Federal Signal Smart Siren SS2000 Wire Guage Recommendation?

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
hitman38367 said:
From what I understand, the backlighting cannot be permanently disabled. The indicator tone can be disabled via the correct programming sequence as specified in the manual. The horn ring function can be activated by a momentary switch. You have to wire the incoming side of the switch to a power source and then wire the outging side of the switch to the white wire designated "horn" on the wiring harness. The wire stated "horn ring" will not be used due to the fact that you are not wired into the actual horn circuit and you don't have to send signal thru it to sound the OEM horn like the Tap II system is designed to do. Be sure to fuse the incoming side as you would any other power feed. For what you have said that you want to do, this is what I know to do to get you there. I am not a professional installer, I am just an old skool shadetree installer that has learned from his mistakes and owns a SS2000. If you cannot get the horn ring function to work after fiddling with it, please save yourself some headache and take it to a licensed, certified pro. I am sure there is someone on this board that is a pro and lives close enough that you can get to help you. Just my $0.02.

Indeed, backlighting can not be dimmed as a setting. If it's that irksome, you'll have to manually dim it each and every time you power the unit up. As far as the horn ring...I will simply echo what we have been saying before, and urge you to find a professional installer to do it right, before you smoke out another unit.

marker227

May 11, 2013
New Jersey
I never fried my first one. The installer did. I finished wiring the second one myself. I will fix the horn loop tomorrow. I figured it out. I need a shop that can program the unit for me.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
marker227 said:
I never fried my first one. The installer did. I finished wiring the second one myself. I will fix the horn loop tomorrow. I figured it out. I need a shop that can program the unit for me.

No you don't.

Well maybe you do.

You are really not listening, are you?

The smart siren is user programmable. The manual walks you through it. What you don't know is that the system had two separate manuals included in the box of each new siren. One is the installation manual, the other is the configuration manual. Find it at FedSig.com, read it, and hopefully you can finally sort things out.

I've programmed enough to do it in my sleep and don't need the guide. I could walk you through it here, but I don't think it would do either of us any good.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
http://www.fedsig.com/docs/255278.pdf

Unplug control head "phone" cable.

Press and hold first button in siren row (standby or reset, the button you've been pressing to dim the unit's display).

Plug control head cable back in while holding above button down.

You are in configuration mode. There will be four siren row buttons lit up. Press first one (Radio, IIRC) and you are now in level one of programming.

To turn off the function active alert beep simply turn off the wail button, which should have been lit up when you entered level one.

All done? Press standby button twice to exit, head will re-boot and that's it.

marker227

May 11, 2013
New Jersey
Maybe, I missed the post, but where did anyone say the system is user programable in this thread? I read this manual and it was saying I need software and hardware to configure it. I did read a lot of the manuals on FedSigs website.

http://www.fedsig.com/docs/2561942.pdf

Apparently, I missed the one you just linked on the bottom. I'm sorry. Thank you for providing it to me.

C2Installs said:
No you don't.

Well maybe you do.

You are really not listening, are you?

The smart siren is user programmable. The manual walks you through it. What you don't know is that the system had two separate manuals included in the box of each new siren. One is the installation manual, the other is the configuration manual. Find it at FedSig.com, read it, and hopefully you can finally sort things out.

I've programmed enough to do it in my sleep and don't need the guide. I could walk you through it here, but I don't think it would do either of us any good.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Abacus said:
46 posts and still counting. Heading towards an elightbars academy award for thread continuation.

Hey, you're the one that bumped a three day old thread... :)

There's nothing wrong with having a good reference thread for others...it's just that in this particular scenario, the OP is most likely going to fry his replacement as well. We're just urging him to rather go to a professional.

marker227

May 11, 2013
New Jersey
I'm a little offended everyone keeps insisting I'm going to fry something. I wired it myself and have done numerous other installs in my vehicle. I'd appreciate it everyone would calm down a little on the subject.

I never wired this type of unit before, but was able to figure it out with little to no problem. If I did the install from the get go, I wouldn't have been on this situation.

Thank you

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Your installer needs to buy you a new siren.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
JohnMarcson said:
Your installer needs to buy you a new siren.

marker227 said:

marker227 said:
I have good news... I called Federal Signal and they said it's a flat rate of $75 or $100 depending on how old it was.. I wish I knew that before I bought another SS. Oh well, I didn't loose any money after I'll sell the one I currently have.

I also talked to the service department and they said 10 gauge is fine for 15 feet.

Waiting on my new unit to arrive now!

Cheers!

So, who bought the new unit?

marker227

May 11, 2013
New Jersey
Just an FYI to anyone looking to send in their SS2000 after their unit was fried from crossing polarity on the wires. Federal Signal will just tell you to buy another one. It's more cost effective to do it that way instead of having them repair it.

All is well with the 2nd SS I purchased. It works well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.