Feniex Storm PRO Siren and Typhoon Speaker

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Tone is at :10 and :20 I guarantee you this will sell some sirens.

Bawahahaha I remember doing that in my very first patrol car. I always tried to keep it there to be different but it was next to impossible.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
I know. Had a car at the academy that had one. I love the wail and yelp too.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Wail

Yelp

Phaser

Warble

Whoop

Powercall intersection tone

Manual rise and stop

Manual rise and fall

Air horn

Wail yelp phaser

Tuchmaster delta sweep tones

I can't think of any more right now

proled

Sep 8, 2010
Belgium
I'm going to step in here with a slight complaint. Here in europe we use Wail, Yelp and Hilo, But by going with what the manual says we only can have Wail or HiLo. not both. I'm suprised that you didn't make phaser switchable with HiLo as phaser isn't used here.

I've also found with the old storm that everyone bought it because it had the mech tone. Why remove it now?
They don't sell in Europe much, so pointless for them to do it

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Based on this feedback we will probably be adding in a handful of tones in the next production cycle. We will change the jumper pin selection to a surface mount tack switch that allows you to select from a large amount of tones. (similar to selecting a flash pattern on a lightbar) We can pack up to 20 different tones this way but remember this system only has a total of 4 programmable outputs. That beings said, please provide a list of all the tones you guys would like to see, please don’t leave out any tones because I can assure you we probably won’t have another firmware revision for a long time. I’ll kick start it:

1-Wail

2-Yelp

3-Fast Yelp

4-Phaser

5-Horn Low

6-Horn High

7-Hi-Lo

8-Manual Wail

9-Mechanical Simulation

If you dont know the name of a tone just send us a video link. We can pull the audio frequncy from a video.
Mimicking the tones of the Whelen 295SLS sirens would be great.

1. Wail

2. Yelp

3. Phaser

4. Airhorn

5. Hi/low

6. Powercall

7. Mechanical

8. Alt wail

9. Alt yelp

10. Manual wail

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
Whelen's MagnaPulse tone was unique (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jTg274S36s). Unitrol's Ultra Hi-Lo tone is terrific as well.

If Feniex is planning an expansion into the European market, it'd definitely behooves them to include the variety of Hi-Lo tones prevalent there. Is this siren's primary tone programmable? If so, the European market may select a Hi-Lo tone as the primary feature, whereas the American market would (most likely) select a Wail tone.

I'm surprised no one requested the Ecto siren tone from "Ghostbusters"!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Ecto would be a great tone. I'm still saying the engineers should come up with a way to toss oodles (50-100?) various tones into the siren amp, and have them selectable via software like whelen does with some of their sirens. That way you guys could sell pretty much any tone to all clients, and the client can select which ones to activate.

...Or maybe that should be the third siren revision. ;)

Reactions: Nathan R

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
There may or may not have been several people on here who have used a P/A to play the ecto siren as a "siren"   It is pretty epic. Powercall Sirens LLC could never get it to the market though. 

Key thing with the ecto is the ramp up and ramp down. 

I'm really surprised no one mentioned this 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MarchHare94
I like the idea of having all four outputs be selectable from a list of the same 20 tones.  Similar to how you program a 3 mode cannon.  This would allow someone to set their own priority tones to override.  Keep up the great work on the innovation and the lead times right now are AMAZING!

Reactions: MEVS06
Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
The Mechanical option is a big bonus for fire / ems customers that don't want to pay an arm and a leg for an EQ2B.

Just a suggestion, have a Mechanical input that would do the automatic windup and down for the mechanical siren... but perhaps an alternative to have it wind up as long as I'm applying voltage to that input, then when I release, it winds down.    The cold stop of the mechanical is the only disadvantage that the original Storm had.

If a customer wants Mechanical, they need a good solid horn sound that doesn't interfere with the wind-up/down of the mechanical sound... and it should sound like it's hitting the brake when you turn off the siren, not just cut off.

Maybe consider a Mechanical Storm and a Pro with the standard tones?  

And... Ecto 1 Siren.   Seriously.  

Reactions: MEVS06

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
The eq2b is the closest thing to a real mechanical the whelen mechanical tone doesn't impress me but federal has a copyright on the sound so there was nothing they could do about it

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Another thing I just thought of that would be sick that really none of the competition offers is something like the sweep on a Unitrol or the Interclear tone on a D&R Electronics siren. The Sheriff's office and my local PD runs these sirens and I've really grown fond of the tones and fine the varying tones very effective. 

It can be heard in the first few seconds of this video. It could be done by cycling the yelp, fast yelp and phaser.

http://youtu.be/m0ezWujOKF0?list=FLuq7-i5dMmqaX1u_JJKBWWg

Also, if the fast yelp could be something similar to this. 

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
What makes the Federal Electric Q the best sounding is because it actually behaves like a real mechanical Q.   When you hit manual, it manually winds up, just like stepping on the floor button would do in a real mechanical siren.   When you turn it off, it actually has a brake sound.     If you can get close, and make it behave like a real mechanical siren does, it will work.

I think what did the Ecto siren in was that Columbia Pictures made that sound and added it in post production and they own the rights to the sound.     Nothing that says you couldn't load the sound on your iPhone and put it into a PA input, just saying, of course.

Reactions: Surgicalcric

Alex@Feniex

Nov 10, 2013
Austin, TX
We will start on this project in about 4 to 5 weeks. In the mean time, please keep the tone request coming! The engineers will attempt to pack every possible tone that you all have mentioned in this form. I think the limitation will come down to the micro processor space, however we can always increase the package size to a larger micro for more space.  

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
What about the ability to RECORD a tone into the siren, like the voice record feature on the Code3? sirens... where it will record a loop of audio and play it over and over... that way, we could just record our own tones (Ecto, powercall, etc.) plug it into the mic port with a cable off my iPhone/iPad and then the siren would save it and loop it to one of the outputs?

Reactions: Alex@Feniex
Alex,

First off I post this with all due respect to you and your staff.  Is it at all possible to send out a handful of these items beta models to a select core group of dealers from different areas to demo and t&e these prior to making a entire production run. Maybe you do this now but it seems like those doing it now have a completely different set of experiences and applications.  I know you cant build to suit everyone but it seems like situations like above could have been fixed prior to production had more skilled professionals had an opportunity to t&e them. 

I know many times some of the large volume dealers may get a hands on with the product but I encourage you to find highly qualified installers and techs to review the features before mass production.  Engineers have different ideas compared to installers, and installers have different ideas when compared to sales guys, you get the idea.

One example that comes to mind was the whole steady burn pattern fiasco.  I believe one of your videos something was said about not understanding why you would want a light head that could both steady burn and run off an external flasher and also have a build in flasher.  The comment was you could just but a dummy head if you wanted to run an external flasher.  From an installation standpoint I could cite many valid reasons to have the option but I could see an engineer or a sales person not understanding the concept. 

A second example is the loss of sync issues that caused a huge change on the light heads.  I noticed it within 20 minutes and found my entire case order had issues staying in sync.  That troubles me is the programming made it through high volume dealers and multiple engineers and staff and nobody noticed.

In closing, please consider a diverse group of trusted people to be allowed to t&e your product and give private reviews prior to wasting money making something that isnt what people want or something that does not function in line with industries standard practices.

Thanks

Kent 

GtownFF

Jan 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Would it be possible for an "Ultra Hi-Lo" siren? like the one from 50 seconds to 52 seconds? 

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Alex,

I think everyone in this forum can agree the Feniex Storm siren "wail" tone is not the best and is used widely by other companies and knockoffs. The success Feniex has had over the past few years in the lighting industry has grown enormous but the sirens have not caught on like should. A nice modern, advanced upgrade would be great for the newer production run of the Feniex Storm siren. Please watch this video and just listen to the huge distinguishing factors between this siren and the current Feniex Storm siren. (http://youtu.be/ibs3ODxZp7k?t=1mThis Whelen Dual Tone Siren is a perfect example of a modern upgrade yet fully functional. The difference is truly night and day.

I love Feniex Industries and have my POV outfitted with nothing but Feniex products, except the siren. The only reason I will not buy the Feniex Storm siren is because the wail tone sounds so bad.

I strongly encourage you to put major pressure on the engineering team to completely discard of the horrible wail tone.

Thanks!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Alex,

I think everyone in this forum can agree the Feniex Storm siren "wail" tone is not the best and is used widely by other companies and knockoffs. The success Feniex has had over the past few years in the lighting industry has grown enormous but the sirens have not caught on like should. A nice modern, advanced upgrade would be great for the newer production run of the Feniex Storm siren. Please watch this video and just listen to the huge distinguishing factors between this siren and the current Feniex Storm siren. (http://youtu.be/ibs3ODxZp7k?t=1mThis Whelen Dual Tone Siren is a perfect example of a modern upgrade yet fully functional. The difference is truly night and day.

I love Feniex Industries and have my POV outfitted with nothing but Feniex products, except the siren. The only reason I will not buy the Feniex Storm siren is because the wail tone sounds so bad.

I strongly encourage you to put major pressure on the engineering team to completely discard of the horrible wail tone.

Thanks!
The problem I have found is that there are major components/tones from each manufacturer out there that I love, and no way to have them all,or combine them without purchasing the different units. If only the actual tones themselves were not proprietary, and someone could purchase a tone, or have the ability (as others have said) to upload them to a central siren unit, or if they came preloaded and could be chosen/setup via computer (as others have said) I think the possibilities would be endless.

This is no personal knock on Feniex, just a comparison.

With any company that is not one of "the Big 3", they tend to create their own tones that have the same function as any typical siren (Wail, Yelp, Phaser etc......), but they all sound different, and, some of the ones out there are pretty brutally horrific to hear.

Examples/Opinions:

1) I love some of the Unitrol tones, just not all of them.

2) I also enjoy the SS2000 tones (momentary too, on the up-sweep, not just a manual which winds up and down)

3) Dual Tone is winning. Plain and simple.

4) Mechanical tones are just trying to replicate a different sound. Never impressed by them.

http://s757.photobucket.com/user/SFD516/media/512Tahoe.mp4.html

(should I think of more examples or personal input I will add it here).

Just my :twocents:   Take it, leave it, give change back, its all good!

GtownFF

Jan 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Re-reading through this it was mentioned that possibly November would be a potential release date of the new siren model. Just wondering if this is coming soon or just pushed to the side?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
No word on it yet.  As always, speculation on release dates is just speculation. No dealer truly knows anything until Feniex actually says "it will ship on this date" and usually they only give us a week or two notice. 

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
We will start on this project in about 4 to 5 weeks. In the mean time, please keep the tone request coming! The engineers will attempt to pack every possible tone that you all have mentioned in this form. I think the limitation will come down to the micro processor space, however we can always increase the package size to a larger micro for more space.  
Alex,

I had an opportunity to speak with Tom the other day and it was GREAT to sit and visit with him. Your company really does impress me, as well as you folks who work there.

Just my .02 on the siren thing.... In my POV I run an "old" Federal Signal PA200 for the very reason that "today's" tones are just too high pitched. They are simply too difficult to hear. With cell phones, radios (good times type), headphones, and the quality of vehicle insulation, the high pitched tones are "lost" before they ever make it to the human ear. I notice my 100W siren clears traffic better than any of our fire apparatus with dual speaker 200W sirens. In addition, the Hi-Lo tone that many dislike I find gets attention just as fast as any other tone (I think mainly because it has gone away and people think it's "something new and cool" or something they just see on TV now). I think sirens constantly need to evolve to keep attention. If people are "used to something" the boring factor sets in. The more often we can come up with new "commanding" tones, the more we will "get attention". ... Kind of like the whole "Whoa! What's that noise?!" instead of something like "Oh great, another ambulance...".

I will also say that my patrol car has a Touchmaster Delta, with a bumper guard mounted AS124 speaker that does fairly well also. It has a good Yelp tone and I'm not dissatisfied with that set up.

But yes, something like the powercall would be awesome as well. To my knowledge, it has only been used in the northeast. I'd venture to say it would be very effective here in the south for a few years before people "got used to it".

Thanks again for all you guys do to keep an open ear! I'll sit down and be quiet now. :popcorn:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.