Feniex Mini-Apollo

Nick@Feniex

Dec 23, 2010
Texas
OutletPSE said:
Based upon our talks with Tomar, I understand why you mention them. However, if you compare Star/SVP products to that of Whelen, Code 3, and Federal Signal then I'm not sure I see the validity in your statement. Take the DLX6 SVP DLX6 Versa Star LightheadVs Ion SIRENNET.COM - Whelen ION Series Super-LED Light. We commonly sell the DLX6 for a $4.00 under the Ion. Additionally we often run sales on them to lower the price point.

The problem you run into is that you often have greedy dealers or dealers that have more loyalty to other brands. Often times those other brands put pressure on the dealers to show their brand in a better light. Take Sirennet for instance, we all know they are one of the leading sellers in Whelen Equipment. We never see them mention or feature anything from SVP do we? Did you even know they carried it? Well they do. SIRENNET.COM - Star/SVP VersaStar DLX6 LED Warning Light

While researching brands, we often noticed this was an issue.

Granted, some of our SVP prices on our site are currently higher than they were, but we are still recovering from an ELB Member impersonating Star personnel via e-mail into forcing our prices higher to be inline with his. We hope to have all our prices restored shortly and then you can truly see what a great value the Star/SVP line-up truly is. They are also a great family oriented company.

The biggest issue with companies like Star/SVP and Tomar is they don't get their information out there. Feniex is also a great company but they have a ton of chatter. I believe Mr.Marcson has even made very informative post as to the rate each manufactured is mentioned. Feniex has a very sexy line-up and were very cleverly brought into the market place which is probably one of the reasons they get mentioned so much here on ELB.

It does seem to amaze me though how much manufacturers can be like politicians in the midst of a political campaign though. The references above of calling Taiwan while a rep for a manufacturer kind of prove that.

As far as Code 3 goes, it has been proven that they have had products made overseas. So what? The overwhelming majority of their products are American Made. They have never hidden that they were foreign built as they have properly labeled each product made overseas. We do not sell Code 3 products and quite frankly, I'm not sure if I like their products or not but I'm not sure why people try to make it seem as though they are lying. This is not like Led Outfitters/Damega with misleading advertising that you are purchasing products "Proudly made in the USA". Not to mention the company itself is American owned.

As far as these bars go, they will probably grow on people as we get accustomed to them. New isn't always accepted at first. Time will tell. It is getting very hard for companies to come up with anything new anymore. Good luck to Code 3 with their new bar.

Outlet PSE,

You make a good point at the end about how "new" isn't always accepted at first. This is the fundamental hurdle we face at Feniex in new product design. Lets take our new mini lightbar for example (soon to be called the Apollo Mini).

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

We drew up 100 different radical designs of how we wanted this mini lightbar to look. At the end we collectively felt its best to stick with current modern design trends (with slight adjustment) and improve on technology. We tried to keep the aesthetic look market acceptable however improved on light performance (brightness, spread, multicolor, ext.) Features greatly missing in current mini lightbars.

I guess my question to you and everyone else is, do you feel its best to focus more on the "technology" for new product developments, or put a heavier emphasis on "industrial design".

-Nick (mechanical engineer)
3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
You will always have people resistant to change. As far as the code 3 bar... I'm not sure... initially I didnt like it.. but I havnt seen the bar in person. It could grow on me.

I like new designs. I understand where you are coming from though with making something look somewhat similar to stuff that is accepted in the market place

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
To prevent a thread hijack on the original topic, the post made by Feniex was made into it's own thread, seperate from the Code 3 Innovations thread

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Looks like a lot of LED lightbars these days. Why? Because it's a proven design.

Looks like I may be getting a minibar and selling off my interior. Looks great to me.

slash9dotnet

Feb 2, 2012
Conneaut, Ohio
I like it. I also like new designs, but you need to do what's most comfortable sometimes. I'm excited to see the new Apollo lightheads (have kinda' been holding off for the exterior versions), but I simply might not be able to wait.

The only gripe I have with any Feniex products is the fact that if I "alternate" split-head LED's, they don't actually alternate colors of each split of each module. That, to me, is a major bummer.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
It would be great if Feniex would incorporate the dual mode control technology that is present in the Cannon Series into the Apollo Series. Especially for dual color products.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Sweet, I love when you guys show us new toys. More products to show case for my customers.

I cant wait for the larger perimeter lights to come out.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
badge22 said:
It would be great if Feniex would incorporate the dual mode control technology that is present in the Cannon Series into the Apollo Series. Especially for dual color products.

They do....

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
SireLite said:
I like it, Why not add suction magnets to it so it will stay solid on a vehicle at high speeds. A lot of bars like to fly at speeds and most manufacturers say don't use them when driving which totally defeats the purpose.

Those aren't a guarantee either. My asst. chief lost his mini bar, which had some fairly good suction magnets, while just going 45 mph around 4 months ago.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
A lot depends on location of the bar on the roof. I have my cobra mini towards the back off the roof and been at 90+ mph and never had any issues. Just my $0.02

Also had a customer with suction cup magnets have it fly off driving on surface streets

Nick@Feniex

Dec 23, 2010
Texas
SireLite said:
I like it, Why not add suction magnets to it so it will stay solid on a vehicle at high speeds. A lot of bars like to fly at speeds and most manufacturers say don't use them when driving which totally defeats the purpose.

Sirelite,

Suction cups are a joke in the mechanical world. We always try to design for high repeatability (in this case, magnets with a set measured force). See my attached drawing. We designed in a solid magnet with a 95lb hold (380lbs total). Our competitor bars that flew off cars are due to a mechanical engineers falling asleep on the job, or a purchasing manager that ordered the wrong parts :)

Few more things to keep in mind: The total amount of force really needed to hold down a mini 14" bar is about 120Lbs. The cobra mini uses a 35lb hold magnet (140lbs total). The reason I went with the larger 95lb hold is because we will be providing a rubber sleeve for the magnets to prevent scratches on the hood of a car. The sleeve take away about 50% of the over all strength, putting us at around 47lbs (188lbs total)

mag.jpg

Hope that helps clear up the mini bars flying off cars concern.... now let me go prep my boss on this elightbars post before I get fired for providing engineering information...

-Nick

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Feniex said:
Few more things to keep in mind: The total amount of force really needed to hold down a mini 14" bar is about 120Lbs. The cobra mini uses a 35lb hold magnet (140lbs total). The reason I went with the larger 95lb hold is because we will be providing a rubber sleeve for the magnets to prevent scratches on the hood of a car. The sleeve take away about 50% of the over all strength, putting us at around 47lbs (188lbs total)

Informative post!

Question: I thought magnets needed a thick steel surface to reach their rated hold. Do you need to derate them for thin sheet metal?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nick,

Is there an updated release date for these bars?

Also, I heard a while ago that you guys are working on releasing an exterior mount Apollo...is that anytime soon?

Thanks

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
ful-vue said:
Any news?

You will get several predictions or "i heard" statements from various members. The only way to know for sure is when they say for sure its available and on the market. Engineering, tooling, testing, adjustments, testing, and then production takes considerable time. Often time estimated release dates from manufacturers get pushed back.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
FEVER said:
You will get several predictions or "i heard" statements from various members. The only way to know for sure is when they say for sure its available and on the market. Engineering, tooling, testing, adjustments, testing, and then production takes considerable time. Often time estimated release dates from manufacturers get pushed back.

.... well... that's NOT what I HEARD! :crazy:

ful-vue

Aug 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
I was hoping Nick@Feniex might be able to give us an idea of where it stood in the development cycle. However his profile shows last activity back on 12/25, so I guess that's not too likely.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.