G8 G20 in Ontario, Canada

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
So... It happened last weekend, and the shit did hit the fan.

I'm hoping this does not turn political, and I was hesistating posting about this in general, but when this came out in the newspapers today... well.. I need some opinions.

I understand why the police said this, but I don't know if I really agree with it. Where does it stop, if this is allowed?

Police admit deliberately misleading public on expanded security fence law

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le1622864/

Toronto's police chief is admitting there never was a five-metre rule that had people fearing arrest if they strayed too close to the G20 security perimeter.

Civil libertarians were fuming after hearing Friday that the Ontario cabinet gave police the power to stop and search anyone coming within five metres of the G20 fences in Toronto for a one week period.

However, the Ministry of Community Safety says all the cabinet did was update the law that governs entry to such things as court houses to include specific areas inside the G20 fences — not outside.

A ministry spokeswoman says the change was about property, not police powers, and did not include any mention of a zone five metres outside the G20 security perimeter.

When asked Tuesday if there actually was a five-metre rule given the ministry's clarification, Chief Bill Blair smiled and said, “No, but I was trying to keep the criminals out.”

Premier Dalton McGuinty still hasn't explained why cabinet passed the regulation change in secret, and then keep it secret.

Even though it wasn't accurate, the public was left to believe the province had given officers the power to demand identification and detain anyone with five-metres of the G20 site.

All weekend there were reports of police stopping people throughout downtown Toronto — often in areas nowhere near the G20 zone — demanding identification and to search bags and backpacks.

Mind you, it was pretty messed up, google g20 toronto for more info. Police had it pretty rough that weekend.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Although, I do love the fact POLICE FULLY GAVE IN TO THIS PROTESTERS DEMANDS...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... cmpid=rss1

At one point Friday, the only demonstrator on the designated protest grounds was a one-year-old demanding cookies.

Despite the millions spent to keep demonstrators away from world leaders in Huntsville, the mass protests that have marked other G8 summits didn’t materialize here. A designated protest zone, a farmer’s field down the highway from the Deerhurst Resort where leaders met Friday, sat empty, except for young Tyler Spencer.

The boy wandered aimlessly around the field next to a placard that read “More Cookies for Kids.” His demands were immediately met: Police officers gave him packets of chocolate-chip cookies.

“He got his cookie, so he’s happy,” joked his mother, Jennifer. “No need for aggression.”

As Toronto is beset by protests, Huntsville residents lingered on street corners wondering where the action was.

abeta.images.theglobeandmail.com_archive_00726_g20_huntsville_k_726742gm_a.jpg

:D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.