Five-O LR11 modification, completed

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Had a Five-O with a bad bulb. Thought it would be neat to put a Whelen LR11 in it.

EDIT 4/13/15: This is an extremely easy upgrade that will take 5 minutes to do. The LR mounts perfectly without trouble in the original spot. All you need to do is wire it in properly. Positive to positive, ground to ground.

Completed Video:

Original post: The fit is perfect. The LR mounts with little effort. The issue is the circuit board for it. It detects the "flaw" of the Five-O using a contact for power due to the rotating assembly, so the circuit doesn't power the LR.

After a few hours of trying to improve the contact system to no avail, I came up with this crude concept of independently powering the LR with a 9v battery secured to the rotating mechanism. Very crude for now, just secured with electrical tape. But it works!

http://youtu.be/5isX-GHMaUA
uploadfromtaptalk1426552788841.jpg

20150413_151849.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
My bet would be on the nearly non existent amperage draw. The high amperage of the halogen is what draws the contactor to send current. What about putting in a load resistor to try to up the juice?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Brian may have a different kind in mind but those are just the common ones I know of...

rettoded

Aug 12, 2011
Berks County,PA
Tsquale thank you for doing this! I have had this idea for a while of using both the LR11 and the Five-O light, but lacked either. I always wondered what it would look like, and it looks awesome! I am surprised by how the white light behind the colored lenses looks so incredibly bright! I will definitely be following this thread to see if the power issues get worked out.

So who wants to put an LR11 in a Whelen Cadet?

Better yet, who wants to put 2 degree Whelen PAR46 spotlight bulbs in an Unity RV46?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Ah so this is what you did!

Add two more LR11s spaced out and multiple brushes for power. Should woek great. Also needs a slightly slower motor.

Bonus if you do the same to a pancake light.... true 360° low profile led beacon! Imagine a 3, 4 or even a 5 beam pancake beacon!

.... someone sell me some LR11s now!

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
It's spinning so fast, I expected the centrifugal force to tear the electrical tape and break the lens.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Could you put in two LR11s side by side, in a more balanced configuration with the center bolt between them, or would that not fit?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I like the concept. I disagree with adding more LR11s. The reason rotators are effective is the dark time behind the reflector. With a flash back mirror, more heads would just become a blur.

Reactions: tsquale

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I like the concept. I disagree with adding more LR11s. The reason rotators are effective is the dark time behind the reflector. With a flash back mirror, more heads would just become a blur.
So install half of the modules with burned out diodes.  :razz:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Tried a few different capacitors resistors and was still unable to get the LR to illuminate. I have gone over the wiring over and over and find no issues. I have ensured the contact points are clean and making good contact. I'm at a loss.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I still bet you need more load than just the led. Capacitor won't fix that. You have used a dmm to check to make sure your getting continuity?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
probably because you need to use resistors and not capacitors?

may have to "reinvent the wheel"

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
is the motor that spinning drawing power from the same contacts?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok try this... run a positiveor the led  to the motors positive, ground the led where the halogen would have been grounded and then add a resistor to the motors wire.... it'll "think" the load of the halogen is there.

try it bare first to see what happens...

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
ok try this... run a positiveor the led  to the motors positive, ground the led where the halogen would have been grounded and then add a resistor to the motors wire.... it'll "think" the load of the halogen is there.

try it bare first to see what happens...
I will give that a try tonight after work. Thanks for the idea.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Well I have tinkered with a few different resistors, all to no avail. I am at a loss here. Anyone know if the LEDs will still work if I de-solder them and try to power them direct instead of going through the circuit board they are on?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
how big were the resistors?

try this....

get a paper clip and a nail...  wrap the paper clip around the nail leaving space between the winds... try different windings for different resistance values...

or.. start looking at the resistors they make for "e cig vapor sticks"

I tried to google some sites but work has "tobacco" related websites blocked

are you sure the led lights are actually 12v? (dumb question I know) but what if you get a mini adjustable voltage regulator and run through it... or get a "mini transformer" from 12 - 9v etc...

[Broken External Image]:http://d3i5bpxkxvwmz.cloudfront.net...to-9-volt-DC-converter-1366485715_387_219.gif

Reactions: Rene Foppes

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I have a better Idea. Try a pair of SXTDLEDS in there instead, that should level out the amp draw......................

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Well I have tinkered with a few different resistors, all to no avail. I am at a loss here. Anyone know if the LEDs will still work if I de-solder them and try to power them direct instead of going through the circuit board they are on?
No? Leds are only going to use a fraction of the voltage. Sure the positive and negatives are right. Have you tried reversing the leads on the lr11

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Thanks for sharing this! Always nice to see "odd" new projects from the membership!

Now, since there has been discussion in the past about colored diodes behind colored lenses versus "white" LED's behind colored lenses...

Seeing as it was a split lens, how effective would YOU say it was with the "white" diodes behind the two different colored lenses, and if you had a single color lens with the same colored diodes behind, do you think there would be an improvement, or less "loss"?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I'm an idiot thanks to C17LVFD and wilsonbr90 for the assistance. I indeed had the polarity for the LR reversed. The motor accepts reverse polarity but the LR clearly didn't at 12v. Not sure why it did at 9v, but I probably shaved some of its life off.

In conclusion, this is an EXTREMELY easy upgrade with spectacular results when wired properly.

Zapp, as for your question, I think it is very effective behind the colored filters. It is much brighter than the halogen bulb and has a crisp color. I don't think colored LEDs are necessary but could be unique for a stealthy look. Example, red LEDs with no filters.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Fantastic, I'll take one in amber and one in A/C.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I have TWO amber Five-O's for sale, supply your own LR11 and you'll have it!
I had seriously considered trying to get you to throw one in as a partial trade on the Lightstorm, but I had to resist more lights!

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I liked the idea SOOO much I made myself one as well. Awesome idea and wicked bright!

Just have to finish cleaning up the lenses and it'll be like new:)

Great idea Tony!

Seth

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I liked the idea SOOO much I made myself one as well. Awesome idea and wicked bright!

Just have to finish cleaning up the lenses and it'll be like new:)

Great idea Tony!

Seth
I am glad it inspired you to create one as well and thanks again for helping me realize my wiring snafu.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Very smooth and balanced mechanism.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.