First project bar

Pat_Hogle

Sep 23, 2010
New York, USA
Ok.  So I recently rescued a Federal Signal Vista Halogen bar from a neighbor of mine.  It was found upside down in the back of a truck that had been stored outside and was full of water.  Currently it has all clear domes, red filters on all 4 rotators, 4 lower lamps with amber filters, 4 lower lamps with red filters, ally lights and intersection lights.

It looks like most everything on the driver side is shot however the two FA3 flashers appear to still be dry inside.  On the passenger side, the outer rotator appears to be in good shape, as do the lower level lamps on the passenger side.  The light was not laying flat so most of the water was in the driver side of the bar.

I realize this is going to be a big project but I am planing on rebuilding this into an all amber bar.  Being my first undertaking it will also be a learning experience.  I hope to be able to get some help from other members here.  I'm going to list a few questions I have right off but would be open to other input.

1. Knowing the bars came with outboard standard and inboard fast rotators, is it possible to put in 4 standard rotators?

2. I'd like to replace the center mirror with a TCL.  Suggestions?

3. Anyone have 4 amber rotator filters and 4 amber stationary filters they would want to swap for the 4 red ones I have of each?

4. How difficult is it to get a replacement diamond for the driver side?

5. Is there a way to put amber filters on the intersection light?

These are my starting points for now.  I have a few other ideas but need to get some of the basic work done first.

20140924_153736_resized_1.jpg

20140924_153742_resized_1.jpg

20140924_153758_resized.jpg

20140924_153809_resized.jpg

20140924_153823_resized.jpg

20140924_153831_resized.jpg

20140924_153840_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 14, 2014
NV
I can't recommend FedSig's strobes, IMHO, the light output is significantly less than Whelen's strobes.  In the early 2000's I bought several Vista lightbars and spec'ed the TCL, so I know it will fit.  The challenge will be finding a good used one.  I know FedSig will sell you a new one, but I'm guess you don't want to spend that kind of money if you don't have to.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
ezgif.com-add-text.gif

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Sorry to spill the tinkle on you floats and Shriner cars.....

You have a pretty unpopular bar in terrible shape.  The plastic portions are the main parts and they are ruined.  I'd salvage the parts you can and sell them.  Metal based rotators are often found in better shape and make better projects.

Reactions: Zapp Brannigan

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Sorry to spill the tinkle on you floats and Shriner cars.....

You have a pretty unpopular bar in terrible shape.  The plastic portions are the main parts and they are ruined.  I'd salvage the parts you can and sell them.  Metal based rotators are often found in better shape and make better projects.
A+++ I have had several of these bars, in strobe and halogen. I have always stripped them out. They are like the vector/vision...too many of them out there, too expensive/big to ship.

If you want parts I know I have the upper strobe parts (which suck) and I may have rotators. I may even have lower halogens. I will say this, I do not know what Federal did with their strobe heads, but If you put the supply on whelen strobe heads they are not that bad.

PM me if you are interested.

Pat_Hogle

Sep 23, 2010
New York, USA
So, I know it's been a while since I have posted anything. I had to postpone working on the Vista light bar for a while.

I have been spending a few minutes each day working on the upper domes for starters. A good wash in Ivory soap and warm water has removed the vast majority of the crud and discoloration on them. I am now using Quixx System headlight restoration kit on them. The results so far are very impressive and while I doubt they will get to anything near new, the domes will definitely be usable.

I plan to get some updated photos up of the domes later this week.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
I found the PDF of the parts numbers for your Vista
http://www.fedsig.com/docs/PPL 0301.pdf
If you looking for a new mirror, I'd try ebay first, then call FedSig and see if they can help you. I've had good luck with them, others have had not so great an experience.
If I remember correctly, you can not put colored filters on the intersection sweeps.
Glad to hear your working on it and the domes have some life left in them.

Reactions: Pat_Hogle

Pat_Hogle

Sep 23, 2010
New York, USA
Domes were my biggest concer. I salvaged the bar out of the bed of a pick up which had been sitting outside for a couple years. They bed was partly filled with water and the bar left upside down on a tilt.

As for the intersection lights, I am going to see about either colored bulbs or may swap them out for LEDs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.