Ford expedition with feniex t6

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Why would you post this? You have to know what happens by now.

epic.jpg

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Wow.... What a total FAIL!!!! Why no lightbar? Why all the surface mounts? Why the split heads? Such a waist..... I'm not afraid to put my 2 cents in.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
MEVS06 said:
I just look at the pics, I know when he posts it's a waste of my data to watch the video.....

I only watch to see if the vehicle will catch on fire.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
So you replaced the lightbar with surface mount lights? Making sure I'm reading that correctly. If so, both the installer and whoever wanted to do this with the department needs some serious help. All the money spend on those lights could have bought a good used LED bar, a couple TIR3's in the rear and a HLF. And another slick top fire vehicle....ugh. :puke:

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Uhhhhh........ a single halogen exterior lightbar, bought used for $100, would provide more warning and look 100x better. A used led one would cost half of what was spent and provide 1000x.

Surface mount? Why on earth? Are you advertising for a vehicle acne clinic or providing emergency lighting?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
That install with a bunch of small split flashed lights looks wayyyy better than a couple large solid color lights........said no one ever. :hopeless:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I just showed my fiancee the video of this epic fail, I had to watch it. She said "what the hell is that, that is fugly, even a special olympics kid could do a better install than that". I almost spit the tea out of my mouth.... ahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Flashguy said:
Yeah...GPC would rather you swallowed it........awkward. :haha:

I should have known that comment was going to turn to this. lol

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
To put it politely, there seems to be general agreement that the effectiveness of this lighting package doesn't live up to the expense and labor that went into it.

So, if this job rolled up to your shop, how would you fix it, short of patching dozens of holes and starting over?

To start, I'd ditch the rocker lights completely. I don't get the whole shin-level lighting concept, and hopefully they can be removed unobtrusively. Same for the hood mounts. That leaves "only" 8 body mount lights. With a slow pattern, keeping the red and white separate, not too bad.

Move the front lights to the outside of the grill. What's the point of hiding them, when everything else is prominently displayed?

Now, the big issue: the complete lack of lighting above waist level. A roof bar is the obvious choice, but if it absolutely, positively has to be a slick top, what to do? I think there might actually be some interior lights, but they barely make it through the tint. Or are those just reflections?

Your thoughts?

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
MtnMan said:
To put it politely, there seems to be general agreement that the effectiveness of this lighting package doesn't live up to the expense and labor that went into it.

So, if this job rolled up to your shop, how would you fix it, short of patching dozens of holes and starting over?

To start, I'd ditch the rocker lights completely. I don't get the whole shin-level lighting concept, and hopefully they can be removed unobtrusively. Same for the hood mounts. That leaves "only" 8 body mount lights. With a slow pattern, keeping the red and white separate, not too bad.

Move the front lights to the outside of the grill. What's the point of hiding them, when everything else is prominently displayed?

Now, the big issue: the complete lack of lighting above waist level. A roof bar is the obvious choice, but if it absolutely, positively has to be a slick top, what to do? I think there might actually be some interior lights, but they barely make it through the tint. Or are those just reflections?

Your thoughts?

You also forgot about the hideous mount on the rear lighting.. Please, put in like a warning bar instead of those. It looks terrible. I honestly hate saying that, because I know it must have been hard work installing them.. But ew.

Also, a Vision SLR would look really good on top of that truck.. Lets put something like that up there. not surface mounting t-6s everywhere.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
MtnMan said:

Your thoughts?

Well since its a fire department vehicle I'd put a full lightbar on it. You need 3x the cost of surface/covert lighting to be as effective as a lightbar so no reason not to for a FD vehicle. So throw a gen3 lightbar on there of just about any namebrand or feniex etc. Then throw a couple m6 or something similar in the grill (or a t6) and a couple license plate mounted t6. And you're done. If you have extra money or are in an urban area then some intersectors and a cobra 800 in the back window. Done.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
There is no fixing that vehicle after all those holes got drilled in it. ):

Kill_it_with_fire_image_macro.jpg

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
what holes? :)

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
I think rather than jumping on the fail-wagon here, I'll offer up some constructive ideas since the idea of this forum is to do what we do better... Lord knows I'm not perfect, and neither is anyone else.

• I've seen worse. At least it's sync'd.
  • It covers 360-degrees. And with the Cobra series, you're not going to miss it.
  • I always try to avoid drilling into the sheet metal of the vehicle if I can avoid it, but if the customer wants lights in the quarterpanel, then that's what they get.
  • I think the rear needs a light stick of some type for traffic. The T-6's on the tailgate don't bother me. The spacing makes a big footprint, and they're sync'd.
  • Try to avoid split heads unless there is no other option. You're essentially halfing the amount of light output.
  • The eye notices large blocks of color better than smaller blocks of multiple colors... just keep that in mind.
  • Everyone hates the lack of overhead lightbar on fire vehicles... and I get it... but it's not missing because of stealth reasons, some agencies just don't want it. As long as they have 360-degrees of good warning lights, who cares? The point is to provide adequate warning!

It's outside the box, it's a different install rather than 4 corner LED's and a lightbar... if the customer is happy, and it meets the criteria for adequate warning in their jurisdiction, then I think it works. The point of warning lights is to protect the people in and around the vehicle. If that mission is accomplished then more power to you. The time when you have to make a case for or against something to a customer is when what they want doesn't accomplish that goal, or could be handled in better ways than they envisioned.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helmi

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.