First Yankee Bar

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Well after tellin myself no more full size bars............I BROKE DOWN!! Went to Dayton Hamvention yesterday, and while walking around checkin out the flea market. I only bought some little supplies I needed, Looked for some items for other members. I headed out to the jeep with nothing else. For me it was a lousy year no vintage stuff found. :) I did see a amber yankee bar, same one from last year layin under a table. The guy must have gotten tired of luggin it around as he had the price at half he had last year.But it was too late I wasn't going to go back in and lug it for a half mile ( they made a heavy built bar.). Besides a storm was brewing and about to break loose. I got to the exit for vendors and traffic was jammed up due to the amount of people fleeing the storm. The security guy was needing an urgent blue house visit so I held traffic for him. He promptly returned thanked me and ask if I bought anything. Told him not really and about the bar. He snuck me in the exit and I pulled up and bought and loaded it and away we went. :) Kinda rough yet but had the speaker in it so for the price and ease of getting it, it was worth it.

Yankee Lightbar.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Real nice bar. :thumbsup:

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Thanks guy's if it weren't for the easy grab it would still be there. When I left yesterday I gave Shue's a call and he remembered seeing it last year when there. If any of you come across some endcaps (both are broke but I think I can reproduce them) or a data tag off the front of one, or domes keep me in mind....I located some red domes thru this thread but would love to find clears.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
here's those domes Randy.

Before and after.

stat-yankee duel end red done.JPG

stat-yankee duel red side done.JPG

stat-yankee end red undone.JPG

stat-yankee red end standing done.JPG

stat-yankee red end standing undone.JPG

stat-yankee red end undone.JPG

stat-yankee red end undone2.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
Awesome find! I always end up picking up bars I see the year before. Always get them for a good price when you kindly remind the seller that they have to lug it back home again, just like last year. Can't wait to aee progress pics as you restore it!

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
i saw that bar i would have got it if i drove out but i flew and it would cost to much to ship. i did get a whelen DMS strobe another guy was selling.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Maxim2Eng said:
Very cool! Say, is the Yankee bar the same as the Signal Stat Dual Comm? Innards looks the same. As a FedSig guy, I'm not familiar with these lights.

Although from a distance they look identical, close inspection reveals some differences between the Yankee 911 and the Signal-Stat Dual Comm bars. Signal-Stat used lamp holder assemblies that were round and had vent holes, Yankee used a design that had vent chimneys. Signal-Stat speaker grill perforations were aligned vertically and horizontally, light the Federal Signal TwinSonic, Yankee used a pattern of alternating cuts, sort of like the pattern made by a brick wall.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
chief1565 said:

And yours was a Dual Comm from the 1980's, it used the lamp holders and drive units of the Signal-Stat 370 beacon. The 370 beacon went out of production around 1980, who knows, maybe Signal-Stat was just using up their existing supply of 370 parts?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Thanks for that I was wondering why everytime I see a Stat or a Yankee why mine was different.

still have the grill and the stationary lamp holders.

Domes might be gone though.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
That's what happen to it! I saw it, went to my flea market space to get a wagon so I didn't have to carry it and when I got back it was either gone or I just never found the seller again, not sure which.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Very nice, Randy. It's amazing what you can find at a Hamfest! Back in 1974 I bought a absolutely cherry Director with an MM24 speaker for $40. I ran the siren on my '67 Chevy wagon ambulance with the speaker underhood. At one point it got to where it wouldn't wail, so when I came down home for a weekend I drove over to Odessa where a friend ran the city's radio shop. He looked at it and replaced a bad capacitor. He then asked me if I'd like to really get some sound out of that siren, and I said, "Sure". He beefed up the output transistors, and thereafter, that siren would blow your socks off...even with the underhood speaker.

Not long after that I loaned the siren and speaker to AID Ambulance, who was Lubbock's primarly ambulance at the time. The siren and speaker went on a '75 Dodge Maxivan that they were building into an ambulance. The speaker went in the front center of the roof and was flanked by four DoRay lollipop lights and had a Model 14 beacon behind the speaker.

At that time, AID's office was on West 19th St. just west of Methodist Hospital and the west end of the Texas Tech campus. I lived almost two miles from AID's office. Their other two ambulances were Suburbans with Directors and CP25 speakers. They had to be within six blocks of me to hear them if they came east on 19th. But with my Director on that Dodge van.....I could hear them when they pulled out of the drive. Awesome!

Have fun with the bar, Randy!

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Squad-6 said:
That's what happen to it! I saw it, went to my flea market space to get a wagon so I didn't have to carry it and when I got back it was either gone or I just never found the seller again, not sure which.

Actually when I got it they had all their table's tarped due to the storm rollin in. Started to take it down last nite. Had to drill some of the screw's out almost seemed like someone loc tited them in. Someone put a trailer plug on it for wiring. Its going to be a job. Domes look good Chief, will be intouch. Thanks all.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I was really surprised to see the differences between those two bars. I've always been told that both Signal-Stat and Yankee, as well as some of the Unity lights all came from either North American or Dietz. I would guess that the differences would be when one bar came from Dietz and the other from N.A.

stansdds said:
Although from a distance they look identical, close inspection reveals some differences between the Yankee 911 and the Signal-Stat Dual Comm bars. Signal-Stat used lamp holder assemblies that were round and had vent holes, Yankee used a design that had vent chimneys. Signal-Stat speaker grill perforations were aligned vertically and horizontally, light the Federal Signal TwinSonic, Yankee used a pattern of alternating cuts, sort of like the pattern made by a brick wall.

OK. I compared the bulb holders to my Dietz one-off mini bar. Looks the same to me. Did Dietz & Yankee share parts?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369426877.073524.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
As far as I know, Dietz, Yankee, and NAPA bars are identical when it comes to parts. Signal-Stat is the only one to use the round lamp holders and a few bars with the lamp holders and drive units from model 370 beacons.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Same shape as a Signal Stat light bar, but the speaker grille is different.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
As far as I know, Dietz, Yankee, and NAPA bars are identical when it comes to parts. Signal-Stat is the only one to use the round lamp holders and a few bars with the lamp holders and drive units from model 370 beacons.

As I think I mentioned earlier, a lot of Yankee and Signal-Stat and Peterson lights were built by Dietz. Some were also built by North American.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.