Feniex Products (looking for advice)

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello folks. I'm currently running a Feniex 4X on my truck and I'm looking for a few tips/advice.

I'm debating on selling my current 4X and installing an interior lightbar, or getting an additional 4X and mounting one under each sun visor. Anybody who suggests mounting them under the sun visor, please let me know your suggestion on how you would do it.

As far as the interior lightbar goes, I'm between a Feniex Pegasus and a Start Split phantom. Both have vehicle specific mounts for my F-150. The pros for each that I see are as follows.

Feniex Pegasus:

-Brighter

-More of a custom fit for the truck

-Easily customizable with the option of 2 or 4 takedowns

-Wider variety and more effective flash patterns?

Star Split Phantom:

-Thin and well hidden

-The angled LED's for intersection clearing

What are your opinions and if you have any videos or pictures related to these lights, or installs, please let me know.

Thanks!

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
I would say stick to the dash lights unless you really need takedowns. Just keep the 4x and Center it, then get a pair of sound off intersectors for your mirrors or wherever etc...

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
I'm gonna vote Feniex on the interior bar. Yesterday I installed a slit Phantom in a new Tahoe. I was less than impressed with construction, fit, and bracketry. Despite having a vehicle specific mount, I had plenty of trouble getting things to line up, had to bent the mounting tabs significantly to adjust the angle, and the headliner fit was not great, allowing for flashback from the top. I tweaked things for over an hour before saying screw it. Really irritating.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
C2Installs said:
I'm gonna vote Feniex on the interior bar. Yesterday I installed a slit Phantom in a new Tahoe. I was less than impressed with construction, fit, and bracketry. Despite having a vehicle specific mount, I had plenty of trouble getting things to line up, had to bent the mounting tabs significantly to adjust the angle, and the headliner fit was not great, allowing for flashback from the top. I tweaked things for over an hour before saying screw it. Really irritating.

Doesn't it make you ask yourself, "Why have a vehicle specific product if you still have to modify it?" lol :rolleyes:

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The lights are/will be green, and the interior bar would be it for forward facing. Unfortunately, our odd policy is interior applications only (I'm hoping that changes soon). So a Feniex 800 in the rear window, feniex 100 or 200 for the side rear windows and, what comes of this topic for the front.

fier23

Feb 26, 2012
Kansas City MO
NERT11 said:
Hello folks. I'm currently running a Feniex 4X on my truck and I'm looking for a few tips/advice.

I'm debating on selling my current 4X and installing an interior lightbar, or getting an additional 4X and mounting one under each sun visor. Anybody who suggests mounting them under the sun visor, please let me know your suggestion on how you would do it.

As far as the interior lightbar goes, I'm between a Feniex Pegasus and a Start Split phantom. Both have vehicle specific mounts for my F-150. The pros for each that I see are as follows.

Feniex Pegasus:

-Brighter

-More of a custom fit for the truck

-Easily customizable with the option of 2 or 4 takedowns

-Wider variety and more effective flash patterns?

Star Split Phantom:

-Thin and well hidden

-The angled LED's for intersection clearing

What are your opinions and if you have any videos or pictures related to these lights, or installs, please let me know.

Thanks!

The Feniex is great don't get me wrong as we are a Feniex dealer. The biggest problem I have with the pegasus as I have had endless tech talks with them about the problem is they lower the wattage output on the bar down so much the 35 degree optix almost looks dim compared to the python series 6-head and below. I sell ONLY 20 degree reflectors in all my bar because it is so much brighter. We were the first company to ask for the entire bars that way and is now catching on. Once you see them side by side yourself you will not look back. We have a Python 1000 with mixed optics and it is absolutley shameful and embrassing what they produce in the 35 degree optic big bars.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
so you are essentially saying two smaller feniex lights are better than one larger one?

fier23

Feb 26, 2012
Kansas City MO
ar6423 said:
so you are essentially saying two smaller feniex lights are better than one larger one?

No, the big bars are great but only with 20 degree optics to us. If you look at our videos my Ram truck has all 20's. The crown Victoria has all 35 with exception of the 20 takedowns. It's night and day.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
fier23 said:
The Feniex is great don't get me wrong as we are a Feniex dealer. The biggest problem I have with the pegasus as I have had endless tech talks with them about the problem is they lower the wattage output on the bar down so much the 35 degree optix almost looks dim compared to the python series 6-head and below. I sell ONLY 20 degree reflectors in all my bar because it is so much brighter. We were the first company to ask for the entire bars that way and is now catching on. Once you see them side by side yourself you will not look back. We have a Python 1000 with mixed optics and it is absolutley shameful and embrassing what they produce in the 35 degree optic big bars.

Does Feniex make you pay extra for all 20 degree optics?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
fier23 said:
No, the big bars are great but only with 20 degree optics to us. If you look at our videos my Ram truck has all 20's. The crown Victoria has all 35 with exception of the 20 takedowns. It's night and day.

ah... i see exactly what you are saying.... damn I wonder what I have on mine. lol Might have to sell it and trade out.

I have the same question as Tom though..

ar6423 said:
ah... i see exactly what you are saying.... damn I wonder what I have on mine. lol Might have to sell it and trade out.

I have the same question as Tom though..

The 20 degree optics dont have the ripple looking defuser lenses, they are almost completely clear so you can see the diodes. If you have the ripples they could be the big ripples (older) or the small ripples (newer).

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
kenton1979 said:
The 20 degree optics dont have the ripple looking defuser lenses, they are almost completely clear so you can see the diodes. If you have the ripples they could be the big ripples (older) or the small ripples (newer).

thanks.. my four take downs don't have the ripple.... my others have smaller ripples.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My question from another thread was weather it would be beneficial to upgrade my current 4X to a 600... As unlisted mentioned, it is not law to pull over for green lights in Ontario, however, cars impact just as hard, fire's burn just as hot and peoples hearts stop just as fast in my town as they do in an area serviced by a full time fire department (My station runs up to 500 calls annually) I do notice a difference in response time to the station when using the light. What I'm looking in to is if additional heads in a bar would attract more attention, and perhaps encourage people to move over. It also has a traffic adviser function which could prove to be useful

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
As already mentioned its a courtesy light. Sure more lightheads equal more light. - but from my experience as a vff its not the amount of light that is the issue- its education of the masses of drivers who don't have a clue. Case in point. I was following a rehab truck fully marked with a full green lightbar, wig wags hlf, and grille lights. Even the front body and hood had fire dept in mirror image. A car would not yield at all- simply because the driver didn't know what green meant.

I've also had this issue in my personal vehicle. I used to have a full interior green bar but got rid of it for a dual led dashlight. More just confuses people. I also find suburbs = drivers with 0 clue. Go rural, people know.

I have no idea why you would want a green traffic advisor facing forward. You should always be facing the flow of.traffic. You are not a ev responsible for blocking lanes, and even if you do, park in the direction of traffic. Personally I would recommend keeping what you have to the front and purchase a amber traffic bar for the rear. I used to have a amber ta to the rear.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
id go with the new starburst phantom interior bar. the new starburst heads are very bright(i have 2 of the mini phantoms) and also u get the angled and u can have takedowns and also a 30 sec high power burst mode with the star bar kinda like a 8-10 head takedown. check it out its def well worth it

bkn74

Sep 7, 2010
metropolis IL
I noticed you said interior and green. Can you run wig wags? Flashing headlights have a major impact on catching attention.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
wig wags or any other color not permitted. Technically cannot even run clear with green.

I agree with the original posters frustration of response times and lack of drivers getting out of the way - I've been dealing with the exact same issue since the early 2000's. Sadly with Ontario law we have the same "authority" as amber. Drivers do not legally have to yield nor are we permitted to break any traffic laws or proceed through red lights.

I just dont want the op to spend additional money on a moot point- he/she already has a pretty elaborate setup- most vff's only run with a single cheap dashlight. The only time I've ever seen green "overkill" is for over eager vff's or Toronto hatzolah.... But they are a special bunch with excessive lighting.

Heck I still get overkill comments since I have a dual led dashlight.

OP, what region are you a vff for?

Ren12

Jun 13, 2012
SE Pennsylvania
unlisted said:
As already mentioned its a courtesy light. Sure more lightheads equal more light. - but from my experience as a vff its not the amount of light that is the issue- its education of the masses of drivers who don't have a clue...A car would not yield at all- simply because the driver didn't know what green meant.

I've also had this issue in my personal vehicle. I used to have a full interior green bar but got rid of it for a dual led dashlight. More just confuses people...

I have no idea why you would want a green traffic advisor facing forward. You should always be facing the flow of.traffic. You are not a ev responsible for blocking lanes, and even if you do, park in the direction of traffic. Personally I would recommend keeping what you have to the front and purchase a amber traffic bar for the rear. I used to have a amber ta to the rear.

unlisted said:
...I agree with the original posters frustration of response times and lack of drivers getting out of the way - I've been dealing with the exact same issue since the early 2000's. Sadly with Ontario law we have the same "authority" as amber. Drivers do not legally have to yield nor are we permitted to break any traffic laws or proceed through red lights.

I just dont want the op to spend additional money on a moot point- he/she already has a pretty elaborate setup- most vff's only run with a single cheap dashlight.

I agree with unlisted in that increasing your lighting output, whether it be a Feniex Pegasus or Star/SVP split-phantom, is not necessarily going to bring you any added benefit. Green is a tough color to be required to run, and the public's confusion and lack of knowledge regarding their response to a vehicle with green lights is not surprising at all.

It sounds like your setup is more than adequate considering the laws and regulations you have to follow. Throwing more $$ at additional lighting would be a waste in my opinion. The Python 4x is a very capable light for your application and I'd stick with it. Ultimately it comes down to the restriction of using a green lightbar not additional lights to decrease your response time

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ok, thanks for the tips and suggestions folks. I have seen a few people from Pelham and Wainfleet that use green and white. The way it was explained to me was, there are no laws that give a purpose to white, so even though there is nothing saying volunteer firefighters can use white lights, there is nothing that says they cant. I don't use them personally. I think it might be a little more effective, but I'm not concerned. The 4X does do a good job, I was just considering change. Sell one and get something new, but like you said, there really is no reason.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
NERT11 said:
(For a non-fire related purpose) Do the Feniex Fairys include the weather tight gasket when you purchase them?

The lights themselves are waterproof. The surface mount flanges can be included for free with your order.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I only ask since u mentionEd the flanges.. If you can use a larger lighthearted (ie: tie 3, etc) id go that way... Larger footprint = more noticeable.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
NERT11 said:
Sorry, not the flanges, what I meant was the rubber/foam gasket to weatherproof the headlight housing when mounting the fairy's into them
For Canadian use id recommend picking up clear silicone (bathroom/kitchen type) and running a bead around the base of the lighthead. Those foam gaskets break down really quickly with Canadian weather. It's easy to remove as well without leaving residue.

never had an issue with water /condensation, had a pair of led HAW's mounted that way for over 4 years now. just be generous with the silicone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.