Federal Signal Valor Trouble Shooting

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I am really starting to despise FedSig LED products after dealing with this project. I have a customer that just had to have a Valor on his vehicle despite only having about $1300 to spend on the bar. There was one located NOS Mass SP spec model in 51" we located for his charger. I won't even get into the fact that its almost too big for the car and the modifications we made for it to mount.

The problem I'm having is I can't get it to change patterns per the programming instructions.

I got the flood mode to work finally but now he also wants use of left and right alley lights alone.

The biggest problem is we have an intermittent issue where the left alley light is coming on when various functions are discontinued on the bar. The left alley light wire is not touching anything. To me it looks like it is doing some sort of test. This only happens sometimes and the ONLY way to get it to stop is to disconnect the CAT5 and control wire connectors from the breakout box for a moment and plug it in.

The left alley light will randomly come on at times without anything being activated as well. Additionally, sometimes when functions are turned off they will still stay on. The only way to get them to stop is to once again disconnect the breakout box. Even then the patterns are still staying on for a few seconds afterward.

Anyone have any ideas on this thing?

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I wasn't aware that MSP was using the Valor, but if it was an actual MSP spec then the patterns/programming are probably not like normal bars and may not even be changeable.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Well this is NOS so I'm guessing this bar is a few years old. I might be wrong on that aspect but I know the origins and Ithought it was originally listed on this site as that.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I would reach out to FedSig with the serial number and see what they say.

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
IIRC, some of the earlier models were quirky, you could program to use Left/Right OR Flood but not both. And like John said, it may be customized for the original user. Tech Support should be able to help - maybe see if any upgrades are available for the breakout box.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Depending on how old you could be experiencing some firmware issues, and believe me there were quite a few. I would check on getting a new control board for the bar if you can't get the erratic behavior to stop. But first off, try resetting the control board via the instructions here. http://www.fedsig.com/docs/25500038.pdf

How are you attempting to change the patterns via the mode wires, dip switch on, white button, etc? Is it scrolling through patterns and just not retaining them or not scrolling through?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
So for no apparent reason it started acting fine. Still didn't want to take pattern changes and store them but it did after I did the reset of the control board.

Yes, we were using the dip switch and white button. Why are companies still using this type of technology?

The bar is on the car, the customer is happy. I like the look of the bar, hate the electrical engineering behind it.

Reactions: Tony P

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
So for no apparent reason it started acting fine. Still didn't want to take pattern changes and store them but it did after I did the reset of the control board.

Yes, we were using the dip switch and white button. Why are companies still using this type of technology?

The bar is on the car, the customer is happy. I like the look of the bar, hate the electrical engineering behind it.

Most people aren't using the interface module anymore. It was pretty popular before the SmartSiren Platinum came out, but was a huge PITA. Now most of us use the Platinum and just program the lightbar with the software.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Most people aren't using the interface module anymore. It was pretty popular before the SmartSiren Platinum came out, but was a huge PITA. Now most of us use the Platinum and just program the lightbar with the software.
I figured that would have made it easier but he didn't have the budget to do the SSP and wanted bluetooth capability. It's just a product demonstration vehicle for a wheel lock company but he was set on the valor.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.