Fire this morning

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Had this fire this morning right after getting home from my 24 hour shift at my main department. This was at my smaller paid/volunteer department. I was supposed to be off from here today, but when a call like this comes in...ya go lol. That's me in the picture. Myself and one other guy were by ourselves on this for what felt like forever, but realistically was about 5 minutes. 

ai1021.photobucket.com_albums_af331_Hart10584_5_zps63e789aa.jpg

Reactions: jph2 and Wigwam700
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
You and the other guy were alone on this? Do you not wait for a full crew before heading to a call?
We were by ourselves for about 5 minutes (maybe). And at this department, we only have a paid guy on during business hours and the rest is all volunteer. So one paid guy on and when something like this comes in, we just hope that the volunteers come to assist. We have a county fire station that responds mutual aid with us on fires and serious calls. So, in a sense, no...we do not wait for a "full" crew simply because as volunteers, they may or may not be coming. Can't stick around to wait and see who shows up. 

For the love of Christ was the other guy taking the photo?!!
Lol, No. These pictures were from the local newspaper. 

Reactions: Wigwam700

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
We were by ourselves for about 5 minutes (maybe). And at this department, we only have a paid guy on during business hours and the rest is all volunteer. So one paid guy on and when something like this comes in, we just hope that the volunteers come to assist. We have a county fire station that responds mutual aid with us on fires and serious calls. So, in a sense, no...we do not wait for a "full" crew simply because as volunteers, they may or may not be coming. Can't stick around to wait and see who shows up. 

Lol, No. These pictures were from the local newspaper.
Same thing with our dept paid driver gets truck out and volunteers go to scene.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Wow! It is crazy how different areas run. My town of 13,000 is strictly volunteer and trucks don't roll without a full crew (5 or 6 depending on the truck). Their average time of page to first engine rolling is under 5 minutes. They don't allow members to go direct to a seen unless they are an officer and can take IC.

Last edited by a moderator:

bunnyfurr

Aug 29, 2010
WA
The volunteer dept near me has at least a crew of 3 onboard before rolling.  Have never had a problem getting them rolling within 5-7 minutes.  Usually one guy on duty and a couple of station rats hanging around from time to time. 

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Wow! It is crazy how different areas run. My town of 13,000 is strictly volunteer and trucks don't roll without a full crew (5 or 6 depending on the truck). Their average time of page to first engine rolling is under 5 minutes. They don't allow members to go direct to a seen unless they are an officer and can take IC.
Ya, we only have about 11 volunteers on the roster...and we're lucky if 3 or 4 of them show up to fires. A lot of them are just on our roster to keep their standards good. It's a pretty slow department but when the shi* does hit the fan, luckily we have 2 paid departments close by that can be there within 5-7 minutes to assist us. 

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
I bet that was one hot fire!

I feel your pain on the low staffing during the day. I was by myself on a structure fire during the day about a month ago. Felt like forever before auto aid got there.

Dan

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I bet that was one hot fire!

I feel your pain on the low staffing during the day. I was by myself on a structure fire during the day about a month ago. Felt like forever before auto aid got there.

Dan
It definitely sucked. I was trying to cool the gas tank on the car and get a stop on it on the house...I just kept going back and forth lol. The house is a total loss though despite our efforts. 

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Ya, we only have about 11 volunteers on the roster...and we're lucky if 3 or 4 of them show up to fires. A lot of them are just on our roster to keep their standards good. It's a pretty slow department but when the shi* does hit the fan, luckily we have 2 paid departments close by that can be there within 5-7 minutes to assist us.
Don't feel bad. I'll post some pics of the fire we had a couple weeks ago. We have a roster of 20 or so, we had 9 ppl show up. 3 or 4 showed up with another dept.

jmccarthy

Nov 9, 2013
ne ohio
We usually get 3 to 4 on a truck within 5 mins plus our paid medics on the squad. At night we usually get 2 that show up myself and another volunteer and were usually first in. We also have our neighboring paid dept coming mutual aid and luckly we have the airbase fd coming with a full crew

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.