Feniex Cannon: Spit Colors, Using White For Scene Lights

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
This might sound like a dumb question but does a split cannon provide enough light as fog lights or reverse light? I know the dual color capability is quite nice but does it actually perform well with half of the LEDs in white as an actual fog light? or would I need to buy a solid white cannon and use that as a fog light?

If you have a video comparing a split (red/white, blue white, amber/white) cannon to a solid white cannon that would be great!

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
JohnFireFan said:
This might sound like a dumb question but does a split cannon provide enough light as fog lights or reverse light? I know the dual color capability is quite nice but does it actually perform well with half of the LEDs in white as an actual fog light? or would I need to buy a solid white cannon and use that as a fog light?

This has been discussed many times here. Long story short, for steady burn applications you can't use a solid color cannon for more than a few seconds, because if you steady burn all 12 led's they switch to 6 after a few seconds to keep from overheating.

6 LED's is brighter than any stock reverse lights I've seen.

I wouldn't recommend them as fog light replacements, not because of brightness, but due to the way the light is focused. Fog light reflectors are specifically designed for focusing the stock bulb into a beam to help you see, and not blind other drivers. When you put a HAW or LAW into that housing, regardless if you drill a separate hole or use the stock bulb hole, the replacement doesn't use the reflector the same way. You will get a much wider spread of light that is great for people to see you, but not so great for illumination.

I have B/W cannons in my reverse lights and a set surface mounted on the inside of my toolbox lid.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_04_13_ujedezuq.jpg

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
My '12 F250 Super Duty with Cannons in place of reverse lights, 6 LED's white for reverse:

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

They're at least two to three times brighter than factory stock bulbs. If you want a comparison, the two tiny white lights in the cargo lights above the bed are the same bulbs as the factory stock reverse lights. I took the pic standing back by the boat.

(I have posted these pics before and discussed this install. Perhaps you can use the search function and read more about it.)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
They have been very popular around here as reverse light replacements. We even have a car dealership buying them now as an added feature.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
I have a pair of cannons in my cargo lights which we also use as rear lighting for loading equipment up in both the trailer and bed. Works perfectly, and no need to fumble around with flashlights...

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
In my old truck I had solid red in brake and solid white I had them flashing like a TLF but the solid white would also be my reverse lights. When you put the 12 leds to steady burn they heat up quick and shut down to 6 leds. If I do it again in my new truck I will do splits.

I am not a big fan of night videos. But this video (refection) will show how much ground a solid led can cover.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.