Filling Holes - Interior

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Wasn't positive on where to put this; please move if needed.

I have a few small holes that I need to fill on the sides of my console and plastic interior paneling from moving equipment around and changing things out.

I was curious to know how and what is used to fill any holes in the dashboard/plastic interior paneling? Not large holes; just from small stainless self-tappers. They were quite sharp and well-machined, so they left very small, clean holes.

I was thinking along the lines of epoxy and a dab of black paint, but it seemed a little primitive to me.

Thanks again!

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
Replace plastics, or leave them alone. Can't do much about it, it will be noticeable how ever way you do it. If you don't really car, just don't want holes, your idea seems fine.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Reno911 said:
Replace plastics, or leave them alone. Can't do much about it, it will be noticeable how ever way you do it. If you don't really car, just don't want holes, your idea seems fine.

Kinda what I expected. I know it wont look "factory" at all; just filled.

Epoxy it is, I guess!

Thanks!

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
I've used screw caps and hole plugs. Google them. They can be found in the hardware section of most home improvement stores and GOOD automotive stores.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The 14 year old in me saw the title of this thread and went

Seriously though, if you do a safe search on google you'd be surprised how many different marine, automotive and other hole plugs there are. Go easy on the adhesives... it actaully looks better than you'd think. or... cut a matching hole somewhere else and use the same plug so it looks like it's supposed top be that way... hehe ..

There are other paintable resins and patching compounds available, but your best bet is usually a plug from an easy of installation and end appearance.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Lots of the guys over at MP3car.com use resins to put touchscreens in dashes and such, I would say if you have many holes in one are, resin them up, sand and paint console or whatever to match the interior. They usually come out looking great :yes:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
7d9_z28 said:
Lots of the guys over at MP3car.com use resins to put touchscreens in dashes and such, I would say if you have many holes in one are, resin them up, sand and paint console or whatever to match the interior. They usually come out looking great :yes:

If you have a lot a of blemishes or holes resins are a viable option. I think color matching is the hardest part if applicable. To me a couple small holes isn't worth the trouble, but 7d9_z28 is right, there are lots of great resin based options out there that will look better than plugs if you are willing to put forth a little more skill and effort.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
Just a couple small holes? I'd look and see if you can find a colour matched silicone or similar substance...it won't look perfect, but it'll still look better than a hole.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.