G3 1448 Jon Boat (Photo heavy)

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Here is an install I did for my fire company on our boat (I know its not much of a boat, but it is what it is, and serves its purpose well). We have a few large fishing lakes in our area as well as a creek which leads to the Deleware Bay. The creek is 9 miles long, and has many fingers and another 5 mile creek which joins it. This area is frequented by commercial crabbers and hunters, and is actually almost as busy in the winter as when the recreational boats are out in the summer. Our department covers all of that area. We average around 2 calls per year where we have to use the boat, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Since the current engine we have on it is not capable of charging a battery, I had to come up with a solution. I went with a glass-mat battery, which is a long lasting, lightweight battery. I also installed a waterproof automatic battery maintainer to keep it at the right level. The battery will run all the lights for 4-6 hours, which is way longer than the boat will be out, probably light by the time it dies. It is rated for 5 hours at 8amps, and weighs only 38 pounds. I also installed a custom waterproof switchbox/ fuse box, and USCG navigation lights to make it safe for night operation.

The creek is tidal marshland, so there are reeds which block visibility. In addition to the search lights and navigation lights, I installed a telescopic mount for the beacon, which allows the light to extend enough to be seen from the boat ramp over the reeds. It is actually at a perfect height, and can be seen 2 miles away to the mouth of the bay. When the boat is in operation, our rescue truck has a platform where a few members usually stand to keep an eye out and search with binoculars. The beacon now allows to distinguish between the rescuers and another boat that may be out in the water as well. Before I installed the equipment, I looked at other marine units as well to get some ideas. Another company has a nearly identical boat that usually comes with us for the rescues. They have their lights mounted directly on the bar, blinding the operators eyes. All the lights were mounted to keep the light where it is needed, not in the eyes of the operator.

Equipment list:

3- Soundoff 1400 lumen par 36 flood light

1- Soundoff 500 lumen par 36 flood light

1- Star motorcycle telescopic mount

1- Star Halo led beacon

1- Odyssey PC1200 44 amp hour battery

1- Set of navigation lights (red/green front, white top)

1- Switchbox with 6 waterproof switches

Here is the boat before the lighting install.

apparatusMarine18-T.jpg

Switchbox

IMG_2225.jpg

Switchbox lit up

IMG_2226.jpg

Charger mounted

IMG_2227.jpg

Front view

IMG_2221.jpg

Closer

IMG_2230.jpg

Flood lights and beacon

IMG_2223.jpg

Beacon down

IMG_2229.jpg

Beacon extended

IMG_2231.jpg

Front view with lights on

IMG_2228.jpg

Operators perspective

IMG_2233.jpg

Navigation lights

IMG_2232.jpg

I took some pictures today, 9/17, of the boat out on a drill. I wanted to take it out and make sure it worked ok and adjust the lights. The results were great, and the boat was visible from the ramp to almost all points in the creek with the beacon extended.

Launching

IMG_2270.jpg

Underway

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

Light output (pictures do not do justice as always)

Front

IMG_2265.jpg

Side

IMG_2266.jpg

What a view!

IMG_2263.jpg

Last are some quick videos of what they look like ontop of the rescue. One with only the beacon, and the other with the flood lights on. It puts out an incredible footprint of light even through the marsh reeds.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
LED said:
Looks great! Are the switches/nav lights LED? Even minimal, that would save some power!

Thanks! Yes the switches are LED. The red/green light is led, but the white is not. The bulb does not draw much power due to the small bulb, about just as much as one of the led flood lights. After running all of the lights on for over an hour, the battery voltage was above 13v still. The battery packs a good punch for its size.

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
Nice and bright!!! Very nice looking! And hey, if it serves it purpose, who cares if its a canoe!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.