Force 4 XL

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
I finally started on the XL I have.

It's was all red with a speaker section.

I'm making it all clear with color bulbs (probably red/clear driver side and blue/clear pass side)

But here's the strange part, on the driver side it has these brackets like if it was on an ambulance.

(Unscrew the front then unhook the back) But they are not there on the pass side.

Do I really need them? should there be one per side?

I did have a crazy thought. Since this version is not like the SD version. Can I swap out the sealed beams parts and put them in my mini XL?

Then make the full bar all independent rotators (I have 3 rotators and one mirror, just need one more rotator and mirror)

Or just leave it alone and clean it up?

2012-11-25_19-36-48_735.jpg

2012-11-25_19-37-06_522.jpg

2012-11-25_19-37-24_728.jpg

HillRock

Jun 30, 2010
Boston, Mass.
That looks like a nice bar, I would clean it and leave it alone, the clear domes and colored bulbs is a great idea. That is an XL9000 btw, the Force 4 XL had the independent open reflector rotators.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
if it's that clean I'd leave it alone.

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
HillRock said:
That is an XL9000 btw, the Force 4 XL had the independent open reflector rotators.

The original domes say Force 4XL on the sides. My Independent rotator mini bar dome just has XL Code 3 PSE on the ends.

So regardless on what is in the insides both versions are Force 4 XL's

I sure someone will chime in to say which is which ( I thought XL9000 is sealed beam whereas XL5000 is independent rotators).

It defiantly needs new seals, they are smushed towards inside the bar and falling off/dried out

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
EL1998P71 said:
The original domes say Force 4XL on the sides. My Independent rotator mini bar dome just has XL Code 3 PSE on the ends.
So regardless on what is in the insides both versions are Force 4 XL's

I sure someone will chime in to say which is which ( I thought XL9000 is sealed beam whereas XL5000 is independent rotators).

You are correct, Eric. The XL9000 is the sealed beams, XL5000 for the independent rotators.

If the XL bar was the independent rotator version, it had "FORCE 4 XL" on the labled endcaps.

[Broken External Image]:http://i.oodleimg.com/item/3057770261u_3x424x360f?1343439242

On the other hand, if the XL was the sealed-beam version, then they had "CODE 3 XL" instead of "FORCE 4 XL" on the labels.

[Broken External Image]:http://img.orbitbid.com/2011/11/01/Dutch Haken 005.JPG

Now, or used to be since this workhorse has been put to pasture, all the newer versions after the early-90s had these new style labels

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v497_fifthrider_InProgress_Ecto_1_DSCF0002.jpg

ai.ebayimg.com_t_Code_3_XL_5000_Mini_Lightbar_NEW__00_s_MTE5NV2c608dbd6d3baa84f5b7b2156ef939f9.jpg

As for these wierd clamps on the rear side of the bars, I guess it was Code 3's way of further fastening down the lenses in case screws fell out and the lenses had potential to take flight while driving. You can take those off and secure the domes with the provided hardware. Both my 48" and 22" Force 4 bar lenses do not have those clamps and stay on just fine (of course, they aren't on service duty anymore :haha: ).

44153d1353892143t-force-4-xl-2012-11-25_19-37-24_728.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lite-em-up

May 23, 2010
Eastern Missouri
CrownVic97 said:
As for these wierd clamps on the rear side of the bars, I guess it was Code 3's way of further fastening down the lenses in case screws fell out and the lenses had potential to take flight while driving. You can take those off and secure the domes with the provided hardware. Both my 48" and 22" Force 4 bar lenses do not have those clamps and stay on just fine (of course, they aren't on service duty anymore :haha: ).
44153d1353892143t-force-4-xl-2012-11-25_19-37-24_728.jpg

These are called "Front Access Lens Clips"

The clips were used for allowing the dome to be removed when the bar was mounted on an ambulance where the rear dome screws were not accessible due to lack of clearance. You would remove the front 3 screws and then lift the dome up in the front and rotate it back to clear the two hold downs. You said it was originally mounted on an ambulance which would make sense as to why it had the lens clips.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
lite-em-up said:
The clips were used for allowing the dome to be removed when the bar was mounted on an ambulance where the rear dome screws were not accessible due to lack of clearance. You would remove the front 3 screws and then lift the dome up in the front and rotate it back to clear the two hold downs. You said it was originally mounted on an ambulance which would make sense as to why it had the lens clips.

Ohhhhhhhhh......that makes more sense now, and answers my question:). Interesting!

Jesse Volanti

Sep 27, 2011
USA California
These bars are rear be careful not to damage anything on that bar the belts alone are hard to find, but you have yourself a good collection to start with, I don't know if you can get replacement lenses because Code 3 discontinued the XL 5000 & LP 6000 lightbars. keep it the way you got it and you should have no issues. They don't make em like they used too. :goodpost:

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
lite-em-up said:
BUT, these clips are on one side only, driver side. none on the pass side.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
It is possible that this bar started out as a Code 3 XL mounted on an ambulance or police van. At some point it was removed and placed in service on another vehicle that did not require the front access only clips and also required different dome or at least end cap colors. That would explain the loss of the clips on one side (either lost during retrofit or someone did not understand how they worked) and the use of Force 4 XL marked end caps.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.