For the Medics/EMT's...

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
How do you personally organize your radioed patient status reports and written narratives? EMT student looking for tips on good report writing...

Thanks! :D

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
jprleedy4680 said:
How do you personally organize your radioed patient status reports and written narratives? EMT student looking for tips on good report writing...

Thanks! :D

For a radio report I keep it as simple as I can. I give age, sex, chief complaint, vitals, treatments, and ETA

For the written report I use the chart method. It's not the best but it helps my keep myself organized.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Radio- Age, sex, chief complaint, vitals, and then ETA

Narrative-I just write out the call ex. Upon Arrival EMS found pt where and in what position, complaining of this or that, vitals assesed, any thing done to the patient, how we moved them to the ambulance, any additional treatment: band-aids, o2, another set of vitals, and arrival at hospital.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Start with what Im dispatched for, location. Then go on to arrival, assessments, interventions, etc...

yakomo

Jun 8, 2010
NY
chfdbigbad said:
For a radio report I keep it as simple as I can. I give age, sex, chief complaint, vitals, and treatments.

For the written report I use the chart method. It's not the best but it helps my keep myself organized.

I-CHART Method

I- arrived to find (age, AVPU, position)

C- Chief complaint, and current history

H- Medical history, Medications

A- Allergies

R- Rx/ treatment, Physical Exam: Pertinent +'s or -'s

T- Transport

charlie82

May 21, 2010
PA / USA
I start with demographics, then have a 2-3 paragraph scene description and subjective. I then have a premade checklist of the entire body with - bleeding, sensation, pain, etc... with room for narrative on each to describe. I then delve into treatment, followed by 2 paragraphs on patient transport and transfer.

For refusals I have all of this, except I replace transport with a 2-3 paragraph section stating what I explained to the pt, how they responded, etc...

All in all, the narrative part of my reports is usually 2 type written pages, out of a total of 7-9 pages which come from our software which allows me to input alot of the same info, but without narrative.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Believe it or not, my instructor completely skipped over teaching us how to write reports. So when I started working on a rig, the medic tore me a new one on my complete lack of report-writing abilities. He taught me to give very basic info over the air(age, chief complaint, condition, and ETA), and in the report to just write a head-to-toe analysis of the patient. Works pretty well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

spike91

Jun 11, 2010
New York
For the radio reports, Pt demographics, chief complaint and brief appropriate hx if necessary, last vitals and any major pt changes during care, ETA.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Radio reports will also differ for different systems and hospitals.

For example: Some places prefer to hear "vitals within normal limits" (assuming they are otherwise unremarkable) while other places want to know every number and value.

These nuances you'll have to learn when you start someplace new.

(I will add this: The radio report is for the purpose of triage, bed management and having resources ready when you arrive. Thus, PMH or Meds that aren't directly relevant to the emergency [like Coumadin in a stroke pt is relevant but gout medication isn't] should be omitted from the radio report. All the extra things can, and should, be conveyed when you give your report to the receiving facility staff in person.)

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
my PCR

who

what

when

were

and what i did for the pt

calling the hosp short and sweet

55 yo m shot pulse bp breathing quickly tell them what i or the medics did and eta

like this 25 yo m found shot pulse 40 weak thready bp 80 over 30 or 80 by palp resps 4 severe bleeding breathing being assisted eta 4 mins

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Zack said:
Radio reports will also differ for different systems and hospitals.

For example: Some places prefer to hear "vitals within normal limits" (assuming they are otherwise unremarkable) while other places want to know every number and value.

These nuances you'll have to learn when you start someplace new.

(I will add this: The radio report is for the purpose of triage, bed management and having resources ready when you arrive. Thus, PMH or Meds that aren't directly relevant to the emergency [like Coumadin in a stroke pt is relevant but gout medication isn't] should be omitted from the radio report. All the extra things can, and should, be conveyed when you give your report to the receiving facility staff in person.)

+1 I give infomation that is directly relevant to the PT at that time. I dont give vitals unless it needs to be said other wise I say "vitals stable".

"This is Medic ___ coming in with 40 year old male with non traumatic back pain since last night, unknown cause. vitals stable. be there in 10."

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
EMT-BLS said:
Believe it or not, my instructor completely skipped over teaching us how to write reports. So when I started working on a rig, the medic tore me a new one on my complete lack of report-writing abilities. He taught me to give very basic info over the air(age, chief complaint, condition, and ETA), and in the report to just write a head-to-toe analysis of the patient. Works pretty well for me.
:ugh:

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
ark_firefighter said:
We use EMSCharts.com and that pretty much lays it all out in the "action taken" section

+1 we also use EMSCharts.com

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.