Ford Interceptor Utility wiring question

hutch

May 25, 2010
Plymouth, NH
I have a couple of questions while planning out 3 Interceptor Utility installs I will be doing soon. These are the first ones I have worked on.

Do you have any photos of where you are drilling into the firewall? I would like to drill on the driver's side. I don't like Ford's location on the passenger's side.

I will be adding the following equipment to the rear of the vehicle:

Ultra lite (8 head) to the rear window, LED 3s to on a LP bracket and two recessed ghosts on the bottom of the tailgate. I would like to wire it so the ultra lite and the LED 3s shut off and the ghost turn on when you open up the hatch. I believe that these vehicles come with a "hot" wire that is trigged when the hatch is open? If so can I just use two relays to accomplish this? If so what pins do I use on the relays?

Thank you for your time!

Alex

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
How about something like this?  Originally designed for the Ford PI because of this wiring issue.  When you need to change things up, no need to rewire relays, just push a button to change which relay turns on/off.  Let me know if you need any more details.

Tony

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
What would be the easiest way to automatically turn on lights on the liftgate when opened on these cars? Im also fixing to build a few of these.
My best guess would be a mercury switch. Your other option is to use something like this door-pin switch.

Dec 2, 2012
Pender County, N.C.
You can pin out the plug that goes into the hatch latch and find the wire that goes from power to ground depending on the latches postion. A couple of diods and a relay will do the trick.. 

I stopped doing it that way, too much time and too much liability with the BCM.

Customers get three activation choices now, manual switch, slide switch 1 or both. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.