foot switches

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
I don't know of anyone who DOES use foot switches & never installed one! It's always through the horn ring. In my opinion, using a footswitch costs more in parts, labor, and more complicated. Personally, using foot switches is a poor excuse for not using the horn ring connections. It isn't hard to connect and makes more sense to do it this way.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
In modern fire apparatus the horn ring is not within reach of the officer's seat. If the officer is going to control the siren and the horns, foot switches are a must.

Also, if the engineer is going to control the siren and the horns, the horn ring can only be used for one of these functions. As such, using a foot switch on the left side for the air horns compliments the horn ring for siren control.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I see dash switches and steering wheel controls in ambulances around here and foot switches in fire vehicles where the officer controls the horn...

MJDNRP-6885

Jul 25, 2010
Germantown Hills, IL
shues said:
In modern fire apparatus the horn ring is not within reach of the officer's seat. If the officer is going to control the siren and the horns, foot switches are a must.

Also, if the engineer is going to control the siren and the horns, the horn ring can only be used for one of these functions. As such, using a foot switch on the left side for the air horns compliments the horn ring for siren control.

The FD that I was on, had all the controls for all audible warning (Fed-Q, Air horn, and electric siren) mounted so that only the engineer/driver had control over them. The officer's job was radio operation and reading the map and giving directions, and he also had access to the Bell, but no one ever really used it except for parades, it was more ornamental for tradition.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
On both FDs I'm on, footswitches are used on the apparatus for Qs, and one rig on my vollie dept uses footswiches for an airhorn on an '86 Mack/Pierce. In my POV, I had to wire up a footswitch for the Whelen Alpha 12Q due to already using my horn ring for my Unitrol TMD.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
TNFF412N said:
that doesnt make since, how does Horn Ring take an output but the foot switch doesnt ?

+1 if one works the other will...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiemartin6

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.