Flashing Spotlight??

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
Definitely not flashing as much as just being moved back and forth. I could be wrong, but it seems like an officer involved in a pursuit like this would have more important things to worry about as far as warning equipment and keeping the vehicle under controllable than playing with the spotlight?

I don't know much about spotlights, never having driven a vehicle with one mounted. Are the movement mechanisms lose enough that the movement of the vehicle itself could be causing it to move back and forth?

mjozzie143

Oct 10, 2010
Conway, South Carolina
I'm not sure how early on in the pursuit this was but he could be trying to flash it in the mirror to make an attempt to deter the driver to stop, knowing it isn't gonna work but might as well try it.

wema628

May 30, 2010
USA / Tennessee
I have done a flashing spot light on a car i use to have. just used a flasher out of an old code 3 light bar from that ran the take down lights that also wig wag. just done remember the number for the flasher

Jeremy0966

Aug 12, 2012
Idaho
Seems to me like moving the light by hand isn't the best of ideas when running code, unless you have a partner in the passenger seat doing it with the light on his side. Having a flasher hooked up would be the most effective and safest way in my opinion. Or if you have the cash you can always put out for Whelen's new LED spotlight/warning light combo. Kinda cool i think killing to birds with one stone.

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n114_jeremy0966_p46s2r.jpg

squad511

Oct 4, 2010
here
I would guess that its a loose spot light...it seems to be flowing with the bumps in the road...if he was doing it manually..um not smart...but my squad spot lights flip up and down anytime I go over 45....

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
yeah, i'd say that it's damn near wore out and needs some maintenance. I've got unity's on my offroad rig for directional light at night plus put one on my impala after a crash I stopped at. If you don't adjust things right, or they just loosen up with time, you'll get that.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
could it be the takedowns that are flashing on the truck as its going by?

Also, does anyone remember the ELB or youtube video a while back of the black unmarked (charger...I think) with LED spotlights that flashed with everything else. They were synced up with everything else. Even the lightbar. I think it was when the wecan system first came out. Anyways, they had the spotlights that flashed and it looked really bright and affective. I tried to find it but I couldn't

futurewarden

Jul 30, 2012
CA, USA!!
I drive that street frequently. Both units were ALCO S/O. The sheriff has stock unity spots. The deputy was either manually operating it or as mentioned above, it was loose. Btw, the nearest un-incorporated area is about a 20 minute drive... must have been a hell of a pursuit.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Hoser said:
Wonder if the first patrol car made it, lots of blue smoke coming from the rear..

Edit: Never mind, rewatched it.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Its being done by hand. You can see it going up and down the back of the vehicle the whole video. There arent any other halogen lights on the unit, it can only be that light that is sweeping up and down.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
If that's being done by hand the deputy must have a lot of confidence in his driving ability. I wonder what his EVOC instructor would say about only having one hand on the wheel during pursuit driving

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
vc859 said:
If that's being done by hand the deputy must have a lot of confidence in his driving ability. I wonder what his EVOC instructor would say about only having one hand AND A KNEE on the wheel during pursuit driving

Fixed it for you ;)

rad123

Aug 5, 2011
Dixon, CA
The first car also has a FS rumbler or Whelen Howler on it.

rad123

Aug 5, 2011
Dixon, CA
Strobe Craft said:
Sure its not the engine going?.... haha

I don't think it is the engine, but i could be wrong. Some of the new cars around the bay area are starting to use rumblers of howlers on their cars.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
I see officers here all the time (myself included) during night time pursuits driving and using the spot to blinde the driver in the side mirrors making it harder for him/her to operate the vehicle.. have seen it on cops a couple times also in pursuits, I just thought it was a common practice haha

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
fireman616wfd said:
I see officers here all the time (myself included) during night time pursuits driving and using the spot to blinde the driver in the side mirrors making it harder for him/her to operate the vehicle.. have seen it on cops a couple times also in pursuits, I just thought it was a common practice haha

Sounds like a law suit waiting to happen when they crash into a childs bedroom cause the officer tempoary blinded the driver with the spot light. Attorneys would prolly line up for miles on that families door step.

bcr3106

May 2, 2012
Texas
I have seen some traffic units in my city with flashing spot lights. Usually they are the ghost cars that don't have too many led's on them.

Muxlow

Jun 2, 2010
Middlesex/ontario
Id say the switch is loose. I had this in my charger. It would come on at random times or when it was on would turn off n on. Just had to tighten up the on/off switch and fixed it up :)

Jeremy0966

Aug 12, 2012
Idaho
bcr3106 said:
I have seen some traffic units in my city with flashing spot lights. Usually they are the ghost cars that don't have too many led's on them.

Makes sense. If you have limited warning lights on the vehicle might as well take advantage of the spotlights since they're already there. I would like to see it in person to see how well it actually works.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
In an episode of some police reality show in the early 90s they rode with a gang unit in LA. They had only 2 rear flashers and a single front red steady. The officer explained that he cleared the intersections by sweeping the spotlight back and forth. This looks like the exact same activity.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
John you're thinking about Dragnet again, the radio show.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
For many, many years, Texas DPS cars came with a single spotlight as the sole piece of lighting equipment. They had a switch under the dash that allowed the light to be used both as steady-on and in flashing mode. They also had a red plastic lens with springs to go over the spotlight head to use in pursuit or emergency mode.

From what I saw on the video, that spotlight was flashing way too fast to have been done manually.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Skip Goulet said:
For many, many years, Texas DPS cars came with a single spotlight as the sole piece of lighting equipment. They had a switch under the dash that allowed the light to be used both as steady-on and in flashing mode. They also had a red plastic lens with springs to go over the spotlight head to use in pursuit or emergency mode.

From what I saw on the video, that spotlight was flashing way too fast to have been done manually.

In the video the spotlight is being moved back and forth it would appear.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
My guess is it was loose and shaking around. It was probably never turned off after he started chasing them once they took off..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.