Feniex Cannon surface mounting question

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
I recently came across a really cheap set of used Cannons with bezels, and I was considering mounting them on the sides of my toolboxes near the rear of my truck for some added side-facing white light. This may sound like a stupid question, but do you have to drill a hole big enough for the flasher to fit through? I've seen many people surface mounting the Cannons, and surely not everyone is drilling that large of a hole in their fenders, bumpers, etc? I plan to flash everything off of a ULF44, so they don't need the flasher. Can the flasher be cut off of the Cannons and the unit still function steady burn, or is the flasher required? If so, can the flasher be taken apart and the wire disconnected for installation then reinstalled?

I'm not going to drill holes that big in brand new tool boxes, so if it can't be done, no big deal, I'm just going to scrap the extra white lighting and use the Linz6's that I have.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Fighting17th said:
I recently came across a really cheap set of used Cannons with bezels, and I was considering mounting them on the sides of my toolboxes near the rear of my truck for some added side-facing white light. This may sound like a stupid question, but do you have to drill a hole big enough for the flasher to fit through? I've seen many people surface mounting the Cannons, and surely not everyone is drilling that large of a hole in their fenders, bumpers, etc? I plan to flash everything off of a ULF44, so they don't need the flasher. Can the flasher be cut off of the Cannons and the unit still function steady burn, or is the flasher required? If so, can the flasher be taken apart and the wire disconnected for installation then reinstalled?

I'm not going to drill holes that big in brand new tool boxes, so if it can't be done, no big deal, I'm just going to scrap the extra white lighting and use the Linz6's that I have.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I believe the flasher is required but the wires from the lighthead to the flasher can be cut and reconnected. I bet FEVER or another Feniex dealer will pop in soon with a better/more accurate answer.

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
foxtrot5 said:
I believe the flasher is required but the wires from the lighthead to the flasher can be cut and reconnected. I bet FEVER or another Feniex dealer will pop in soon with a better/more accurate answer.

I installed a set of Cannons a few weeks ago using the flange in a front grill, if I remember right the light should fit in the housing and not need a hole. You can cut the wire from the light to the flasher, run that through a smaller hole, then reconnect (color coded) on the other side.

Take a look at the light, if the Cannon fits inside the flange, you should be good to go.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
ctmcdonell said:
I installed a set of Cannons a few weeks ago using the flange in a front grill, if I remember right the light should fit in the housing and not need a hole. You can cut the wire from the light to the flasher, run that through a smaller hole, then reconnect (color coded) on the other side.

Take a look at the light, if the Cannon fits inside the flange, you should be good to go.

Thanks! I know the actual light will fit within the flange and doesn't need a hole to actually be mounted. I was just talking about fishing the wire through the hole. As long as I know I'm not gonna mess anything up, and the wires can be easily reconnected if I cut the wire between the lighthead and the flasher, then I think that answers my question.

Aug 24, 2013
tennesse
As for cutting the wire I am not 100% sure how this would affect the warranty on them with doing this but can be done. I don't recommend trying to take the flasher apart due to it being sealed. I am a master distributor for feniex but fever may can give you a little more insight about cutting the wires and there warranty if they will cover it or not or I can find out Monday morning for you when they reopen.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
With this discussion, for the ones that have done this before. How many wires are in the harness between the flasher and the light head? Seems like there should be just 3,maybe 4 wires. Since this won't mess with the warranty, this might be a better option for my next install with Cannons.

Jordan,TCFD

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
Jordan said:
With this discussion, for the ones that have done this before. How many wires are in the harness between the flasher and the light head? Seems like there should be just 3,maybe 4 wires. Since this won't mess with the warranty, this might be a better option for my next install with Cannons.

Jordan,TCFD

if i remember correctly i think 3. 2 channels and ground

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Kd8bao said:
if i remember correctly i think 3. 2 channels and ground

correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Ok thanks everyone, that helps a lot! I picked up 2 Cannons for $65 shipped, so I'm not that worried about the warranty, but it's nice to know that they would probably still honor the warranty as long as I do it professionally (which I would anyway).

bburnette252

Aug 19, 2013
TN
FEVER said:

Not that this affects your install because you said you didn't care, but I contacted feniex for my own install and they said that cutting the wire would void the warranty.

bburnette252

Aug 19, 2013
TN
Fighting17th said:
Ok thanks everyone, that helps a lot! I picked up 2 Cannons for $65 shipped, so I'm not that worried about the warranty, but it's nice to know that they would probably still honor the warranty as long as I do it professionally (which I would anyway).

Not that this affects your install because you said you didn't care, but I contacted feniex for my own install and they said that cutting the wire would void the warranty.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
bburnette252 said:
This creates a bit of a catch-22 situation. They market the Cannons with a surface mount flange, but void the warranty if you cut and splice the wires to actually do a surface mount. Hmmmmm????? Fever or any other dealer want to chime in here????

I wonder why they don't have inline connectors on the cable between the flasher and the lighthead so that you could do a surface mount without affecting the warranty.

Unless Fenix can come up with an acceptable way to do this, surface mount option should not be listed as a feature of this product!!!!!!! I'd call that deceptive advertising.

(I have a pair of cannons in my truck's reverse fixtures and absolutely love them. Not dissing the product here, but the surface mounting claim.)

bburnette252

Aug 19, 2013
TN
Steve0625 said:
This creates a bit of a catch-22 situation. They market the Cannons with a surface mount flange, but void the warranty if you cut and splice the wires to actually do a surface mount. Hmmmmm????? Fever or any other dealer want to chime in here????

I wonder why they don't have inline connectors on the cable between the flasher and the lighthead so that you could do a surface mount without affecting the warranty.

Unless Fenix can come up with an acceptable way to do this, surface mount option should not be listed as a feature of this product!!!!!!! I'd call that deceptive advertising.

(I have a pair of cannons in my truck's reverse fixtures and absolutely love them. Not dissing the product here, but the surface mounting claim.)

I hope they do chime in because I am about to do this install but I'd rather not void my warranty while doing so

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Steve0625 said:

You can do a surface mount. You just need to drill a 1inch whole for the inline flasher to pass through. This is no different than most LED Hide-a-way units on the market.

When these were first launched, we were told there is an option to have connectors built on in-line for an additional charge and/or lead time delay. I've sold several hundred and had no series inquiries about this feature. I've given the option to those who asked about it. But simply explained they could still surface mount it by drilling the hole to pass the flasher through.

As states above, you can surface mount them. It just appears as though it is not how you imagined. I personally hate the idea of surface mounting any LAWs but I've had to do it on one vehicle and wasn't an issue at all. How many countless installs do we see here being posted (and mock) that have 8 cannons surface mounted all throughout the vehicle? I'd bet that they were not cut or special ordered. It's the nature of the beast.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
FEVER said:
You can do a surface mount. You just need to drill a 1inch whole for the inline flasher to pass through. This is no different than most LED Hide-a-way units on the market.

As states above, you can surface mount them. It just appears as though it is not how you imagined. I personally hate the idea of surface mounting any LAWs but I've had to do it on one vehicle and wasn't an issue at all. How many countless installs do we see here being posted (and mock) that have 8 cannons surface mounted all throughout the vehicle? I'd bet that they were not cut or special ordered. It's the nature of the beast.
Fair explanation, Nic, and I appreciate it. It still rubs me that I'd have to drill a 1" hole when a 3/8" or so would do, especially if it's a fender or similar body location. I'd have much fewer concerns if the install was a tool box, grille, or other location like that. But I can live with it. Thanks!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Flashguy said:
Quick question (IF you do surface mount)...Are the solid color Cannon's brighter than split in warning mode? Meaning, a W/W one would be brighter than R/W?

split colors are never as bright as solid no matter what the product is.

Steve0625 said:
Fair explanation, Nic, and I appreciate it. It still rubs me that I'd have to drill a 1" hole when a 3/8" or so would do, especially if it's a fender or similar body location. I'd have much fewer concerns if the install was a tool box, grille, or other location like that. But I can live with it. Thanks!

Most people fender mounting them will already have three holes in the fender. Additionally, to properly pass through a wire of any size you should give it significant room 1/4'' - 1/2'' with a grommet to safely do it. Going to 1'' to most that are surface mounting in those locations are not a big deal when you already have those three holes involved. This is the biggest reason why i hate surface mounting anything to body panels.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helmi

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.