Ford F-550 Intersection warning

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Looking for ideas of products for intersection warning to go on a 2014 Ford F-550 Rescue/Mini Pumper

Looking for something to be placed around the front fender area. The color will be red. No split colors. No split patterns. 

My first and obvious choice would be something manufactured specifically for this vehicle in the F-550 nameplate area. Does such a thing exist? I know the new Taurus/Interceptors have Whelen IONs? that are made to go in this spot. Another option would be a pair of SNM Surface Stars in red that I have on hand, surface mounted there. 

My first choice is Whelen but I'm not totally closed to other options. The truck currently only has side warning from the lightbar, which has been changed to a Whelen Justice since this photo, and Whelen 700s above the rear tires. Ability to sync with those 700s would be a plus. And...... go!

Picture for reference:

r2a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fyrboy

May 24, 2010
NC
Rosenbauer-built '13 with warning light in each side of the front bumper.  Contacting an apparatus manufacturer might be helpful.

IMG_20140428_120229_404.jpg

Mar 25, 2014
Saint Louis, MO
I'm personally a big fan of the PowerArc LEDs. I wasn't able to find a good pic, sorry, but they will work perfectly on your grill. I would also move your current grill lights to your front finders under the F-550 badges.

uploadfromtaptalk1403316087092.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403316103817.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403316113187.jpg

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Already have plans to replace the lights on the grille with Whelen M7s eventually. They are currently red/white split fail.

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
 How about M4's on the fender flares or side of bumper? Grommet mounted Ion's on fender flares? Vertically mounted 500'S on the side of the grille or M7's if there is room? Let me know what you think? :)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
We commonly mount Feniex T6s between the top of the bumper and the fender right where the moldings meet in the crease in front of the tire.  Fits perfectly and effective. Im sure u could put an ion there

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Pimp, a whelen M7 fits perfectly in the front portion of the fenders, just above the wheel well & behind the headlight (at the 1 o'clock position if you're looking at the wheel from the side). My Batt Chief and another city's Batt Chief have new F250 & F350 command vehicles with M7s there, and they look great (and the M7s are prob the largest lighthead that fits in there without req. any special brackets). Crimson & a bunch of ambo manufacturers use Linz6 there on the superdutys, but they look tiny for a truck's intersection & I don't like them in that application

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
A Whelen M2 fits perfect mounted to the fender behind the headlight. Also, several ambulance manufacturers have mounting adapters to fit a 700 series in that spot but I'm not sure if they're even available for purchase. 

[Broken External Image]:http://blog.braunambulances.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/6376-Morgan-Twp-Chief-XL-F-450-17.jpg

Pimp, a whelen M7 fits perfectly in the front portion of the fenders, just above the wheel well & behind the headlight (at the 1 o'clock position if you're looking at the wheel from the side). My Batt Chief and another city's Batt Chief have new F250 & F350 command vehicles with M7s there, and they look great (and the M7s are prob the largest lighthead that fits in there without req. any special brackets). Crimson & a bunch of ambo manufacturers use Linz6 there on the superdutys, but they look tiny for a truck's intersection & I don't like them in that application
An M7 is too big to fit in that spot on the F450s and F550s without a special mount because of the larger fender flares. Any way you could post a picture of them though? Just eyeballing it, it looks like an M4 would be the largest light that would fit there. I'm curious how an M7 would look. 

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Our new brush trucks (F series pickups) have 4 Vertex surface mounted on the angled part of the grille (2 per side, 1 red and 1 white). I'm normally not a huge fan of Vertex as anything but hide-a-ways, but in this case, they seem to work quite well.

ahcdfrs.razuna.com_assets_3626_ECAE855C443B49488BCE1040BB479C287860f2cd7e5a481388fc7e24c26f150.jpg

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
Which company built yalls truck? Is that an off brand lightbar in your pic?

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
The truck was "assembled" locally by a local company I'm sure nobody here has heard of. The bed is from Fouts Bros in your neck of the woods (Smyrna). 

The lightbar () has been replaced by a longer Whelen Justice. 

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Your idea for surface stars is great. They are really under rated as secondary lights.

Here's a nice example of a M4(?) mounted underneath the ford vent.

---

Reactions: Pimp

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I mounted Whelen Ions under the fender flare. Definitely not as big of a footprint as an M4 or the like, but it works quite nicely without cutting into the fender.

ai60.tinypic.com_o73bd4.jpg

M7s are great for the grille as well.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Wow what kind of company would put speed tech on a fire apparatus, talk about cutting corners.
FORD.

We bought the vehicle from a Ford dealership with a lightbar included. FORD put that lightbar on there. Don't worry, though... I replaced it with a 62" Whelen Justice. Believe me. I was NOT a happy camper when that thing showed up. 

M7s are great for the grille as well.

That video has inspired me, prior to this post! :)

Reactions: JGG

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Read back. Ford didn't build it. My FD simply bought the truck/chassis from Ford. The package they spec'd had a lightbar in it. Person doing the bid had also been reading specs for the bed near the same time, and they specified Whelen products. He was thinking that included the truck. The truck package just specified "lightbar". In the end it was the department's oversight. Oh well, the important thing is, I fixed da problem! 

It's been frustrating to say the least but I'm trying to make the best of it. 

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
M7s in the grill, M6s on the foglight blanks.

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
Read back. Ford didn't build it. My FD simply bought the truck/chassis from Ford. The package they spec'd had a lightbar in it. Person doing the bid had also been reading specs for the bed near the same time, and they specified Whelen products. He was thinking that included the truck. The truck package just specified "lightbar". In the end it was the department's oversight. Oh well, the important thing is, I fixed da problem!

It's been frustrating to say the least but I'm trying to make the best of it.
O ok ya I guess I missed that part but good thing you did replace it.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Honest question - if your only planning on going to the side Ford emblem, what would you really be gaining?

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
I thought it looked like Fouts Bros. but I knew they use Whelen now.

As far as intersection lights try  brackets from CPI. Cant get the link to paste for some reason.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I think he's saying that if you're going to put a light back by the F-550 emblem, you're not getting true "intersection" warning...  

I'd say something mounted to the side of the bumper in the chrome, like a LIN-6/LINZ-6 with a chrome flange...

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Ah, good point. Thanks for the ideas thus far. I'll work something out eventually. It's got a few more stops to make before it will land at the station for good. Will update when I get it figured out. 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
An M7 is too big to fit in that spot on the F450s and F550s without a special mount because of the larger fender flares. Any way you could post a picture of them though? Just eyeballing it, it looks like an M4 would be the largest light that would fit there. I'm curious how an M7 would look.

I don't have a picture of it, but (unlike you) I'm not just eyeballing it; I know for a Fact that they can fit on current era super duty fenders b/c my city has M7's there and I actually confirmed it by reading the Whelen markings on the lens when my dept's mechanics were upfitting the truck earlier this year. Unlike a rectangular 700, and M7 is oval and it just has enough space.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee

I don't understand the question. 

I think he's saying that if you're going to put a light back by the F-550 emblem, you're not getting true "intersection" warning...  

I'd say something mounted to the side of the bumper in the chrome, like a LIN-6/LINZ-6 with a chrome flange...

Yes.  If the picture that you included for reference is the actual vehicle, the lightbar is mounted all the way forward on the cab - basically just behind the upper edge of the windshield.

If you put a light under the F550 emblem, you are basically just in front of the bottom slant of the windshield, but with 5 feet or more of vehicle in front of the light.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, I just don't think you're accomplishing much by putting an intersection light 2 feet in front of the lightbar.

Reactions: Surgicalcric

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I don't have a picture of it, but (unlike you) I'm not just eyeballing it; I know for a Fact that they can fit on current era super duty fenders b/c my city has M7's there and I actually confirmed it by reading the Whelen markings on the lens when my dept's mechanics were upfitting the truck earlier this year. Unlike a rectangular 700, and M7 is oval and it just has enough space.
I am not doubting they fit on the fenders of the F250s and F350s. I simply stated I would like to see a picture of the trucks because it does not look like a light that big will fit and I was curious how it would look. In the OPs case, the apparatus he is dealing with is an F550 which has much larger fender flares than the F250/350 and because of that there is no way a light that is over 7 inches long would fit without a special mount. I have seen an M2 mounted in this location and it barely fit, the edges were touching the fender flare and the edges of the headlight. The dimensions of an M7 are 7-5/8" Long X 3-3/8" H, an M2 is 4" L X 2.5" H. 

Here is an F450 with an M7 in that location on a specific bracket. 

acapecodfd.com_Pics_20Appar_202_Pic_20RO_20A208_20new_20061212A_2673.jpg

Reactions: Storm4200

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Yes.  If the picture that you included for reference is the actual vehicle, the lightbar is mounted all the way forward on the cab - basically just behind the upper edge of the windshield.

If you put a light under the F550 emblem, you are basically just in front of the bottom slant of the windshield, but with 5 feet or more of vehicle in front of the light.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, I just don't think you're accomplishing much by putting an intersection light 2 feet in front of the lightbar.
I understand what you are saying now and appreciate the input. You do make a good point. Duly noted.  :cool:  

BlueLineEnt

May 23, 2010
Danvers, MA
I used Whelen V23 lights on the perimeter of this FD vehicle which also provides a side scene light as well as perimeter light in the same Lighthead. Worked great, but unfortunately all my pics are on my good camera and not my phone. This is the best one I have available at the moment. The Lighthead is on the front fender with the white scene light turned on currently. You can also see the other 2 V23 lights on the side of the bed too. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415893347.864636.jpg.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.