Flip Down Visor Lights?

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Well folks, I am looking at the visor lights. I am sure they are less common, but does anyone have any experience?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

JaBradt85

May 23, 2010
Albany, NY
I had the led and strobe flatlighters. If you want to be lo pro go for it. Flashback is kind of annoying, look at Code 3s or Sound Off gen 3s.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Thought about having a set of grille lights for night time and just doing a separate shut off switch so that the two run separately from one another...

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I'd go for the Code 3. You might also want to see about using bit of cardboard taped under it to minimize flashback.

But they're very easy to install, just strap it onto the visor and plug it into the cigarette outlet.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
I know but i use my cig plug for other things like GPS...especially since my EMS squad covers 3 towns during day/night, but usually runs mutual aid to a 4th and occasionally a 5th during the day. Since i only know one of the towns (my own) down to the T, i need that available to me...

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
If you don't wanna go through the trouble of using a switchbox, could just go the easy (and still more affordable route) of getting a cigar multi adapter to run multiple things.

As far as the light, if you're trying to stay cheap, the Whelen FL220 works pretty decently. Got a couple buddies that used them for vollie FF use before and I used to use them when I was an SP on the airbase and we'd get a loaner car.

If you're going for the LEDs, I haven't seen the Code 3, so I can't say anything good or bad. I have seen the Sound Off during the day and it rocked!

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
We did use some FlatLighters for a while, but went back to LED dashlights.

Pros:

- Easy to install, stay permanently in place

- On/Off Switch on the light itself.

- Low pro, at least for outsiders.

Cons:

- Pain in the butt if you have to change vehicles in a hurry and have run/hidden up the wire.

- Visible for passengers to see. We like our cars unconspicuous, inside and out. The visor light was a giveaway.

- Annoying for someone sitting in the passenger front seat.

As a sidenote, I have seen the Whelen LED Visor used as a dashlight, mainly by the US Embassy Paris personnel on the embassy's SUVs. Weird. :shock:

Just my 2 Eurocents worth... :)

Stendec

May 21, 2010
When the dreaded Underwear Bomber burned his balls off on that airplane last year every piece of video showed an unmarked SUV by the plane on the tarmac with a visor light. I thought that was close to the dumbest application i could think of, so I assume it belonged to TSA.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Stendec said:
When the dreaded Underwear Bomber burned his balls off on that airplane last year every piece of video showed an unmarked SUV by the plane on the tarmac with a visor light. I thought that was close to the dumbest application i could think of, so I assume it belonged to TSA.
:lol: :lol:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
kinnelonfire75 said:
So the consensus is that i should just do a normal dash light? I only thought of the flip down because i like the idea.
I do too, I'd use it just because it can be hidden and easily flipped down to be visible.

But you could get a dash light and just keep it under the seat maybe, but I guess that would be harder to toss on the dash.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
nerdly_dood said:
I do too, I'd use it just because it can be hidden and easily flipped down to be visible.

But you could get a dash light and just keep it under the seat maybe, but I guess that would be harder to toss on the dash.

Just in case someone is assuming that i am trying to hide something...i have rather visible grille lights and a permit for everything. I do not care about the dash light being visible or not. I like the idea and i am curious about how functional they are...

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
I used to have a headliner mounted slim lighter. I got hit by someone running a stop sign and sold the slim lighter after the car was declared totaled because i needed the money at the time. Now i am in a bit of a pickle finding something decently priced/that i like.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
If you're hurting for cash, I'd do the FL220. Yeah, it's strobe, but they're is plenty of used ones that are affordable.

If you've got the money, I'd pursue the Sound Off visorlight.

Good luck to you either way.

ncfireman1918

Jun 15, 2010
Mocksville, NC
I've been running a FL220 since 2004 when I got it from a buddy in trade for tow HAW tubes. I upgraded it to LED 3 years ago, by yanking apart some 500 series linear LEDs, and it has run like a champ (not a conversion for the faint of heart, or fond of warranty crowds). I see all kinds of posts regarding flashback, but it has never really bothered me. I guess it is personal preference. I probably have averaged 2-3 nightime responses a week since I bought it. I have seen the soundoff gen 3, and it rocks. I debated swapping one of those for my FL, but I just couldn't bring myself to scrap my custom work. I guess I'll run what I have till it dies, and look at other options later. I drive a Volvo, so I kind of prefer it appear all buttoned up and business like until I need to respond, so the visor light has always been good for that. Too bad I didn't grab any pics when I had a C70 convertible. Looked a little funny with the top down, and the visor light going... :D

May 21, 2010
Corbin, Kentucky
Since selling off everything I had, Mx, LEDs, Everthing. Ive gotten back into lights again, Simple space saving setup

I have a Delta Ray on the front visor and two tir-4s in the back.

I love the Delta Ray, Flash back at night...never noticed it. Clears traffic in the day like any other light Ive owned.

For being an old, genI light I love it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.