Front/Side warning on Ford Explorer grill guard ideas

Radio611

Jun 4, 2014
Leitchfield, ky
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer that I am working on outfitting for myself. I am wanting to add some lights to the side of my grill guard to aid in intersection/side warning. I am partial to Whelen equipment but have been impressed with the soundoff mpower lights here lately. I have given consideration to mounting a mpower 4" light on each side on the vertical section of the guard and put them on the 35 degree brackets to angle them slightly forwards. Or maybe use a Tir3 Whelen head on each side on a swivel bracket to angel them out some but I am not sure it would be a effective light head for that location. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? I have always ran strobes in the corner turn signals before help give side lighting but I want to try and go to something a little bit better. I have attached some pictures of the explorer and the current setup. I also plan on adding some more forward warning also later on.

20180226_172157.jpg20180301_174039.jpg

Attachments

• 20180226_172157.jpg
    20180226_172157.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 7

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I would go with surface mount single or Dual Color Intersectors or the whelen equivalents. I have single color red standard intersectors I just put them on the f150 I met you in. They are such great light heads. SOS tech support has a refurbished list and I got mine for $75 each which is a great deal. If you’re ever interested in any SOS products I would call and see what they have!

octoberguy77

May 15, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I uave a bunch of Federal Signal IMPAXX in 3 LED and 6 LED. Brand new in factory packages, manufacturing dates are mostly 2015 I believe...colors are Red and also Amber. Comes with vezels, gaskets and mounting screws. Interior/exterior mount

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I hate vertically-mounting lightheads....I don’t think you’d have good off-axis intersection warning with the mpower, a TIR3, or ion, etc.

I would horizontally mount one of the smaller M-series facing sideways or mount a M6 on an angled 45 degree bracket. If that’s above your budget, then I’d horizontally mount a fusion 180 or nforce to side of PB

Radio611

Jun 4, 2014
Leitchfield, ky
Thanks for the replies. I have seen or well seen on the internet a lot of the 180 degree pattern lights. The only ones I have had in my hands are the Whelen multi funtion lights that are Warning/flood/puddle, they worked great on my back bumper for rear warning. I have several of those but they are all amber and I want red on the front. I just didn't know really how much of the light output I would loose as being thrown in the the bumper of the explorer. If I were to fender mount on I figured it would be ideal but didn't know how well it would work being on the guard being kind of inset narrower then the profile of the SUV.

I have enough room to horizontally mount a light head or even one of the 180 degree intersector light head. My budget isn't huge but I want to try and get the most out of my money. So if it means saving a few more bucks to make for more effective warning then so be it.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I also have also had great luck with my nforces. Call
‭1 (800) 338-7337‬ SOS tech support and see what they have refurbished. I’m telling you they have great deals like 50% off retail.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.