like the older tone siren better. You can however feel the Bass they put out, seen them responding several times.

Thanks for info.... ROAD TRIP!!

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
All our newer cars are getting them. I think it is neat, but a novelty. I would rather have dual siren speakers on the push bumper, or dual sirens for extra punch.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
MPD 818 said:
All our newer cars are getting them. I think it is neat, but a novelty. I would rather have dual siren speakers on the push bumper, or dual sirens for extra punch.

Let me know what you think after you get them. I am really hearing some good stuff about these.

Thanks!

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
We have dual FS Rumblers set up with our Whelen Dual sirens on our new ambulance. It REALLY makes a difference. Just the other day we were going along with just the siren and there were 5 cars in front of us on a straight stretch not pulling over for us right behind them. We hit the rumbler switch and they instantly pulled over. This is quite common but then again I am in rural VT. Another instance we got stuck behind a dump truck and I don't think he realized we were even there until we hit the rumbler then he pulled right over. In my experience with it, it makes a huge difference for us. People see us sooner and have more time to pull over to the shoulder. I ran it on the interstate a few times just to see, and we were over-driving it so it didn't make a difference.

Nov 1, 2010
Mass.
Our rig has a dual tone/ dual speaker SVP siren with a rumbler, and it's very cool having the rumbler going on wail with a regular yelp over it. Also, the electronic air horn with the rumbler is something else haha

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
The Rumbler rattles my fillings. We've got them in the 2 newest cars, just out these past 2 weeks. Undecided if it's worth the extra $$ and install effort, our traffic here is not insanely heavy, and working nights, not sure I'll get to use it all that much except for 'play'.

It does feel wierd though.

May 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've heard rumblers on local police vehicles, and I much prefer hi-lo air horns that can be heard several blocks away, and I think most drivers know what the rapidly alternating signal means, and I do not refer to an electronic version that interrupts the siren. A Fiamm or Stebel emergency vehicle air horn costs about the same as, or less than a rumbler, and is fairly easy to install, and Fiamm now has a very compact sound unit that replaces trumpets. The compressor is fairly compact, and can be mounted in front of or behind of the radiator.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
Dr. Dennis Stouffer said:
I've heard rumblers on local police vehicles, and I much prefer hi-lo air horns that can be heard several blocks away, and I think most drivers know what the rapidly alternating signal means, and I do not refer to an electronic version that interrupts the siren. A Fiamm or Stebel emergency vehicle air horn costs about the same as, or less than a rumbler, and is fairly easy to install, and Fiamm now has a very compact sound unit that replaces trumpets. The compressor is fairly compact, and can be mounted in front of or behind of the radiator.

Noted!! Thanks Doc! :thumbsup:

May 22, 2010
New York City
all new nypd mared vehicles are being outfitted with them..... so lately i been hearing it alot......and i even drove a 2011 chevy van during the hurricane with a rumbler and let me tell you it works !

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
I was considering getting the rumbler, but it's not a NEED at this point and rather a WANT.

I've never read to deep in about the specs though. Is it a 100 watt speaker by itself that also adds the low frequency tone? I have 2 100 watt speakers in my vehicle now, so how would adding a rumbler change this setup?

And is the howler better or no?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
gman021 said:
I was considering getting the rumbler, but it's not a NEED at this point and rather a WANT.

I've never read to deep in about the specs though. Is it a 100 watt speaker by itself that also adds the low frequency tone? I have 2 100 watt speakers in my vehicle now, so how would adding a rumbler change this setup?

And is the howler better or no?

I believe it would connect to wiring going back to the amp, I don't believe the wattage matters, but I haven't read the manual. Honestly, for $400, I'd probably add 2 more 100 watt speakers and another siren for dual tone. Or, for less than $100, split your speakers, buy another amp, and run dual sirens on 1 speaker apiece.

The Howler is just the Whelen version of the FedSig Rumbler. Same thing, different name and manufacturer.

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think the rumbler is much more practical in a urban enviroment where you have buildings and objects for the sound waves to bounce off of. unlike rural areas where there is nothing to allow the waves to "echo" off of.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
rwo978 said:
I believe it would connect to wiring going back to the amp, I don't believe the wattage matters, but I haven't read the manual. Honestly, for $400, I'd probably add 2 more 100 watt speakers and another siren for dual tone. Or, for less than $100, split your speakers, buy another amp, and run dual sirens on 1 speaker apiece.

The Howler is just the Whelen version of the FedSig Rumbler. Same thing, different name and manufacturer.

Not to come off like a butt, but the OP is looking for informed opinions from those who have actually used the system or at least heard it.

The Rumbler installs by interrupting and then completing the circuit from "normal" siren amp to speaker. It takes the siren signal and then synthesiszes it and amplifies it before sending it to its two lo-freq speakers. Installation is not really hard, but does require a ground activation trigger, power, ground, and running two additional sets of speaker cables. The Rumbler's amp unit will fit into any console plate that would fit one of the older SMC1-SMC5 SignalMaster controllers.

I have spoken to the engineer who designed the Rumbler, Larry Block. Among things we talked about was dual tone sirens (and why FedSig didn't offer any). Larry told me that dual tone sirens, while noisy, were less effective than a single tone because the two tones often "cancelled" each other out (frequencies and such). I am not a sound engineer, but it does make some sense to me. The Rumbler does not stop your normal siren tone from being emitted in full strength from the normal speakers...it is still there and can be heard. The Rumbler just broadens the frequency range.

The Rumbler is a supplemental siren designed to use lo-frequency tones for penetrating into other motor vehicles where ordinary sirens fail. To that end it works. No siren can overcome idiots and people whose heads are up their...rears. For those who may not know, the system was designed at the request of law enforcement, specifically the Florida Highway Patrol. The idea was one of many that came about in a project, overseen by Lt. Jim Wells, which evaluated and selected lighting and sirens for their use.

From the study ( http://www.theiacp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=LV4uUua9uvY%3D&tabid=392 ):

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Audible Warning Devices-

While we were examining the visual warning signals for improvement we also decided to examine the audible signals to determine if there was any way to improve these signals. We had determined from observation on-duty as a siren listener and off-duty as a signal receiver that sirens did not seem to be as effective today as they used to be. It was determined that modern vehicles are much tighter in construction and have improved seals and insulation that effectively blocks more sound transmission than vehicles of even just 10 years ago. We looked into technologies that could make the siren more effective. The first thing we did was examine the frequency (or pitch) of the current siren. We found that the Society of Automotive Engineers requires wail and yelp sirens to be between 650 Hz at the low end to 2000 Hz at the top end. These tones encompass the upper mid-range of human hearing. I was told casually by one expert in the field that this range was chosen due to it being the range of frequency that is best heard by humans and remains the best heard as hearing diminishes with age. However, this does not make it the best frequency to penetrate a well sealed and insulated motor vehicle. Lower frequency sound penetrates solid objects better than higher frequency sound. You have probably seen this demonstrated with “boom box” cars. You hear the low frequency bass and drums long before the vehicle pulls up next to you, but even when the vehicle is next to you, you can not hear the melody or other parts of the music. It is this phenomenon that we desired to exploit with a new siren.

Another important phenomenon of lower frequency sound is that it is not as directional as higher frequencies. The current siren can be pointed in a specific direction and the siren will be significantly louder in that direction than to the sides or rear. The lower the frequency the sound, the less it will tend to adhere to this directional principle. At some point the sound will be almost as loud in all directions. This has significance when looking at intersections. It is difficult for persons to see the patrol car when you are approaching an intersection because you may be blocked by buildings or other vehicles. The siren may be the only warning they can perceive. However, if the main focus of the siren is straight ahead, we are not providing the optimum warning. Theoretically, the low frequency siren should be even more efficient to the side of the patrol vehicle than it is directly to the front.

We next considered the tone or pattern the siren had. Could we develop a pattern that was more conspicuous and noticeable? We contacted four manufacturers of electronic sirens for their input. It was felt that the current siren is so recognizable that it would be difficult to develop anything that was this easily recognized as an emergency vehicle. Eventually we decided that we should leave a primary siren in the vehicle and utilize the low frequency secondary siren as a supplement.

The manufacturers were required to provide sound level measurements on their low frequency sirens in the interior of the patrol vehicle. Federal Signals siren was just over the allowable 8 hour exposure level in the 4 hour OSHA exposure level. Code 3 and Whelen Engineering’s sirens were within the 8 hour level, but very close to the line. At least within our agency, we cannot envision a scenario where officers are exposed to any siren 4 hours or more per day, let alone several days. This did not seem much of a concern. However, since as a group, the manufacturers were concerned about possible long term hearing loss, even given these ratings, the decision was made that these sirens would be utilized only on a temporary basis. They require a separate button to activate and only remain on for 60-90 seconds. This should be sufficient to approach and cross an intersection. The instruction for the sirens should explain their purpose and proper use."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have experienced, as have many here, how ineffective normal sirens are, even at 200 watts. I have been driving and seen an ambulance coming but not heard the siren until it was within 50 yards or less. I have had them pass me when I had my AC at full blast and not heard the siren until they were beside me. The Rumbler was primarily designed for the police market and as such, had to keep a few things in mind: Backwards compatibility, 100/200 speaker systems, available mounting space and so on. The Rumbler and Howler are similar systems, share the same (as far as anyone can tell) speakers, and operate similarly. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are the same and the Howler does have some additional features and differences in wiring. I have installed both and have no real preference, although I feel the Howler *might* be a bit easier to install based on how it can be activated.

Buy one or don't, doesn't matter to me. They are not Kool-Aid, nor are they a panacea. They work for their specific application and I strongly believe they help make me and my co-workers safer on a daily basis. We work in very dense traffic to wide-open rural roads to Interstate to major highways, over 33 square miles of patrol area and 200 miles of roadways. I know that I would rather add $400 to my siren system than add $400 to my lighting system. They simply won't look for you until they hear you.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
C2Installs said:
Not to come off like a butt, but the OP is looking for informed opinions from those who have actually used the system or at least heard it.

Not to come off like an ass, but the OP didn't ask technical questions on how it wired up until way later on. If he really wanted to know, he could have consulted the manual, which I took the few seconds to search and link myself. :thumbsup: I didn't know, so I gave my best guess. Again, if he really wanted to know, consult the manual.

He was originally looking for those who have used it (see below), which if you read above, I said I had. And, I'm not living under a rock; unlike many on the board who have just 'heard of it', I again, have used it. :rolleyes:

FireGuru said:
Do any of you guys have one, or heard one, that you could give a review on. Think it is definately state of art... but how good is it... REALLY?? Am a fan of FS. My first purchases where a PA15A and a VisaTwin when I first joined the fire department back in 1983. So I always like to cheer them on when they come out with new stuff. Gotta keep up with ALL the big dogs!!

http://www.fedsig.com/docs/2562420.pdf">Download the file

I still stand by my previous opinion, suggesting dual tone/amps over this. But, this is just my opinion.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Sorry. Bad day. I just don't get the point of posting a "guess" for an answer. Just the LT in me, I suppose. I apologize for missing your earlier post in which you indicated you had used it. Personally I like to contribute useful info to the board and get aggravated with the levels of herp-derp that is often found here. I guess I equated your post with that aggravation. My fault entirely.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I figured it was 'something else'. Bad days, yeah... I know what that's like lately. Hopefully the holiday will be a refreshing break for you. :) Have a great weekend!!

ac316scu

Nov 18, 2010
Westchester NY
The Port Authority at JFK has them. They scare the crap out of you when one of officers pulls behind you without you noticing and hits the rumbler. Definitively effective in my book.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsuarre

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.